November/December '02 --the latest incarnation - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 404 Old 06-30-2004, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks on the tip about the sign! I'll definitely make one! (I thought about even sewing Owen a fun costume for it as well--maybe I will...maybe I won't.:LOL)
#302 of 404 Old 06-30-2004, 05:18 PM

:
Congratulations Rynna!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#303 of 404 Old 06-30-2004, 10:23 PM

Congrats again, Rynna!! I want to ask ya some things, hope you don't mind...
How is BF two going?
What was eli's reaction when he first saw his sister? Did he realize that that was the baby that was in your belly before?

Any advice you could give me? I ask cause our babies are the same age, and you don't have to answer if you don't feel like it.
#304 of 404 Old 07-01-2004, 11:09 PM

Whew! What a day. Christopher had his first trip to the ER today. He stood up on our couch and tried to grab onto me and missed and ended up falling and spliting his chin on our coffee table. Five stitches later, he is ok but in some pain. What a way to celebrate my husband's birthday.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#305 of 404 Old 07-02-2004, 01:09 AM

Oh no! Poor Mama!

We are moving our coffee table into the dining area ASAP, because the kids basically just use it as a huge snack tray and it's dangerous... Zachary loves climbing on it when we're not looking, and he's hit his forehead and his cheek on it just from falling. We're going to convert ours into a litte table for the kids- they can eat at it, do art stuff, or whatever... Ah, the joys of kids!

s, Heather!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#306 of 404 Old 07-02-2004, 03:32 AM

wow! these are the kind of incidents that make us grow us as mammas. take it easy on yourself and your christopher. so sorry for the ouch and scary!

mamajaza, my kids could not really understand the connection. we can intellectuallize about it. but then, i still find it amazing and weird. maybe if i had see myself giving birth, probably my husband understands it the best. the good news is at this spacing the kids have less of a concept that they have singular noble worth, in theory. the hard part for me was dealing with the interrelation and dynamic since the older one does not have impulse control. the sling i found so beneficial all around when i had more than one, once i could move around. like being pg on the outside. also, i tandem by eventually nursing each kid on their own designated breast. i'm lopsided all the time but i find it simpler, especially since i will wear a sling only on one shoulder. when i had clay i eventually nursed him only on one side. he started out a ten pounder so i never foresee a supply problem.
#307 of 404 Old 07-02-2004, 12:46 PM

to Chris and Heather! We haven't had a coffee table in almost a year... I miss it. The couch has caused several abuse-looking owies, but I draw the line somewhere. I'm friends with a lady that says she actually did remove all furniture from her living room when her dc was that age. I can't imagine doing that. It would be like if they had magically removed all the other cars from the road when I was learning to drive. Sure, I wouldn't have had three accidents that first year, but would I have learned anything?
#308 of 404 Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 PM

The pediatrician told me that his chin should heal up fine but he will have a scar. He did suggest using Mederma though. I am not worried about the scar. He is a little boy. However I did go to Babies R Us and I purchased a rubber guard for our coffee table. I should of bought it a long time ago!

#309 of 404 Old 07-02-2004, 06:15 PM

The other day I called my oldest by her first and middle name; now Scarlett calls her "Reenee Bon" (Revina Yvonne), lol!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#310 of 404 Old 07-02-2004, 11:49 PM

i'm learning about the loveliness of daughters. or maybe it's just my daughter. earlier i told her she needed to get dressed while i was on the computer and she retrieved a diaper, some shorts and a shirt and climbed up so i could put all the things on and patiently allowed it, and properly putting weight on the chair to put each leg in the holes. my boys are still sort of iffy on that happenning. they have already clued in that she is useful and slave her around, telling her to go get them food and water and shoes and toys and such. it freaks me out.
#311 of 404 Old 07-03-2004, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Rivkah's birth story.

Eliyahu is adjusting beautifully to life as a big brother. He made the connection right away between Rivkah in person and the baby who was in my belly, pointing her out and saying "SisterBaby!" in an awe-struck voice. I guess he was more prepared than I expected, because he was thrilled when we finally took her home.

At first he seemed to be a little upset with me, but I think that was because Mike and I were not with him (he spent the weekend with Grandma). When I asked him if he wanted to nurse, he looked at me, and then reached down his grandmother's shirt as if to say "Yes, but not with you, I'm mad at you right now." I asked again and he said "I want Grandma!" and gave me a scathing look. The next day, though, I was able to walk around a little bit and to sit up like a person, so he gave me some hugs and kisses. He even nursed with his sister before we left the hospital.

I guess he needed a bit of decompression time (don't we all?!) after Rivkah was born. Once the four of us got home, we took a day off and just sat around together, and Eli has been fine ever since. He's a little disappointed that I can't carry him like I did before, but that will change soon enough.

