Very tired 3 year old doing everything to keep herself up at naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 3.5 year old DD has always had sleep issues. Both my kids do. I do too. I can't take a nap to save my life. My kids can't, either. I need some help and/or thoughts. My DD will go to her room and play quietly, which is fine by me. However, on the days that she is exhausted from preschool or being outside all day, she will literally hold her eyes open or stand on her head or other crazy things to stay awake. Seriously? OK I'm a pretty smart woman but this has me baffled to no end. Why won't she just go to bed?

My DS, 17 months, also is a terrible napper. He will talk to himself, sing, and purposefully open his very very very sleepy eyes to also try to stay awake.

Both kids go to bed pretty decently, both get up 1-2 times a night but go right back down when I put them back down. This is a BLESSING because it used to be 6-7 times a night for both of them. Bad sleepers. Our routine is very no nonsense, I'm really sensitive to making sure routine is good and not a barrier, etc, but I am open to suggestions.

Is this a "thing?" I'd love any insight on what to do or if there's nothing to do, why do they do this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a suggestion to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 8 Old 04-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Is the issue with the 3.5 year old just the nap?  Because at 3.5, I'd just drop it.  My DS would always try to keep himself awake at nap time as well, and our lives got significantly easier once we dropped the nap.  There was a period of adjustment where he would get sleepy and cranky right around 2pm, but it wouldn't last long and then he'd be happy and conk out at 7p.  After a couple of weeks he stopped even acting tired in the afternoons, and it only takes him about five minutes to pass out in the evening (as opposed to an hour plus if he napped).  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#4 of 8 Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Have you tried talking to your DD about it? My DD always hated napping and dropped naps very early on. At the end she would wake up from a 40 minute nap and then cry for an hour. That still happens now on the random occasions she falls asleep during the day. I think daytime sleep is disorienting for her, and she has a hard time transitioning back into the day. Which is actually why I hate napping, too. So maybe the quiet time really is the best she can manage?
#5 of 8 Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's sad to see her so so tired but refuse to nap but we've still kept it as "quiet time" but what an odd thing to do to fight so hard. If I sit in there with her, with my hand on her back, she will fall asleep, but I only do that if I KNOW she needs it or she won't be able to function. Just a kid thing to do?

#6 of 8 Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think it is a "thing" that kids do. My toddler is almost 2.5 goes through phases of fighting naps. 3.5 is old enough to explain why we do naps, what great dreams you can have, how it makes you bigger, etc. A friend of mine has a son who is almost 3 and hits his face to keep himself awake. He still needs his nap and it's a phase. If you can get away with dropping the nap, then fine, but quiet time is nice, especially if there is no fight.

#7 of 8 Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What is a typical toddler schedule? Morning hours of wakefulness and evening? Ive started working and my 27 month old is use to nursing to sleep. Her sleep is a mess now, how can I get her back on track?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2014, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My almost 3 DD does the same thing. Exhaustion in the afternoon but refusing sleep. I laughed at the post about the child hitting himself to stay awake because she'll do extreme things like that too. I talk to her about it and tell her it's ok to rest, that lots of kids nap, fall asleep in the their carseat etc. She says "It's NOT ok, Mama. I CAN"T rest." Sigh. She gets a 2nd wind but there's 2-3 hours of the afternoon that are pretty dreadful if it's just me and her. If we're out and about or around others she slides through the sleepy window more gracefully.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page