Swingsets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2004, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have their own swingset in their backyard? What kind of apparatus do you have on it? Is it wood, metal, or plastic? What kind of surface is underneath of the swingset? What is the price range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 01:30 PM

We have a metal swingset with 2 swings, a teeter toter, a 2 seated glider and a slide. We have it set up in our grassy backyard and it cost us around $150-200 and a million hours to put together. Ok, not really a million, but a good 12-20 hrs. There were a ton of little pieces, but the kids really like it now that it's together.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 05-03-2004, 02:46 PM

We share a metal one. The legs are set in concrete in the grass.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:16 PM

We have a metal one with two swings and a glider. It doesn't have a slide but we have a little tykes climbing cube with a slide. The swingset cost about 50-60 dollars at an outlet. We have the legs set in concrete, but the whole play area is about 8" deep in mulch to prevent falling injuries. I think rubber (either poured or shredded) is supposed to be the safest substrate but we found it prohibitively expensive. Mulch is the next safest and is much cheaper, ours was free.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:03 PM

Hi! We just got one for my dd a couple of weeks ago. We love it! It was exspensive but IMO worth it. We bought one of those Rainbow Playthings systems because they use non chemical treated redwood. We didnt get the the big huge ones but one of the smaller ones. It was on sale for $1999. Here is a picture (see dd in the clubhouse) lol http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...55080000002610
Old 05-03-2004, 06:17 PM

That is a REALLY good price for the Rainbow Playthings set. I hope you guys are loving it! Ours is still on order and we are waiting... not so patiently. :LOL

They weigh enough (we're talking tons here) so they don't have to be secured with concrete in the ground.

Jennifer
Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 PM

We got a metal one & it was really hard to put together. It isn't anchored into the ground & it is rusty & falling apart. We couldn't have afforded one of those really nice wooden sets, but I wish we'd spent $3-400 to get a middle of the road wooden set. I really do regret getting the metal one--thought I was being smart saving money, but in the end, you get what you pay for.

Good luck--I know I really struggled with the decision.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm lucky - my mom and dad want to buy it for DS with their tax return & they want him to have something that will last.

We looked at one just like this one - Little Gym in the swingset store. It's on sale for $400 off the listed price, plus a picnic table is installed in the footprint, plus free shipping and installation, but I had to order by today. I decided we couldn't pass it up if we were really going to get one, so it'll be installed next week! We added a baby bucket, of course. After hearing from you all, I think I'm as excited that I don't have to install it as anything else!

BTW, Thundersweet, that gym is awesome - I wanna come over and play!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:29 AM

The thing to watch out for with a wood set is that it isn't treated with CCA (chromated copper arsenate) which is a form of arsenic and has been linked to increased cancer rates. Whatever playset you buy, make sure to check with the manufacturer about this!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 05-04-2004, 12:52 AM

We have a Rainbow Playset and love it. We got last year's model and got it a lot cheaper - like $500 off list and free install. The time to buy playsets is in January and February because the new models come out in March. See if they have a Rainbow Outlet or some not so perfect models - they offered us one of those and it was really cheap (but we went with a new one). It is so worth the money when you see the hours of enjoyment your kids have on it!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 AM

thundersweet ~we're totally coming over to YOUR house to play!
We got a "middle-of-the-road" wooden swingset used for 100 bucks. I did something pretty gutsy for a gal like me and asked a stranger for it. I had noticed this older couple had a nice set in their back yard and then when they put up a "For Sale" sign on their house, I asked if they were taking the swing set with them. They said they had just had it for when their grandkids came over, but since they were too old for it now, they were going to sell it for 200 at a yard sale. But since I had asked about it, they offered it to me for 100 if my DH would take it down! They had bought it for 400 and kept it in pristine condition (can't say that we're doing the same )

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 05-04-2004, 03:11 AM

were trying to decide between the ones at sam's and costco.both under 1k and big! there both made by big names under a different name for the stores .
Old 05-04-2004, 10:00 PM

We plan to buy this one for Austin from Costco:
http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...2&log=&NavTop=

It's a Rainbow Playsystems one, and in store pickup is $999.99 which is great for us since the retailer we talked to wanted at least double for it, plus labor & delivery costs (wouldn't let us pick it up, and they have to install it for you!). It'll take a long time to set up, but it's worth it.

