My teething toddler chewed away another sippy cup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My teething toddler chewed away another sippy cup

Mamas,
I don't know what to do...my 2 year old teething toddler is going thru the worst part, the final 6 molars and he's having a very difficult time and I'm helping him with teething tablets, chamomile oil, frozen teething rings, and homemade popsicles and we bought him a sippy cup months ago and he chewed away at the spout part that he drinks thru so he replaced it with a new 1 we bought and he chewed thru that 1 now too...omg, I'm losing my mind with this...I know this too shall pass, but how many more sippy cups do I need to buy after he chews thru them from the teething? I mean, I suppose I could watch him and when I see that he's done drinking from it, take it away from him and give him a teething toy instead, but he gets upset and he likes to teeth on the spout because it's comforting and soothing from the teething, so I really don't want to take it away from him. Is this normal what he's doing? I sense and figure that it is, but I want to ask anyway. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and I really need some "think outside the box" organic holistic minded mature Mamas to talk to for friendship and support. I'm having a very stressful day and week and now I'm crying! :'(

Thank you for being fragrance-free! Wear organic or wear nothing!
http://bodyearthself.blogspot.com/

Last edited by earthwriter; 07-30-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention something.
#2 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'd worry about him not only ingesting the plastic but also doing damage to his jaw that is still forming at this point. We moved away from sippy's early on and just use small thick bar glasses or shot glasses that won't break easy...or stainless steel open cups. DD was a chewer and destroyed a cup or two before I just tossed em all out!

She has an amber necklace and along with the hylands tablets it seemed to "take the edge off" enough that she could manage it. She cut all 4 pre-molars and 2 incisors at once and it was rough but we made it through! Her 2yr molars came one at a time and seemed to bother her a bit less. She's still nursing and the nights she cut teeth were marathon nursing nights, but once they broke the skin it was much better.

There is an end in sight!!
#3 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Have you tried silicone, rubber or wooden teething toys? Those have interesting textures and are less toxic than plastic. I think I've seen bamboo cups too. The Baby Book by Dr. Sears recommends letting them chew on chicken bones. I always thought that was a bit weird, but it might work.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sassychick,
Thank you for your kind helpful reply, I appreciate it. Yes, I've been concerned about that too and what you said makes sense. My question though is how did your little 1 keep the amber necklace on her neck without breaking it? She didn't tug at it or pull it? My dear husband and I put an amber necklace, a beautiful wonderful 1 on our dear son's neck and it has helped, but he managed to pull it and break it and we tried to put it on his ankle and he found it, played with it and yanked it off, ugh...so very frustrating...he's in the grabby and squeeze stage and he's got a real tough strong grip, wow!!! He needs to wear it and we need to put it on him, but we can't figure out how to keep it on him so it stays without his breaking it. Yes, I know, this too shall pass...and somehow by the grace of the Great Spirit and the Angels, we will all get thru it, but wow...last night I sobbed and covered my head with my pillow and then enjoyed some laughs watching Frasier for comfort...wow such a challenging stressful stage, ouchie!!! I'd love to nurse him, but it's a long story as to why I haven't been able to and when I finish writing about the painful horrible trauma we both suffered, I will share it and many Mamas will understand and I will receive the much needed loving kind caring sympathetic support I need. Thank you for listening. I appreciate it.

Thank you for being fragrance-free! Wear organic or wear nothing!
http://bodyearthself.blogspot.com/
#5 of 8 Old 07-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
First off I think you need this but I can't for the life of me figure out the smileys on my phone do I will do this: <<hug>>.

OK. So the necklace she did grab at, a lot, we did a lot of redirecting and I guess were lucky she mostly left it alone. You could try essential oils - clove oil diluted in coconut oil is an analgesic. I've used lavender on dd's feet for calming. Rescue remedy is another favorite for calming (I also have it handy for allergic hives!). Chamomile tea ...anything to help level them out and pay less attention to the teeth.
#6 of 8 Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
There are those sippy cups that are supposed to mimic open cups and don't have straws or spouts, although I've never used them. We used mostly open cups pretty early on, although there are more spills.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hugs, mama, I'm kinda in the midst of the same thing...the terrible stretch of teething. I'm going to spin this in a completely different direction, to me it sounds like on top of teething, you've got a really "oral" kiddo...one who just really likes to chew. So he might enjoy something like chewy tubes (do a google search). It's something speech pathologists recommend--that's how I discovered them. They're very satisfying to chew on but basically indestructible, and probably safer for you than plastic (I think they're made of rubber, or silicone, or something less dangerous).
#8 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We moved to open cups early on, at one year old, and I have been impressed at how quickly she picked up the routine. We only fill it with water and only a few gulps at a time. Just saying, in case you want to try it .

But about the sippy, I wouldn't allow him to chew on it. You need to set some limits, even when it upsets a fragile baby. Maybe you can find an appropriate toy that looks or feels similar to the sippy?

I would definitely not allow him to run off with it though and just use it as a toy. I am not the oat organized person, but we are trying to teach her that everything has a time and place and way of being used. We drink and eat only at the table. We throw balls, but we don't throw toy trucks, etc.

She doesn't have to get it yet for your discipline to still be building a worthy foundation . My DD is still confused about what toys we throw and what toys are hurt by throwing, but I care about teaching her those limits, so we press on.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page