Mothering Forum banner

Transition to bed from crib

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DuchessTergie 
#1 ·
Help! DD1's transition from crib to bed was a 3 month long nightmare and I HOPE to avoid as much drama as possible now that DD2 is trying to jump/climb out of her crib. Mentally, I am not ready for her to be uncontained, but I can't risk her hurting herself by climbing out and landing on the hardwood floors. How have you transitioned your toddler to a bed?

For your consideration, here are some dynamics in our house:

1. DD1 & DD2 share a room and they go to bed and wake up at the same time. We do have a guest room, and our house is 1 story.

2. I am expecting our 3rd, the same week DD2 turns 2.

3. DD2 is ready to potty train, calling out, "Pee! Pee!" in the night.

Tips, advice, suggestions are all welcome and needed! Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I don't think there was anything special or magic to our transition, we just made the decision that for her 2nd birthday, DD was getting her big girl bed - aka converted the crib to toddler bed. She was also working on potty training and on the day she turned 2 she asked for undies. So we went for broke with toddler bed and undies all at once! I kept a potty by her bed in case she woke up in the middle of the night and put a pee pad under her for any accidents. First few nights she was excited and fell asleep in there by herself, then I went to laying with her til she fell asleep and that's where we're at now. She will be 3 in Nov, we don't have a problem with that routine since it's pretty quick that she falls asleep, especially if we keep her from napping (trying to phase them out). If she naps....then it's a late night and she ends up in bed with us!

We're also a one floor house, we do have a gate at the basement stairs since there's no door, but that's never been a concern with her. Our bedroom is across the hall and anytime she gets up she always walks across to us.

#5 ·
We bought a toddler bed, a plastic one from Target, it has sides and really fun characters. DD is able to get in and out easily without risk of rolling out of bed while sleeping. She was 2 years old when we got it (she's 3 now) and we acted all excited that she'd get to sleep in a big girl bed. We went cold turkey. Took her crib apart and put it away.

#6 ·
Thanks, ladies! Pretty nervous about coming in to the room each morning and finding everything dumped out of the dresser, and having all those midnight visits once she's free to explore the house. With DD1 it was literally 100x a night. Seems like that is not the usual? Thanks again! I think we'll just do it cold turkey.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.