What do you give your toddler for protein? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2004, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds eats fruit, veggies & grains but not much protein. He eats beans and nuts sometimes. I was giving him tofu but after reading that article in Mothering about the negatives of soy, I'm a little leary. I'm almost considering giving him meat. Dh & I only eat meat occasionally and when we do it is free range chicken or salmon. Any other suggestions? Maybe the beans & nuts are enough for protein? Thanks!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 05:30 PM

I'm always thinkg about this too. My son loves eggs. I just scramble them in the pan. You can try french toast as well. He eats a lot of nut butter, hummus, seeds (pumpkin and sunflower). He isn't crazy about dairy but does like cheese (quesadillas are very popular). He is also a fan of fried tempeh. It is soy but some believe it is one of the best ways to eat it.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:31 PM

DD pretty much eat beans, a little soy and not much meat. So far for meat, she'll only eat chicken. I don't eat much meat (and no red meat) so it's not in the house much. I read the broccoli is a really good source of digestable protien...dd loves brocoli.

I think beans and nuts are probably ok.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:10 PM

We give our ds beans, tofu, tempeh, eggs, nut butters, cheeses & yogurt. I read the soy article too, but I'm not leary of it, as long as you aren't baseing your whole diet around soy and you don't notice an allergy, I believe there's nothing to worry about, we were vegan for 7 years, and now vegetarian, and our ds is vegetarian also, but eats such a varied diet that tofu or tempeh once a week I believe is good for him. I would never consider adding meat to his diet for health reasons, there's too much scientific research (which the Mothering article was lacking in) to know that a meat based diet (other than fish) is not healthy.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 PM

Ds is a vegetarian, by choice. He doesn't like meat of any kind and since I only eat meat once a month or so (for the same reason as he), I don't push it.

I think he gets plenty of protein. As long as you dairy, you shouldn't have a problem. Ds loves all kinds of cheeses, milk and yogurt. Cottage cheese is especially high in protein. Eggs, beans, boca burgers (he likes those with ketschup) are good sources too.

If you don't do dairy, I'm not sure. I'm sure some of the vegan mamas could give some good advice.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
Old 05-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Lots of beans, yogurt, cheese, chicken, turkey, eggs, tofu, and sometimes steak (when dh cooks, cuz I don't eat red meat).
Old 05-12-2004, 08:02 PM

Cheese, free-range Turkey, yogurt, salmon, peanut butter (the only nut butter he can eat.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 05-12-2004, 08:14 PM

2.5 yo Dd has 8oz of yogurt with 1T of wheat germ pretty much every morning and usually 1-1.5 oz of cheese as a snack later in the day. No milk, cow, soy or other. Most common other sources include bean and cheese burritos or bean and rice burritos, eggs or french toast, salmon (often I'll buy 3oz just for her, and when we have some for dinner I'll cook extra for her lunch next day), PB or almond butter or cashew butter and jam on whole wheat bread (1 slice for snack, 2 for meal), nut butter on toast, grilled cheese if no other dairy that day (she likes them with lots of cheese), hummus with w/w pita, bean dip with w/w cracker or pita, and whole nuts (softer ones like pistachios... we just started this).
Old 05-13-2004, 01:57 AM

DD loves cheese (too much), chicken, yogurt, eggs, and fish--we even give her smoked salmon or trout which I buy as a treat for DH, and she is thrilled with it (watch for bones, though). She puts her nose up at beef, which we eat maybe once every 2 weeks at most anyhow. She also absolutely loves black beans and chili (with beef), and peas either cooked or frozen right from the bag. I let her have limited amounts of cow's milk, usually 1-2 times a day (no longer nursing). Oh yes, she also loves peanut butter...
Old 05-13-2004, 03:34 AM

nut butters, milk, nuts, seeds, cheese, yogurt, and occasionally meat.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nuts, nut butters, hummus, beans, rice cheese

