Daycare- 3 days in a row - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Daycare- 3 days in a row

DD is 3. She has been going to a great in-home daycare 2 days per week (mon and fri), but her daycare provider told us today she is going to be retiring by Dec. Since preschool sessions all start right now, this is sort of a tough time to find openings. We had been planning on increasing her to 3 full days per week this fall at her old place. She likes being there, gets bored with just us, and seemed ready for more. And honestly we need time away from her too. So, one place here has an opening for weds-Thursday-Friday. I wish it wasn't in a row like that. She transitioned really well to the last provider, so I ink she'll be okay. I guess I would either like to hear reassurance it will be okay, or if it seems like an awful idea, well, I don't want to ruin her life. I know it's not ideal but ideal doesn't seem to be an option right now- we can't be too choosy about days. My husband and I are pretty flexible with our work schedules, he's very part time and I'm not quite full time, so we could make it work with her not doing that schedule. But I think we all benefit with having our own lives a bit (DD didn't start daycare until 2, at that point we could sort of sense a developmental shift that she wanted/needed more than just us on a regular basis).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If you are concerned could you start with just 2 days (you would probably have to take the financial loss of the third day) for a few weeks and then move into three when she is more comfortable there?
#3 of 4 Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
We are doing 3 days in a row for our DC. Last year she did 2 days in a row (Th/F) and I thought it worked well. I had trouble getting my mind around it but in the end I think it may have worked better in this age group than a spread out schedule. My observations were that their play deepened on the second day in a way that may not have been possible otherwise.

One other thing to ask is whether all kids will be together for the same number of days. I looked into switching sections for my DC (so she could be with a friend) but I found out that the class that allowed for more flexible spacing/days was a 5 day class where some kids were there for the entire time and others not. I didn't think that would be a good fit for my DC this year.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 4 Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
She'll be in a class of kids her age, and the openings are based on what's left after all the parents who signed up before got the days they needed, likely based on their work schedule. Good point about starting with 2- no need to jump in too quickly. That makes me feel better- we can just see how DD does.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page