Best rear facing car seat for toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in the market for a rear facing car seat for my DD who will be 22 months when baby #2 arrives. Looking for a highly rated seat in terms of safety and also not super expensive ($100-250 range). Would love other mother's recommendations and reviews!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a Diono radian RXT. I bought it bc it has the tallest and heaviest limits for rear facing that I could find. It has also done great in crash tests. It grows into a booster for a 120lb child so it is the only seat you could ever need. It is heavy but that is the only drawback. It's also about $275 but you can shop around and maybe get closer to a $250 price tag?

I recommend it, it's a bit pricy but you should google some reviews for it and maybe you'll see some comparison charts and find something more in your budget. I think it's worth it though.

Born August1982. Love/Marriage May2003/June2010. Home birth for daughter March2013.

#4 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All carseats, when properly installed, are equally safe.  Finding the right seat to fit your child and vehicle is the tricky part!  How big is your baby?  What vehicle will you be installing in?  Will you need to move it from vehicle to vehicle frequently?

There are actually several seats that have higher height limits than the Radian....the Chicco NextFit and the Graco seats (Headwise/Size4Me/MySize).  The Radian has a heavier weight limit, but most children will outgrow a seat by height before weight.  

To give another example...the Radian is very slim side-to-side, so if you need to fit three across, for example, it might be your best bet.  It can be challenging to fit front-to-back, though, whereas the NextFit is very compact front-to-back!

Maybe if we have more information we can help?  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#5 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer View Post

All carseats, when properly installed, are equally safe.  Finding the right seat to fit your child and vehicle is the tricky part!  How big is your baby?  What vehicle will you be installing in?  Will you need to move it from vehicle to vehicle frequently?

There are actually several seats that have higher height limits than the Radian....the Chicco NextFit and the Graco seats (Headwise/Size4Me/MySize).  The Radian has a heavier weight limit, but most children will outgrow a seat by height before weight.  

To give another example...the Radian is very slim side-to-side, so if you need to fit three across, for example, it might be your best bet.  It can be challenging to fit front-to-back, though, whereas the NextFit is very compact front-to-back!

Maybe if we have more information we can help?  smile.gif

My DD is currently around 24 lbs and about 29 inches tall at 16 1/2 months. Baby #2 isn't due til end of Sept so not sure how much bigger she'll be by then. I have a GMC Acadia SUV that seats 8. Will probably have 3 car seats in a row at some point so slim sounds like a good idea. Probably won't be switching cars a whole lot if it's a big/heavy seat.
#6 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Check out the radian r100. I think it's $220 on amazon. It rear faces until 40 lbs so it would last your daughter awhile. It doesn't have headwings or the infant insert though (your 22 month old wouldn't need it) I have the rxt and like it a lot. I wish I would have purchased the r100 because my daughter is fairly small so she is unlikely to need the extra weight limit of the r120 or rxt. The headwings can make the seat be outgrown faster because a child's shoulders can hit them before they actually outgrow the shell. Unfortunately the radian does not make a good booster for most kids.. It has a 50lb weight minimum to use it and most kids will outgrow it at the same time that they outgrow the harness. It is a great rear facing and harnessed seat though! We love the low sides and that it is so narrow. Oh and if you do buy it make sure to purchase the angle adjuster (it's around $10). It makes the seat more upright so that it takes up less space front to back.. You can use it when your child can sit on their own and has good head control.
#7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM

OK, so it looks like your daughter isn't huge....my DS just turned a year old this month and is 30 inches and 23#.  We have the Chicco NextFit in a Honda Accord, although it also fits well in our Ford E350 van, a SMALL Infiniti sedan, my daughter's Subaru Impreza, and my ancient Outback.

I would really recommend trying different seats before you buy.  I was considering the Radian, and ended up going with the NextFit, and I'm glad I did.  My sister-in-law has the Radian, and it is a pain to install--at least with the seat belt.  We couldn't even find the latch buckles (my brother wasn't there and he's the one who usually installs it).  I'm guessing that, with practice, it would be easier, and I know a lot of people really love the seat, but I didn't find it user-friendly at all.  The NextFit takes less than a minute (seriously!) to install, it has easy recline features, and this really nice "super-cinch" LATCH feature....it ratchets down very tightly!  

But, that said, there are a lot of people who prefer the Radian to the NextFit!  You may not like either seat and may prefer something else.  Given that you have a largish vehicle and a smaller child, your options are vast!  I think Babies R Us and a few other places will let you try seats out in your vehicles!  Good luck in your search!  :)  

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#8 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We love our radians. Our four year old still occasionally complains about being forward facing." What am I supposed to do with my legs?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page