Putting toddler and baby to bed in the same room - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Putting toddler and baby to bed in the same room

Just looking for some ideas on how to put toddler and baby to bed in the same room. Ds turned 2 in April and dd is 4 months. We all sleep in the same room. Dd's crib is about a foot from the beds the rest of us sleep in. Ds goes to bed at 8 every night without too much fuss. We put dd to bed around the same time. Originally we would put her to sleep in her vibrating chair then bring her up with us when we went to bed. Then we would keep her down for about an hour until she was well asleep then bring her up. Lately I've started putting dd to bed at 7.45 then bringing ds in for song, sleep. Issue is he is often loud and wakes her, then I am stuck trying to get them both down. Last night was bad, it seemed like it would take her 7 minutes to fall asleep (nursing) and 7 minutes also seemed to be the longest ds could go without kicking me or saying something loudly and waking her. This happened several times for 40 minutes. I eventually snapped at ds to be quiet then I felt bad. It's totally not his responsibility to get dd to sleep. So, what do I do? Suggestions? It had been 4 months and I really need some time to myself every day. Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
No suggestions but I'm curious to as I will have a baby in December and a two year old who I will probably end up sharing a room once the baby is 4-6 months and not sleeping in our room anymore.
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey sorry I probs won't be much help as my dd is 2 and my ds is 1! 12 months between them so my younger son has more sleep in the day but other than that they go down at the same time and gabble for ages before they both pass out.
Could you manipulate the situation so your youngest is v tired and go down slightly earlier, like 7/7.30 and by the time ds goes to bed she will be in a nice deep sleep. Could do stories and milk in the living room and then straight up and into bed, quick cuddle and sleep so he knows the room is for sleeping?
After a few weeks your babe will probs be used to his noises anyway and sleep through them 😊
#4 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieevieollie View Post
Hey sorry I probs won't be much help as my dd is 2 and my ds is 1! 12 months between them so my younger son has more sleep in the day but other than that they go down at the same time and gabble for ages before they both pass out.
Could you manipulate the situation so your youngest is v tired and go down slightly earlier, like 7/7.30 and by the time ds goes to bed she will be in a nice deep sleep. Could do stories and milk in the living room and then straight up and into bed, quick cuddle and sleep so he knows the room is for sleeping?
After a few weeks your babe will probs be used to his noises anyway and sleep through them 😊
Actually @Annie that's exactly what we tried and after a couple weeks dd did sleep through the noise but ds was so excited from having someone in the room that he took forever to fall asleep.

A week ago we started putting dd to sleep in the spare room then moving her to the bedroom with us when we go to bed. It's working perfectly! We even had a couple friends over on Saturday!!
#5 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM

I started to answer, then realized it was totally personal to my kid, so who knows... anyway.

Here's what I would do: I'd make sure the room is as noise-proof as it can be with a LOUD fan or white noise machine. My personal fave is a Vornado fan. They are SOOOO loud. I can PM you my DIY mesh-baby-finger-protector set-up.

Then, I'd put the littlest to bed first, since I think younger babies are louder when tired (mine would WAIL) and sleep better through sounds and since they are (in some ways) easier to put back to bed when woken (at least if she is nursing to sleep a lot like mine did). Do this while the older one is right next to you in the room also quieting down. Maybe a quiet activity, like book flipping or anything she can do mostly without help. Maybe at some point your partner takes the older kid to brush teeth and stuff, or maybe you did that before.

Then, when the baby is asleep, focus attention on the older kid until they are in bed.

Based on my kid's schedules at this age, this would have worked. 6:00pm bedtime until 9 months old, and now 7:30pm bedtime until...?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM

Also, based on what I have seen at daycare, where 1 woman puts down 2-3 babies at a time in a big room full of floor beds with 8 total babies and big windows, babies can learn some amazing new habits with persistence. All these kids are totally unique and have different sleeping arrangements at home, but they have adapted.

These kids just crawl into their own little beds and then the teacher sings for them all and pats or caresses some while the others doze off on their own. It's amazing to see. No pacis. No bottles. No bouncing. Just soothing voices, singing, and little caresses. She did say some required more teaching, especially once fully mobile.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page