suggestions, please! mobility/exercise (?!) toys for 15-month-old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
suggestions, please! mobility/exercise (?!) toys for 15-month-old

I'd like to purchase an indoor mobility or exercise toy (not sure what to call it!) for my 15-month-old. I was thinking of a swing to hang from a door frame, but I'd really like to have something that she can use on her own, without me needing to help her in/out and push her around. When we are indoors, I want her to have the option of being active if she feels like it.

She has a little pushcart which she uses sometimes -- but she'd rather sit in it and be pushed than push it around! One friend has suggested a small trampoline. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I will second the small trampoline. I don't recall if DD used it at 15 mo, but there are some that have a bar for kids to hold that would make it usable earlier. DD has loved hers from 2 to now 3, and I use it for exercise myself.
#3 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
We have a little plastic slippery dip which could be used inside. Also, those pop-up tunnels can be fun for little kids to crawl through and hide in.

Or what about a dolls pram to push her babies around in?
#4 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 AM

I've always had a little plastic Little Tikes/Step 2 climber in the house for the kids. When my first batch of kids were small, we had an entire active room--big climber with a wading pool at the bottom (filled with ballpit balls), mini-trampoline, etc. Now with our new little guy (also 15 months), we have a Step 2 Kangaroo Climber next to the couch in the living room. I like that particular model because it has a slide, a half-door, platform and sides that they can climb up. DS LOVES it and climbs all over it.

We also have a Radio Flyer push wagon and trike.

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#5 of 7 Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You don't mention if you're dealing with any motor delays, but if you are, look at the category OT on pinterest. Otherwise, things that have worked well for me after 12 months (at encouraging gross motor play/movement) that didn't cost hardly anything:

Climbing: small cardboard boxes stuff with newspaper to climb on, couch cushions

Crawling: large ridiculous pillows/stuffed animals/couch cushions (from the thrifstore/yardsales/free on the side of the road)

Novel terrain: parks, playgrounds, municipal buildings where there's lots of steps and things with different heights to negotiate. Good workout.

Push toys/Rolling toys: Encourages a lot of skills related to prewalking/walking

Swings/hammocks/etc (see DIY swings, therapy swings, etc instructions on the internet )

Exercise balls, big balls
#6 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD's fave thing to throw and chase around the room is an old-school rubber ball. Simple toys are the best! She also gets a lot of exercise moving things from one place to another, whatever they are. Her favorite is taking all her cloth diapers and putting them in her toy bin. She runs back and forth across the room till the job is done, then reverses. It's so funny to watch! Is it possible your kid is already plenty mobile on her own? Or is she really just a sit in one spot and poke at things kind of kid?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 04:06 PM

Good luck!

Trampolines are great for outside.

Another really great and affordable plan is pretend play. In agreement with cynthiamoon for keeping it simple and letting the imagination wonder. Dressing up as superheroes, princesses, running around with capes.... Great Pretenders offer some fun stuff and tips: http://greatpretenders.ca/

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page