Barefoot Toddlers???? Best non slip shoes closest to barefooting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS  slipped and fell on water on the concrete today.  My girls create lots of hazards for DS and he fall ALL THE TIME.  He is barefoot and wears robeez sometimes, but I do not like most soled shoes.  DS is 14 months and walks pretty well and is starting to run.  I have some SKR and other flexible shoes, but still I feel they are too structured for him.  HELP!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 8 Old 05-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have used Robeez and Bobux, but now that he's running outside too, we needed something that gripped.  (Those leather soles are very slippery)  We really like the SoftStar brand of shoes.  They offer them in so many different styles and price ranges.  I just went with the classic tie ones (I had them for my much older children.  The soles are thin rubber, and can fold easily in half, so very flexible.  The upper is soft leather, that molds to their feet after a few weeks of wear.  They also have sandals and other styles.  HIGHLY recommend them!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#4 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you so much!  We ended up going to stride rite and getting a pair of sneakers and a pair of sandals for him.  I don't like it (they are soft and flexible, but much less so than walking barefoot), but he is falling so much less.  I still keep him barefoot whenever we can (inside and outside on ground that is not slippery).  I will look into Softstar, I have a pair for my DD, but they seem super big (not so much in size, but in the way they fit her feet, like clown shoes if that makes sense....)  I have not looked at the baby shoes in a while.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#5 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if you might consider Crocs? My Juni wears them. Crocs' have a strap that securely keeps the heel in place so the shoe doesn't slip off easily. They're light in weight and being perforated round the toes, keep her feet aerated and cool. Croc's soles are non-slip, too. And they come in many wonderful colours. :)

#6 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Robeez are fine unless you need a lot of traction. Once we need more shoe I look around. Stride Rite sometimes has something lightweight and flexible enough. Sometimes See Kai Run. Not Crocs at any age. I think they are a huge safety hazard for young children and aren't allowed pretty much any place we go, meaning the facilities and schools forbid them.

#7 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Have you tried Skidders?  I actually haven't used them, but I've considered it a bunch of times in my hours of shoe searching :)  They look pretty cool and sell some of the styles at Target so you can easily check them out before buying.

#8 of 8 Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

We've used stride rites and DD does well in them.  She's a bruiser at 2.5 and usually is barefoot, but has no problem running in her stride rites when we need to go somewhere that shoes are required!  I actually think she trips more in shoes than barefoot but such is life!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page