Are our toddlers over booked? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Back before DD could even walk, I joined a Natural/Attachment Parenting group in my area, I was hoping to meet other moms and get DD socialized a little bit.  Now DD is almost 18 months old, and I feel we have fell into the trap of over booking!  The Mamas in my group are on the go constantly!  I am too tired to keep up!  In addition to household errands, I was starting to feel like we were never home.  I have now backed off on outings and get togethers.  I forgot how nice it is just to stay home and play and nurse freely.  My new goal is one or two social outings a week, what about you?  Do you think toddlers are over booked these days?!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have a 13 month old DD and we live in a <400 sq ft apartment. We are out every day, mostly to the park, back for a nap and lunch and then chores in the afternoon and play at home time. For some people my schedule might be a bit much but We need to get out because we are just so cramped. I'm sure that if we were in a bigger place or if we had a yard we wold not be gone so much.

Born August1982. Love/Marriage May2003/June2010. Home birth for daughter March2013.

#3 of 7 Old 05-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Just read a book about over-scheduling... and I am sort of at a loss to know what is meant to be too much - though apparently I'm meant to ensure she is bored, to make her more self-reliant and creative...

I'm a stay-at-home-mum.  My husband is out from 7am -ish and not usually back before 6pm... sometimes a bit later.  I would go bonkers if I had to spend most of the week at home with my 2 year old.  She's a couple of months shy of 3 years old, but as completely as I love her, I reckon a aweek of domestic tasks asssisted by a toddler would be pretty dull.

Our typical week is:

Monday playgroup in the morning, drama class in the afternoon

Tuesday - mums and tots, lunch with another mum

wednesday - trip to the museum, pm - dancing class

thurs - playgroup in the morning, outing to the park - next week we're going to the theatre

Fri - parent and tot group, lunch with friends...

The only free afternoon we had last week, we ended up at the zoo.  However, we are usually at home for a couple of hours between waking up and going out...  sometimes back for lunch and usually back by around 4 pm - leaving a whole 4 hours before bedtime...   

I can't imagine spending all day at home - I really can't.  I only have the one toddler at home.  I don't have any family close by,so I don't get family visitors - my neighbours are mostly professional working mothers, who are out at work.   If I didnt' organise stuff for us to do, playdates etc we'd be really isolated.

#4 of 7 Old 05-04-2014, 09:40 PM

I try not to book too many things for my soon-to-be-3yo... She doesnt do daycare or any weekly classes/activities. But maybe twice a week we'll have a play date or outing in the morning with friends, and three evenings a week her grandparents come over for dinner (3 to 7). We will also do errands once a week (which she loves).

When she was my only child, and during the worst months of winter, I felt compelled to go out more often... Just to preserve my sanity. But now, not so much. I look forward to our free mornings when we can slow down and putter about, and I just dont have any reason to rush the kids. I love the days when my dd1 can get dressed and 'help' with the cooking or chores all at her own pace.
#5 of 7 Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Susan View Post

I can't imagine spending all day at home - I really can't.  I only have the one toddler at home.  I don't have any family close by,so I don't get family visitors - my neighbours are mostly professional working mothers, who are out at work.   If I didnt' organise stuff for us to do, playdates etc we'd be really isolated.

I feel the same many days! 

#6 of 7 Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanani View Post

I try not to book too many things for my soon-to-be-3yo... She doesnt do daycare or any weekly classes/activities. But maybe twice a week we'll have a play date or outing in the morning with friends, and three evenings a week her grandparents come over for dinner (3 to 7). We will also do errands once a week (which she loves).

When she was my only child, and during the worst months of winter, I felt compelled to go out more often... Just to preserve my sanity. But now, not so much. I look forward to our free mornings when we can slow down and putter about, and I just dont have any reason to rush the kids. I love the days when my dd1 can get dressed and 'help' with the cooking or chores all at her own pace.

Right there with ya! My 2.5yo DD is home with my FIL - DH works full time, I'm part time so only gone for 5 hours (30min commute each way).  Because I don't start til 10, I get to spend quality time with her in the mornings snuggling, playing, cooking and we always make breakfast together. When I get home around 230, weather depending we tend to hang out in the yard on the swings or gardening, maybe drawing with chalk or blowing bubbles, bike rides....very casual!  Occasionally we play with 2 little girls on the street if they happen to be walking by and have had a play date here and there or she's gone to the library for story time with my aunt.  But nothing is set in stone.  Her only engagement thus far has been ISR swim lessons and I've contemplated a gymnastics class in the future, but I hate being tied down to a busy schedule so I'm waiting for her to ask for things before I go ahead and book them!

#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Overbooked three year old girl

I have a three year old and she is very overbooked this week. This is a typical Summer week
Mondays- mommy circle at 9, lunch with grandma at 12, soccer kids at 4
Tuesdays- free morning, watch a movie at the theaters 1 and eat at the theater, ballet practice
Wednesdays- visit cousins all day take a 3 hour drive there and then again back.
Thursdays- ballet practice and rest
Fridays- music class and tutor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page