Sleep deprivation and daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sleep deprivation and daycare

Is my daughter's sleep deprivation as a result of daycare practicalities really going to cause harm?

I read No Cry Sleep Solution, which really emphasized lots of sleep and keeping two naps into at least 18 months or so, maybe longer. It made sense when I was a SAHM, but even then the strict schedule keeping and obsession with lengthening naps seriously made me neurotic for a few months until my DD started napping better on her own. She fell into a typical 9am and 1pm or so schedule with each nap ranging from 45 mins if it was on the go to 1-2 hours if it was at home. Mostly, we tried to have naps at home so she'd be well rested. She's always been a good night sleeper, and started sleeping 11-12 hours straight at 11 months old.

Then we started daycare, and she had a really hard time sleeping through all the commotion going on in the mornings, and quickly "adjusted" to one of two schedules; one fitful nap at 9, and another at 1pm, from which she was often woken up early by other babies, and therefore was a crank, OR the loosely encouraged daycare schedule, for older babies which is one big nap 12:15-3:00.

I do think at daycare specifically, she does better being kept up in the mornings and then getting a good nap in when everyone else is napping and best efforts are made by the whole staff to have total peace. She then goes to bed an hour earlier than on the weekends, when she still takes two shorter naps.

It's obvious to me she isn't getting enough sleep overall. Is there any reason to be truly worried about this situation? I've heard from the staff this (to one nap) is a tough transition for all the babies, and that soon enough she won't be showing that sleep deprivation anymore, and it will cease to be an issue. I also know lots of people whose kids sleep worse that my DD and they don't seem worried about long term consequences.

I can't see how it'd be any different at another daycare, and this one is close to home, LOVELY in every way, filled with love, and the right price (more or less...).

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Last edited by cynthiamoon; 10-03-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How old is she? My DS will be 18 months old tomorrow, and he's down to one nap, sometimes he only sleeps for fifteen minutes! Other times he'll sleep for an hour or, occasionally two. I wouldn't worry about it. She'll nap when she needs to, and she'll adapt to the daycare's schedule. It sounds like your situation is a good one, so I really would just go with the flow.

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#3 of 7 Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

She is 13 months old, but this has been going on since she was just 1 year old. I am trying but I worry sometimes anyway, like today, when she is all red-eyed and cranky at 5pm(!) and in bed by 6:45.

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Is that her only sign of sleep deprivation? My older DD was asleep by 6:30 most nights at that age. She's just a naturally early to bed, early to rise girl.

If she has other signs of sleep deprivation and this is going to be a long-term situation then yes, to be honest, I would be concerned. I don't think chronic lack of sleep is healthy at any age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At 13 months, I wonder if you little one might do a short (45 min) nap at 5pm? Or would that ruin bedtime? Otherwise, I'd second the suggestion for a 6:30 bedtime. Many kids wake at the same time in the morning relatively independently of when they go to sleep, so earlier bedtimes don't lead to early risings.
#6 of 7 Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I think she is doing ok on the one nap, but maybe just can't resist a morning nap when she's getting a long car ride or stroller walk during that time. If we stay active, she doesn't seem to miss it.

Also, I am just confidently moving to an earlier bedtime expectation. Especially after your feedback and once I noticed seasons really affect her sleep.

In the summer, it was 8pm bedtime and 5 am wake ups (basically sunset and sunrise), but I thought it was a permanent late bedtime shift, which is why it shocked me when she started sleeping earlier and earlier. Now it's moved to 6:30 bedtime and 6:30 wake up, also basically sunset to sunrise.

I just wasn't expecting her to go back to an early bedtime after so many months of 8, sometimes 9pm bedtimes!

#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
If it were me i'd just have my child fit in with the daycares nap schedule as that would probably be less stressful for the child and the caregivers.

In terms of the long term effects of sleep deprivation, i really can't imagine this is anything to worry about. Think about how many people AP and refuse to let their children cry at all, and how some such children can go years before getting a good nights sleep. Yet i don't think anyone would say they are at risk of anything really (maybe i'm wrong)?

Finding good care can be next to impossible.

Good luck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page