Mothering Forum banner

Where do you buy toddler boy clothes?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  cynthiamoon 
#1 ·
I am somewhat frustrated with the selection of boys/toddler apparel out there. I have shopped at Target, Gap, Jack & Jane, H&M. Options are much more limited for boys vs girls and styles just aren't great. Where do you buy stylish cool clothes for toddlers without breaking the bank?

#2 ·
The Children's Place often has great sales, and their stuff is cute. It is annoying though how stores always seem to have lots more girl clothes than boy clothes.

Reactions: Yaliina
#5 ·
There's a Children's Place in my town and yes, sometimes I get lucky and find pieces that are descent quality, descent design and fairly priced (their sales are awesome I must admit.) But it's totally hit or miss. Most of the time, I walk out with another blue t-shirt with another stupid truck or whale imprinted on it. I think toddler boys clothing needs a revamp!

#3 · (Edited)
I am very selective about my toddler son's clothing. I like soft, rugged fabrics that are comfortable to move in, and classic, but modern style. No logos, no characters, no precocious styles. I seriously dislike toddler clothes that are styled like goofy adult male clothes, and find that the majority of clothes are styled this way.
I buy all second hand, and the brand that stands out for me is H and M. I like the bright colours, and they also do organic.
Also, their sizing is great for my son who is tall, lean in the hips and long in the torso. He has been comfortably wearing the 1.5 to 2 size from 17 months to now and still has room. The size 2-3 now fits too. Most other 2 T stuff is smaller and less propotionately well sized. It Canada, there is a brand called Joe that does nice basics too. Some Carters stuff is o.k too, although the quality can sometimes be very poor.

#7 ·
I think you and I share the same style points! H&M is indeed a great option and at the moment it is my go-to. I never really thought about second hand clothes and will definitely try that out. I guess my ultimate pain point is that I am a working mom and just do not have the time or patience to troll around for clothes. I would like one trusted line of clothes that is durable, decently priced and takes me less than 20 minutes to check-in/out. Sorry for the rant!

#4 ·
Funny I have girls and boys and I'm more annoyed with the girls clothes than the boys. I guess because I'm pretty simple with my son. He wears jeans or shorts with tshirts and/or polo shirts and button ups. He likes it and they're comfortable cute and basic clothes. The girls clothes do have more options and are adorable but I find so much of it is indecent and too "grown up" to want my daughters running around in it. I've been looking at the Hanna Anderson clothes lately though (as I mentioned in another thread) and they seem to have cute decent clothes for boys or girls. I got good reviews on them too and the prices aren't bad at least not in their sales.

#6 ·
Thanks for the Hanna Anderson referral! Cute stuff. However, I'm not crazy about spending $20+ (that's the sale price) for a t-shirt that my lo is going to just romp around in dirt, mud, sand.

Question, do ever share clothes between your girls and boys? Or, do you have distinct wardrobe for each?

#10 · (Edited)
Crazyms- that is a really innovative ebay seller! That seems like a great option. Is ebay easy to buy from, in terms of transactions and such? Never done it myself.

NuH- One second hand shopping tip I can offer is to shop for future items as well. You may only find one or two great things for now, but you can find great off season stuff for bigger sizes at the same time, thus saving shopping hours. I have my son's 2014/2015 fall and winter wardrobe pretty much complete already by shopping this way.

Have you tried online shopping, maybe at H+M where you know you already like the style and know the sizing?

Also, if craigslist is active in your area, you can put a Wanted add for the particular pieces you want. I have made connections with other Moms with similar taste that way, and that led to continued sales just by quick email and pickup/dropoff.

#11 ·
Now that DS is staying in one size for longer, I really like Hanna Anderson. It is expensive, but the quality is excellent. If I know we're going to be doing something particularly messy, he wears thrift store stuff (or goes naked). But I like that with HA I know it will last for more than one kid. I purposely buy as gender neutral as possible so I could theoretically pass DS's clothes on to a potential future sister. I tend to buy very simple clothes - knit pants/shorts because DS HATES jeans, and solid or striped tee shirts. HA, H&M, and Target are my go-to's.

#12 ·
Yeah, Hanna Anderson is great. I bought my son a couple of things from an outlet store of theirs once. One of the shirts I bought was a bit big for him, so he has been wearing it for almost two years, and it still looks good as new.

