16 month old stacking duplos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
16 month old stacking duplos

DS just turned 16 months and is just such a fun little boy. He has 2 older sisters (3.5 and almost 6). He is super active and keeps me on my toes. He amazed me yesterday when he took 4 duplos blocks and stacked them and unstacked them a few times (he had to rotate and twist it to fit in place). My olders didn't like this kind of thing until well after 2 and didn't really like puzzles or other things like that until after 3. He is not very verbal at all yet. I would say he can say mom, dad and that pretty well, but he uses 'that' for just about everything. He really tries to talk and communicate, but we still have a really hard time understanding him.

Anyways, really 2 different subjects here, just wondering mostly if other kids do the stacking at this age, and also if there is a correlation with low verbal skills.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have no idea about a correlation but my daughter is a crazy stacker with a "speach delay". She was referred to speach at her 24 month check up. We will be going at the end of the month. Mt first daughter never wanted to stack anything. I think it's funny how different they are. I am not concerned, I just think she is a "do-er" not a "talker".
#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Probably no correlation, just different kids learning different skills at different times. My 2.5yr old was a super early talker, and has always been hyper verbal for her age (very hard to convince people she's under the age limit for child or free admission at some places when she talks non-stop!!!) but she was also very puzzle oriented at a young age. Not this past xmas but the previous one, she was 13mos old and I got her a ton of wooden blocks, duplos, and the melissa & doug chunky puzzles and she's been fascinated with them all ever since. Around that age she was really into organizing her wooden blocks by shape and color, it was pretty cool to watch as she lined them all up on her book shelves. You can certainly use the blocks to your advantage as a learning opportunity to gauge what he knows in terms of colors and shapes, and just keep repeating the words to him after he tries to say them to you. My friend does speech pathology and does lots of games like that to encourage language. Does he watch you at all while you speak, ie read lips? I found this to be a huge advantage with my DD as she was constantly watching my mouth move and focusing on how to form words. I still use that skill to help her enunciate better and pronounce new or difficult words by breaking them down and mouthing them slowly.

Also anecdotal, but most of my friends have boys and they have pretty much all spoken much later than the girls but were better at hands-on tasks than the girls at a younger age.
#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My now 3.5 year old DS was a late talker (no words until 18mo, totally normal language now), and also really into stacking really early. He could make a block tower several blocks high by his first birthday. He's now very gross-motor oriented and not so much into stacking/puzzles anymore.

I also hear anecdotally that boys tend to talk later.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know two smarty-pants kind of anti-social quiet types who were naturally very inquisitive and didnt talk until they were 3. IDK how much is coincidence...

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
DS just turned 16 months and is just such a fun little boy. He has 2 older sisters (3.5 and almost 6). He is super active and keeps me on my toes. He amazed me yesterday when he took 4 duplos blocks and stacked them and unstacked them a few times (he had to rotate and twist it to fit in place). My olders didn't like this kind of thing until well after 2 and didn't really like puzzles or other things like that until after 3. He is not very verbal at all yet. I would say he can say mom, dad and that pretty well, but he uses 'that' for just about everything. He really tries to talk and communicate, but we still have a really hard time understanding him.

Anyways, really 2 different subjects here, just wondering mostly if other kids do the stacking at this age, and also if there is a correlation with low verbal skills.
There is actually sometimes a correlation with kids who prefer "manipulatives" that they can have expressive language delays--
duplos are great for spatial and logical intelligence but don't encourage much verbal play--
freeform blocks have been linked to greater language advances in children who prefer "manipulatives"

My son is very similar-sounding to yours and so I have been looking up studies!
#7 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

My child is 15 months and is stacking blocks. He loves them. His verbal skills are lacking as well. He uses those exact same words.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page