One year old fighting sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One year old fighting sleep

Trying this here because no one responded on the "Life with Baby" page. I guess at one-year-old he's not as much of a baby anymore, though.

Hi mamas. I could really use some advice and/or support right now. I'm feeling pretty exasperated about my almost one-year-old and sleep. Until recently, he took all naps in the Ergo. About a month ago we transitioned to me nursing him to sleep in our family bed for naps. It was going pretty well, except that he seems to always wake after a half hour. Then all of the sudden he seemed to be fighting all sleep, both nap times and bedtime. Now when I take him in for a nap or bed, even when he's obviously already tired, it's as if he can't stop moving. He'll nurse, then sit up abruptly, crawl around, I'll try to wrangle him into a nursing position again, he'll cry, I'll let him crawl awhile, try again, over and over, until finally he nurses to sleep (or nurses a bit then rolls over and goes to sleep). It's so exhausting for me, and I sometimes have a hard time containing my frustration. And, of course, I always think, "what am I doing wrong?" I don't like feeling like I'm wrestling him -- I strive to be respectful of him and his needs, including his need to move! -- but it seems if I don't try to contain him a little he would never sleep again. (I'm sure this isn't true, of course.) It just feels like a battle, and I'm feeling so disconnected from him lately. It makes me so very sad. Does this sound normal? Should I not try to physically contain him when he's crying/trashing/trying to escape so he can crawl more? What's the gentle and respectful thing to do in this case (while also keeping my sanity and getting him some sleep)? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I remember, around a year was a really challenging time, especially for sleep (generally the 6 month marks were and still are challenging, mine is now 2.5). They're going through so many changes physically and mentally that it makes it hard for them to settle. With mine, I found the more I tried to wrangle her in or keep her from moving, the more she tried to. I guess I just tried to let her kick, crawl, roll, etc. And then kept cycling back to bouncing, nursing. Bedtime around a year generally took me and hour or more. I just tried to make peace with it, as the more impatient I was, the longer it would take. Around 14 months, she went from 2 naps to 1 and bedtime got a lot easier, taking more like 20 minutes. Now at 2.5, we're back to about an hour. Things go through a cycle of bwing easier and harder. I guess I just figure I'll wait it out and soon it will all be a distant memory. Good luck, mama.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page