comfortable, but "presentable" pants for a toddler boy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
comfortable, but "presentable" pants for a toddler boy

Hey, all. I wonder if someone with a kid with sensory issues might be able to help me out.

I finally realized that some of our getting dressed battles might stem from scratchy or stiff clothing, and that all the requests for certain pajama pants when getting dressed for the day might indicate that my boy wants to wear soft, smooth, stretchy, basically comfortable pants.

We have been using almost exclusively hand-me-downs to dress him and I just don't want him to always be in pajama clothes. It's easier with shirts - they are more comfortable and he likes a few of them a lot.

He is 3t, even 4t in the stretchy pants - wondering if anyone has some ideas of what kind of pants to get for a kid like this who is of this size. It seems like every kind of pants I can find for boys his age are uncomfortable for him, and everything comfortable is for babies! He also hates sweatpants because of pilling fabric inside and the elastic on the ankles.

So now that I am literally at the point of removing all scratchy and stiff clothing from his closet, what can I replace it with? Any ideas?
#2 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
We're big on comfort around here. Knit shorts and pants work - I've seen lots in this size in the second-hand shops. Also, fleece for the winter is nice and soft.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any brands you might recommend? I have been looking second-hand and haven't found much of anything, but maybe that's just because of where I live.
#4 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
A quick snip can rid you of elastic at the ankles. There are machines that shave off pilling too.

How about plain knit pants though or sporty pants. I can always find these at the big used kids clothing stores.
#5 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKsMomma View Post
Hey, all. I wonder if someone with a kid with sensory issues might be able to help me out.

I finally realized that some of our getting dressed battles might stem from scratchy or stiff clothing, and that all the requests for certain pajama pants when getting dressed for the day might indicate that my boy wants to wear soft, smooth, stretchy, basically comfortable pants.

We have been using almost exclusively hand-me-downs to dress him and I just don't want him to always be in pajama clothes. It's easier with shirts - they are more comfortable and he likes a few of them a lot.

He is 3t, even 4t in the stretchy pants - wondering if anyone has some ideas of what kind of pants to get for a kid like this who is of this size. It seems like every kind of pants I can find for boys his age are uncomfortable for him, and everything comfortable is for babies! He also hates sweatpants because of pilling fabric inside and the elastic on the ankles.

So now that I am literally at the point of removing all scratchy and stiff clothing from his closet, what can I replace it with? Any ideas?
No true sensory issues but I don't buy anything evenly remotely uncomfortable. I buy Zutano, American Apparel, some Gap styles, Mini Boden, and Tea Collection.
#6 of 8 Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clothes

I have a sensory kid. What works pretty good for him is knit cotton pants. Theyre a slight step up from sweatpants in terms of fashionability. Not stiff like denim, No buttons no zippers. And you can get them real cheap just about anywhere. I've been getting them for about four dollars at Walmart for years. They have them 12 mos through about 5t. I don't know what we're gonna do once we get out of 5T.
They work pretty well.
#7 of 8 Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't see anything wrong with keeping him in PJ pants for the time being! It might be a little less OK when he starts school or something, but as a toddler, I hope no one is judging his attire for proper formality! My DD wear her PJ pants as well as jeans and shorts, and my only worry is that when she is playing on rocks or dirt, I'd rather she have more durable pants on to protect her knees. Have you looked at target's toddler hiking pant-looking pants? They are like REI brand hiking pants material and have an elastic waist with drawstring. The only snaps or button are on the sides of the knees so you can roll them up into shorts and button them up. But you could cut off that button and strap and just not use them as convertibles. We have 3 pairs of those. They are my favorite!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#8 of 8 Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Target has thick knit pants with a covered elastic waistband in toddler sizes. Some are sweatsuit fleece and some are less fuzzy on the inside. They do NOT have elasticized ankles, so they look much classier than sweatpants. My son loved them.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page