Apparently Costco will have them in stock until July 1, so we'll probably get it in early June (too much other stuff going on right now to get it).

We currently have a little tikes or something plastic swing set. The old folks who lived here before left it. It's blue & white, 2 swings, slide, see saw, and a hanging bar thingy? I can't stand it, and we'll probably end up giving it away for free or less than $50 at most (it's not in that bad condition actually). If you know anyone in Corvallis who wants a swing set and will pick it up themselves - its yours.

Anyways, I'm in love with the wooden ones, and our neighbors kids have one and use it all the time. Austin loves them too - he'll be overjoyed when we finally get ours.

I've seen them new on ebay as well for under $1k, but no idea what they're like.
Rissa
Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 PM

We have the playscape from Costco and LOVE it!!! It's like having a playground in our own backyard! It was under $1000 and great for my 4 year old twins and my almost 2 year old. We even bought the infant swing attachment for the baby

Good luck and happy hunting

PS. We were told that it was so hard to put together but my hubby put it together on his own (and let me tell you... he can't even unclog a sink!)

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
Old 05-04-2004, 11:18 PM

With the Costco Rainbow Playsystems one, it will work with all the Rainbow attachments right?

I was looking at their website at these options:
http://www.rainbowplay.com/clubhouse_options.shtml

And am hoping that I can just order those from a Rainbow dealer and they should hook on & off the Costco set easily, right? We're mainly looking at the adult bench swing, hammock, tire swing and commercial toddler bucket swing.

Anyone have any experience with those?

Rissa
Old 05-04-2004, 11:52 PM

i noticed the other day the sams one has two swing sections,i still can't decide.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:52 PM
EMZ

My dad built one quite cheaply and dd loves it.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:21 AM

well i guess we're poor folk lol, but we picked up a metal swingset from kmart for $100.
It has two swings, a slide, a teeter totter and one of those swing bars. We took that down and put the babys lil tykes swing on that.
its cemented down into the grass
Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM

We have a big wood play area. It has an area for 3 swings, a fort area with a slide, monkey rings, and 3 climbing walls. I love it because it will grow with my kids. We've had it for 2 years, and the kids still love it. They play on it just about every day. And there are still areas (the monkey rings) that they're not big enough for- so hopefully they won't lose interest too quickly.

We bought an assemble-it-yourself kit from Mendards. The name of the company that makes the set is PlayStar. It cost us about $700 2 years ago- not sure if the price has gone up. It did take a fair amount of work to put together. But we LOVE it!

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsideMommy
With the Costco Rainbow Playsystems one, it will work with all the Rainbow attachments right?

I was looking at their website at these options:
http://www.rainbowplay.com/clubhouse_options.shtml

And am hoping that I can just order those from a Rainbow dealer and they should hook on & off the Costco set easily, right? We're mainly looking at the adult bench swing, hammock, tire swing and commercial toddler bucket swing.

Anyone have any experience with those?

Rissa
Rissa there is a place called Swingworks here in Ga. The guy who installed out Rainbow told us about them. We wanted to get the bucket swing since we forgot to add that to our order and Rainbow wanted to charge us $100 and for us to go to the showroom and pick it up. We went to Swingworks and got the exact same swing and vinyl dipped chain shipped (they were out of the yellow at the time)to my door for like $47-$50. I was all worried it would not be the same but indeed it was. So bascially half the price of what Rainbow wanted to charge us. Feel free to pm me if you want the number or need more info on them. I am sure they offer all the same stuff.

User Tag List