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-13-2004, 12:50 PM

We eat a lot of lentils and beans in our house. Bean soup, curried lentils, bean salad, and hummus are favorites. We do eat tofu at least once a week, usually in a stir fry or a curry mix. I think the concerns with soy are with large amounts, like eating several soy products a day. I don't think giving tofu for dinner a few nights a week is going to hurt at all.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 05-13-2004, 01:03 PM

i'm a little worried about the soy thing myself, but in moderation i think it's ok.
really, protein isn't so hard to get on a daily basis, as long as you are combining some whole grains and nuts or beans or dairy. i worry more about dd getting iron and other veggies than protein.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:16 PM

I definitely would not worry about protein intake (unless you're putting him on the Atkins Diet :LOL)

The majority of foods we eat have at least a little bit of protein. For some reason, western civilization is obsessed with this idea not having enough protein..... it's a myth. We don't need to eat that many standard protein foods - ie, soy, nuts, meat, etc. - heck, even ppl who practically lived off of potatoes during times of faminine had a host of vitamin and mineral deficiencies, but no protein deficiency!

The majority of Americans pee out most of their protein intake, anyway, b/c we don't need soooo much of it. Put your mind at ease; as long as he eats a somewhat balanced diet, protein shouldn't be an issue
Old 05-13-2004, 01:39 PM

Lots of beans, yogurt, cheese, broccoli and nuts. We eat very little meat around here, although when we do, dd loves it. She definitely didn't inherit that trait from her parents, lol!
Old 05-16-2004, 05:54 AM

2 tbs of peanut butter has 1/2 of a toddler's daily protein requirements. DS absolutely loves pb on whole wheat crackers...it's his main food that he will eat :LOL I don't know the protein content of the other nut butter (sorry), but pb, cheese and chicken is where DS gets his.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:24 PM

Given the fact that my 20mth old Ds is still nursing and doesn't eat a whole lot of anything I just offer a variety of healthy foods and let him choose what he wants (goes crazy for carrots). We are a family of seafood lovers and one of Ds's favourites is mussells (6yr old DD's too). We only buy cultured mussells and I don't let him have shellfish like shrimp/lobster/crab yet. Funny though because I went off mussells in my 1st pregnancy and have never eaten them since. He also loves chicken, yogurt and cheese, but no red meat and rarely cow's milk.

A bit OT, but when can you offer peanut/other nut butter? I understood that it was 2yrs, but recently a friend told me it's been revised to 5yrs? We have some pet allergies and hayfever in the family but no nuts/eggs etc. Anyone know the current guidelines?
Old 05-16-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
A bit OT, but when can you offer peanut/other nut butter? I understood that it was 2yrs, but recently a friend told me it's been revised to 5yrs? We have some pet allergies and hayfever in the family but no nuts/eggs etc. Anyone know the current guidelines?
It seems that every year the minimum age recommended age is raised. We started PB at about 18 months and other nut butters at 12. This is before I saw that the recommendation had been moved to five years from three. However, we have no histories of nut allergies in our families and we tend not to eat processed foods that may contain nuts and nut oils. I don't know many kids DD's age that don't eat PB unless there are allergies in the family.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:56 PM

We are vegetarians. My son eats peanut butter (spread very thin on bread), yogurt, cheese, soy protein meatballs (as well as soy 'chicken' nuggets). Quorn is made out of mushrooms so ds loves the patties. It tastes like chicken...amazing! lol.

As for peanut butter, our pediatrician actually told me it was ok to give it to my ds starting at 15 months! (as long as there's no nut allergy history in either me or ds's dad).

Now, if only i could get a green veggie into my boy!!

Hugs,
Liz
Old 05-17-2004, 01:44 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The AAP recommends holding off on peanut butter until at least 3.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 05-17-2004, 02:24 AM

I agree that protein is not necessarily the most important nutrient we should worry about with young children. Or adults, for that matter. We give our vegetarian toddler peas (a legume), tofu, p. butter, eggs, cheese, soy milk, tempeh, hummus, lentils, whole grains and as many veggies as possible for protein. Many of these foods also contain other important toddler nutrients - the lentils are good for iron and the hummus has a bit of calcium in the tahini, for example. I also add a little soy flour to our pancakes and waffles. Also remember that certain foods combine in your body to make better-used protein.

The other posters are right that a varied diet will probably meet his protein needs.

And we started peanut butter at around 2 years, with no ill effects yet.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :

User Tag List