Tangled hair? Honey & Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Tangled hair? Honey & Oil

I just found this out and want to share it with any other parents who've got tangly-haired kids!

Both my partner and I have curly hair. My partner's is finer, dryer, and far more prone to tangling. Kiddo, of course, got my partner's hair. It's really hard to keep the tangles under control because he'll only sit still for so much combing, and we've had a very stressful month that left his hair in quite the rat's nest. I was starting to worry that we'd have to cut it off.

I looked it up, and honey & olive oil is actually a really good conditioner/detangler. And holy crap, does it work! I mixed 2 parts honey with one part olive oil, applied it to kiddo's hair as the water ran, worked it through with my fingers a little, then while he was in the bath I just combed it through and it was as if there weren't any tangles at all! They just came right out. Only one section gave me any trouble, it was a really bad clump of knots, and working it with my fingers got it without having to pull his hair badly. No tears, it wasn't as messy as I expected, and no more tangles!

The only downside is that it's really hard to rinse it out thoroughly, his hair's still a little oily. Shampoo would probably take care of it, we just don't use it so didn't think of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome tip! Thanks a million for sharing
#4 of 5 Old 09-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You could just use any other soap you have on hand, since all it does is bind oil to water to help it rinse off. It doesn't have to be a harsh detergent to work on something gentle like olive oil.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 5 Old Today, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
We've done some trial & error with this, so I wanted to update it with more advice:

-I've started heating the mixture. (I put a small bowl into a larger bowl and fill it with boiled water- also how I melt coconut oil when I need to, it helps it mix better and go on/through better)
-I've started adding kefir (yogurt'll work, too). This adds protein and there's anecdotal evidence that the probiotics are useful on the scalp/hair as well.
-Adding conditioner seems to help it penetrate the hair better. DP and kiddo both have fairly wooly hair and it's hard to get the mixture all the way through.
-Coconut oil!
I was actually really hesitant about this and, when mixing it, thinking "man, I'm going to regret this". Coconut oil is solid at room temperature and both DP and I had visions of hair with clumps of oil that hadn't washed out. I underestimated it! You basically have to warm the oil if you want to use this, so that you can mix it, but I imagine you could do coconut-oil only.

It went in well, it washed out well, it didn't have practically any problem with oilly residue. With olive and the canola/coconut oil blend I tried, it left the hair looking horribly oily for days. That problem was not there with coconut oil!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page