Ouch, Aching back! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ouch, Aching back!

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing terrible upper back and neck pain. I think it's from nursing, carrying the car seat and baby, as well as chasing after my 3 year old. The pain is worse between my shoulder blades, both sides, and is pretty much constant at this point. My lower back has even started getting irritated. I think I've been over compensating with my lower back since my upper is so worn out. I've been to a chiro a couple times but it really hasn't provided much relief yet. I've gone back to the gym to work on my core. Any other mama's experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyjr View Post
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing terrible upper back and neck pain. I think it's from nursing, carrying the car seat and baby, as well as chasing after my 3 year old. The pain is worse between my shoulder blades, both sides, and is pretty much constant at this point. My lower back has even started getting irritated. I think I've been over compensating with my lower back since my upper is so worn out. I've been to a chiro a couple times but it really hasn't provided much relief yet. I've gone back to the gym to work on my core. Any other mama's experiencing this?
Chiropractic adjustments don't always work right away it might take a few days, weeks or even months to feel the relief but it also depends on what activities you're doing to aggrivate the condition. I used a bopy on top of a flat pillow when dd was small to really prop her up nursing and that helped with that pain. How old is the baby? We switched to a convertible car seat around 2 or 3 months because I couldn't stand carrying a bucket around and it was killing my back. That's when I really started babywearing and it made life so much easier. Initially I used a ring sling but being one-sided once dd got heavier I couldn't wear her for long periI'veand it would throw my adjustments off (acupuncture can help you hold and adjustment longer). She's almost 3 now and we just got a better SSC (a tula toddler) and its been great for my back, transfers a lot of the weight to the lower back which is a little bit more stable. I started getting a little bit more shoulder pain as she has chosen to nurse laying down, but between the chiropractor and carrying her in the ssc regularly and doing a little bit of yoga I've greatly reduced the pain and I'm back to once a month chiropractic just for maintenance. Anything you do that isn't balanced will cause back pain, ie carrying a car seat on one side.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back pain is a common issue for new mothers. The reasons for this might be breastfeeding, carrying the baby all around, lack of rest and all. If massaging doesn't work go to a doctor. You must not endure all the pain, especially since you have a child to take care of too. the doctor will be able to suggest some exercises or medicines that will ease your pain.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually just found an article on Pinterest to soothe "nursing back"! Let me see if I can find it...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Absolutely! Fixing chronic issues requires real change in your daily habits. What I did to help, and it has helped ALOT is the following: stopped baby wearing as a regular thing once my baby started walking; when I do baby wear, I change the hold I use EVERY TIME. (Left should hip carry to right shoulder, front carry to back carry, etc). Found better ways to support my body while nursing (but now she has weaned, so it's kind of moot) no matter where I am; I began visiting a chiropractor and learned my poor abdominal muscle tone was keeping my bones and organs in pregnancy position, meaning my ribcage was opened and undue burden was placed on my upper back to compensate. Maybe you too have weak abs? I can PM you the exercises I've been prescribed to help. They'll also help pelvic floor toning if that's been an issue. I also found that shoulder-opening exercises and yoga positions like camel to be incredibly soothing. Most doctors will recommend a muscle relaxer or pain reliever, which I chose not to take. The reason is that MOBILITY is the number one cure. If you just rest your back, it will neve get better. It needs to remain mobile and stay strong, which for heavy heavy pain may mean needing meds. Mine never got to the point of immobility.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

User Tag List