Mothering Forum banner

Ok to put child on YouTube?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Mulvah 
#1 ·
Ok, so of course we all think our kid is the absolute cutest little thing out there. That everything they do is adorable and is photo/video worthy. So I totally think that about my 1-month-shy of 3 years old toddler. She loves watching toy reviews on YouTube and wanted her own (really, she did). So we made one and I posted it. DH doesn't really agree, thinks it's exploiting. I think it's adorable, she loves it and grandparents love it (). Do you think it's ok to have child on YouTube?

#4 ·
Didn't some kid recently "go viral" doing toy reviews? Did your daughter see that? How did a two year old even think of that?

And this feels like an attempt for page views disguised as a question but since you asked, you can get videos to the grandparents without the whole world seeing them.

#6 ·
I think it's okay to have your child on youtube, but I would use caution. Even though your child is small now, one day she might apply to college or for job. Colleges and recruiters are now examining your child's social networking profile, so it's good to have one, but just makes sure it represents the best your child has to offer. Your video is cute and won't harm her reputation. When she's older, it's a good idea to review what's appropriate to post with your child. If your child has a friend in her video, you should get her parents approval before posting, even if it's shared with family and friends only. For me, this goes for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and so many other apps your child will eventually want to upload to.

#7 ·
When she's older, it's a good idea to review what's appropriate to post with your child. If your child has a friend in her video, you should get her parents approval before posting, even if it's shared with family and friends only. For me, this goes for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and so many other apps your child will eventually want to upload to.
I totally agree with this.

Also, what you want to post might not be what the kid is OK with either now or later. My DDs reprimanded me for posting about them on Facebook (and it was stuff I thought was totally cute and harmless, not even a pic or video, just a comment) - they were just not OK with it, and I need to respect that. I am also thinking of some friends who post some pretty personal stuff about their kids on their blogs and wondering how the kids feel about that being out there essentially forever. The same might go for a YouTube video.

There was actually an issue several years back with parents on Mothering finding out that the cute diaper photos of their kids ended up on a diaper fetish website. Does anyone remember that? Scary and creepy.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.