Ideas for how to give DD first waldorf doll - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ideas for how to give DD first waldorf doll

My 3.5 year old daughter is not really into her baby dolls, but she adores her stuffed animals, her mermaid doll, dressing up and playing any and all kinds of make believe. She's not great at playing independently and her sibling is due to be born on her 4th birthday (apparently I'm only fertile in May!) I'm pregnant and tired and sore and I'd love for DD to have her own little "playmate"...enter waldorf doll! She's due to arrive in the mail any day now with blonde, purple and blue hair and blue eyes I want to introduce her to my daughter in the most special of ways to encourage the "love at first sight". Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Awwww... cute!

I am not so sure, but following to get ideas. I made a star doll for my baby, and she had zero interest in it. Then I added more of a face to it (I know, I know... waldorf people avoid faces for a reason, but I am not dogmatic and it was still a sweet, simple face) and THEN she recognized it as a "creature" and smiled when I snuggled it up against her at bed time. It's still not really catching her attention much though, but she is younger than your DD.

I don't think she gets the idea of a "baby doll." Abstract ones like thew Waldorf star doll just get ignored. Then we have another plastic-face hand me down from when I was a kid that looks pretty realistic. When it's jumping around and goofing, she likes it, but when it is immobile, it scares her. I think she believes it's alive and when it goes limp, that it's hurt. So we put that one away until she is more mature.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing you might try is having the new doll be YOUR dolly for awhile, and you treat it lovingly and carefully, and "let" your daughter play with it only from time to time, while you watch. And then when the new baby will be born soon, you can ask your daughter if she will take over the care of your special dolly. This way she can care for her dolly when you are caring for your babe! (Or she can get mad at the dolly instead of at her new sib…whatever emotions she needs to get out! Hiving a sibling can be complex.) Anyhow, if you make the doll special with YOUR care, she will KNOW that it's special.
#4 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh I love that I idea!! Thank you )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page