Tangled hair? Honey & Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2014, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Tangled hair? Honey & Oil

I just found this out and want to share it with any other parents who've got tangly-haired kids!

Both my partner and I have curly hair. My partner's is finer, dryer, and far more prone to tangling. Kiddo, of course, got my partner's hair. It's really hard to keep the tangles under control because he'll only sit still for so much combing, and we've had a very stressful month that left his hair in quite the rat's nest. I was starting to worry that we'd have to cut it off.

I looked it up, and honey & olive oil is actually a really good conditioner/detangler. And holy crap, does it work! I mixed 2 parts honey with one part olive oil, applied it to kiddo's hair as the water ran, worked it through with my fingers a little, then while he was in the bath I just combed it through and it was as if there weren't any tangles at all! They just came right out. Only one section gave me any trouble, it was a really bad clump of knots, and working it with my fingers got it without having to pull his hair badly. No tears, it wasn't as messy as I expected, and no more tangles!

The only downside is that it's really hard to rinse it out thoroughly, his hair's still a little oily. Shampoo would probably take care of it, we just don't use it so didn't think of it.

#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you
#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome tip! Thanks a million for sharing
#4 of 4 Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You could just use any other soap you have on hand, since all it does is bind oil to water to help it rinse off. It doesn't have to be a harsh detergent to work on something gentle like olive oil.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page