delayed speech in 2 year old WoRRIED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy delayed speech in 2 year old WoRRIED

i have a son who is exactly 26 months old who doesnt talk and i am quite worried after searching dr google
as every page i have come across says autism i will explain a bit more about my son and if anyone could give me someadvice
i would be very grateful

firstly his speech he doesnt talk more than 3 words but does babble alot

when he needs something he will not point but will take my hand drag me and make me get what he wants ..but only does this when it is something he cannot do

he hits alot and when we tell him to stop if we get angry at him will start to cry but will continue to hit and sometimes will hit when he gets embarassed or when he hits his brother he will laugh im not sure if hes just testing us or not

he makes alot of eye contact
plays with children his age
is social but shy at the same time
he follows me everywhere
is very aware of his surroundings
very affectionate
responds to his name straight away unless hes watching mickey mouse
always come to me for help if he cant do something
can also be very demanding
loves playing ball with his dad and brother

i have made an appointment with a speech pathologist but there is still 4 days im very worried and im currently suffering from anxiety with makes the situation worse if anyone could give me some advice am i overreacting or should i be worried
#2 of 7 Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 AM

I have five kids, and my middle child (youngest daughter), didn't really start talking until she was over two. She would say "EEEE" for everything and point. I wish I had done signing with her! I signed with both of my sons, and it really helped, because they had words before they could actually speak, if that makes sense! Have you tried any signs? Try not to stress. It sounds like your son is fine mama!

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#3 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Smile

no i havent tried actually although my first son which is 8 now did talk quite late i am still worried maybe i have just looked into it too much
thanks for the advice
#4 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Alot of his behaviors sound like he's just a bit frustrated that he can't quite communicate. The fact that he's watching and aware of everything is a good sign and kids like that will just wake up talking one day. Being shy is something all kids go through at one point or another but definitely more so if they are embarrassed or unable to communicate with others. I've known a few kids who were late talkers, some got early intervention, others just caught up on their own time.
#5 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Our good friend is a speech therapist & she recommends starting with sign language regardless of age.
With that said, if you are in the states, I recommend contacting your early intervention office. They are great and it's free. All play based therapy & they can look at your DS & give you recommendations on activities that will enhance his development.
#6 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I think a lot of it has to do with personality. I have 5 kids and I noticed that some where different than others. I also think that in some instances gender affects it too...from what I have seen in a lot of cases, boys tend to talk later than girls ...but obviously this is not always the case. With my first son, he would TRY to talk as he was very social......but you could tell he just couldn't talk quite right. So as advised, I put him in speech. He VERY quickly went from babbling to talking plain as day. The speech pathologist was even amazed! I thank God for his progress...as I wanted him to be out of it before school. He was in the program less than a year. By 4 months the pathologist was talking about dismissing him...but wanted to keep him until 6 months just to be on the safe side...by 5 months, she was convinced he had overcome and said he was pretty much just coming at that point to keep her from having extra paper work to do to release him early..lol..2 weeks later...she said it is close enough and dismissed him................her first prognosis for him upon his first eval was AT LEAST 2 years and she practically laughed at the idea of him being done before the start of K...which was one year. But he ended months before one year! He just needed that little extra nudge. When he started K the teacher didn't even know he had a past speech issue! The pathologist was eager to get ahold of my next son, as he didn't really talk much. I chose not to put him in speech...as I knew it wouldn't go the same as it did with my older son. Their personalities are night and day different...and I knew she would end up having a little boy silently staring her in the eyes. The older son is very social (still is) and the younger is shy (still is). He just didn't WANT to talk....but one he did, his speech was perfect and he has never had a speech issue...despite delayed talking. Both of my boys are very smart and use large words for their age. I now have a 3rd boy and he is a little over 2 and most of what he was doing until recently was just babbling outside of a handful of butchered words. I can tell his personality is a lot like my middle son. I will say in the past week or so, he has just blossomed into a parrot. Now yes, some of his speech has still been hard to decipher...but in context, it can be figured out and he is starting to like to mimic our words (obviously not perfectly). I have learned not to fret when it comes to speech. Unless there is a major issue, they will learn with simple guidance at their own time and pace....us fretting about it is not going to help any. If you do find there are issues, they can be addressed at the proper time. But from what you describe to me, he sounds like a very smart little boy with average behavior for his age. =)
#7 of 7 Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're concerned, and feel in your gut something's "off" , get an assessment from the school district (they're free). It's better to know for sure, in my opinion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page