#14 ·
I buy good clothes and reuse, sell on ebay or at a resale shop, hand-me-down, and/or donate. I mostly buy Tea Collection, Mini Boden, Hanna Anderson, and fill in from Target, Gap, and American Apparel. I like really comfortable, easy-on, cotton, elastic-waisted, and soft clothing. No zippers, heavy fabrics, skinny legs, characters, etc.

#16 ·
I also buy the clothes I really want (on sale!) and resell on Ebay, often getting nearly what I originally paid. I mostly stick with Hanna Andersson, Mini Boden, Tea Collection and Joules. I get some things from LL Bean, Gap, Carters and Etsy (we love Silk Oak, great silkscreened knit cotton pieces). And Hanna Andersson is pricey but it wears like nothing else and lasts for us for at least 2 years/sizes, unlike most other brands. This is also true of their outerwear (coats, snowsuits/snow pants).

#18 ·
Yes. I feel you. I was overseas when my son was born and in an expat community of mostly European parents. Everyone had these beautiful linen and cashmere things on their newborns. Stuff I had never seen back home. I got annoyed when I tried to find similar styles on the US but with more research than I'd like to admit... i have a pretty damn sharp wardrobe for my toddler son and I paid very little for it.

I use Ebay and have searches for the brands I like so it's easy to check in quickly and see if there are deals. I have cleaned up when people put large lots of clothing up for auction.

I also use Zulily as they sometimes have good stuff usually categorised as "from France"

My fav brands I search for are:

Janie and Jack (i skip the overly cutsie themed t-shirts but love their linens)
Jojo Maman bebe (best quality cotton basics in sweet English seaside stripes etc)
Petit Bateau (pricy but lots comes up second hand)
Petit Nimes (just discovered this brand on Zuliy - very sweet.

I skim the sale racks at the Gap though I don't love their graphic Ts and cartoon stuff. They do have dapper little jackets and good sweaters.

When I want to splurge or just drool over things I really can't justify buying I play on the Chateau de Sable website. Le sigh.

#20 ·
Used Boys Clothes!

I love buying (and selling) my kids' clothes at thredUP! Some of the cheapest clothing (pricewise--good quality though) that I've found online. I don't like spending a whole lot on kids clothing since they grow out of them so quickly, so I tend to shop at thredUP a lot. I always tell my girlfriends about it when I can because there's actually great stuff on there ridiculously cheap.

#21 ·
I just discovered ThredUp for maternity clothes & am in love- though I haven't received my box yet (it just shipped), the prices are really great & they seem like an online (and well-stocked) version of one of those upscale second-hand stores that are starting to pop up here & there. I didn't think to check them for kid's clothes, but that's a great idea!

I HATE Target for boys! Almost every time I go there looking for little boy clothes I get upset because there are SO MANY racks of cute girl clothes on sale, and one puny little rack for boys, and mostly not stuff I'd buy for my LO. Their older boys clothes are better, though the prices are really not any better than (and often more pricey than) sales at other, better-quality stores like Children's Place, Carter's Outlet, or Kohl's. I have found that for my older (8 yo) son, who is stout (built like a linebacker), Sears is the only place that has husky pants that fit him in the waist and don't drag the ground.

I'm glad I caught this thread. I don't always think about thrift (and then I kick myself for not thinking of it). I'm going to have to go find both my boys something to wear to a funeral this weekend, and I think I'll start at the thrift shops first. I hate paying full price for something they'll wear once.

#22 ·
I just discovered ThredUp for maternity clothes & am in love- though I haven't received my box yet (it just shipped), the prices are really great & they seem like an online (and well-stocked) version of one of those upscale second-hand stores that are starting to pop up here & there. I didn't think to check them for kid's clothes, but that's a great idea!

I HATE Target for boys! Almost every time I go there looking for little boy clothes I get upset because there are SO MANY racks of cute girl clothes on sale, and one puny little rack for boys, and mostly not stuff I'd buy for my LO. Their older boys clothes are better, though the prices are really not any better than (and often more pricey than) sales at other, better-quality stores like Children's Place, Carter's Outlet, or Kohl's. I have found that for my older (8 yo) son, who is stout (built like a linebacker), Sears is the only place that has husky pants that fit him in the waist and don't drag the ground.

I'm glad I caught this thread. I don't always think about thrift (and then I kick myself for not thinking of it). I'm going to have to go find both my boys something to wear to a funeral this weekend, and I think I'll start at the thrift shops first. I hate paying full price for something they'll wear once.
I agree targets girl clothes are cute but the boys stuff is not so great!

#23 ·
That's so funny. I have a girl, and when I go to target, I usually walk out with mostly boy clothes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.