The nursing is going extremely well, I couldn't ask for better. Rivkah developed a horrible case of thrush, but thanks to gentian violet it's all gone now. Eli loves to nurse with his sister, and he really helped out when my milk came in. For now, things are pretty good as far as family dynamics. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for signs of jealousy, but I haven't seen any at all. Eli loves to give his sister kisses and is sometimes a bit over-enthusiastic, but it's all good. For the most part, he is very gentle and loving with her.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#312 of 404 Old 07-03-2004, 12:25 PM

I am glad things are going so well for you Rynna!

A note on the jealousy Mamajaza... my oldest dd was 16 months when Scarlett was born and I didn't notice any jealousy either. I wasn't able to pick her up for a few days which was hard, but she was never agressive to S. She saw S. being born and she said right away "baby". Revina also spent a lot of time with grandma and daddy in the first few days. I bet Haeven will do great!

#313 of 404 Old 07-03-2004, 01:21 PM

Thanks for replying to my question, rynna, casina, and lilmissmama. I really think Haeven will L-O-V-E her new sibling, because as I speak, she is wheeling her "baby" around in the stroller. It will be sooo interesting to see what her reaction will be. She will probably be saying BABY! for days after he is born. She's really learning to talk now.

One another subject... haeven is learning sign language, without literally NO prompting by me. My mom showed her the sign for eating, and then she did it to me later on in the day when she was hungrey. It is amazing how quickly she picks it up! And also, yesterday, she did the sign for "more" and "food".... WOW... I was impressed, as I have never shown her any signs. I wish I had started that sooner, but will definately teach the new babe many signs.
#314 of 404 Old 07-05-2004, 08:08 PM

Congratulations again, Rynna. I'm very glad there was a good outcome with the birth, and that you're healing so quickly. I bet you all are enjoying the new little bean!!!

We're in Washington State now. Enjoying the ~cooler~ weather. The kids are adjusting to being in a new place well. The last couple of days we've just been hanging out at the house, unpacking and getting into the groove, and CLEANING. My younger brother is a bachelor, and works full time in construction, so you can imagine what the house looks like...

Hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#315 of 404 Old 07-05-2004, 08:48 PM

Hey, I had a wonderful day yesterday, but didn't know it was independance day. :LOL I went to see Farenheit 9/11 the night before. It's quite intense, and I reccomend that all you americans go see it. Micheal Moore needs all the support he can get. What an awesome man! I feel like he is a big fat cherub, here to change things.:LOL
#316 of 404 Old 07-06-2004, 12:31 PM

Mamajaza signing is a wonderful thing. We started signing with Christopher when he was 6 months old thinking we wouldn't see a sign from him until he was 9 months old. He surprised us by doing the sign for "milk" at 7 months. We taught him "more", "milk", "eat", and "cookie". We got to the point to where he was signing when he wanted something. In the last two months, he has started saying the word while signing at the same time. It is amazing just watching him put two and two together. I am looking forward as to what he is going to learn next since I found an AP Momma that is doing a mom's morning out/preschool program in her house for him to attend two days a week. She said one of the things she is going to teach the kids is sign language.

#317 of 404 Old 07-06-2004, 01:27 PM

wow Rynna! I love reading birth stories. I'm glad everything went well, despite the rocky start. She's beautiful!
#318 of 404 Old 07-06-2004, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
I went to see Farenheit 9/11 the night before. It's quite intense, and I reccomend that all you americans go see it. Micheal Moore needs all the support he can get. What an awesome man! I feel like he is a big fat cherub, here to change things.:LOL
ITA

I Michael Moore as well, and can't wait to see the new movie. I have yet to "go" to see a movie since dd's birth, and am hoping to do so while MIL is here. So far though, dd hasn't taken to her very well for a variety of reasons....

Casina, you are right, I have no time for me. This is always my prob. even under the best of circumstances (because my dh works full time and attends school full time) but with MIL here it is much worse. We live in her home (we rent from her for a very reasonable price) and so I really feel the need to ensure her comfort while she is here. I thought I was doing well until a few days ago when she told me how disgusting my house is (this is mostly because I do not like to use harsh chemicals in my cleaning, I am very sensitive to the fumes and assume dd is too. She thinks if I don't use Pine Sol and Bleach then it's not clean, kwim?) Now I will admit I am not the best house keeper, I could sweep a bit more and have a hard time keeping up with the laundry, but I would NOT say that my house is disgusting..... I just figure that we are only walking on the floor, not eating from it, so it is on the bottom of my list, kwim? (I do spot clean daily) *SIGH* So anyhow, I have way more on my to do list now.... Only three more weeks only three more weeks

Thanks for letting me vent........

MamaJaza I am thinking of you daily, and sending to you for the magical birth your heart desires...
#319 of 404 Old 07-06-2004, 08:36 PM

Aww, thanks!
#320 of 404 Old 07-06-2004, 10:47 PM

punkprincessmama- sorry you have to put up w/ the in laws. yuch.
only three more weeks!!!
s
#321 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 02:48 PM

hi mamas! I've been kinda absent. But I'm hanging in.

question for ya'll....any thoughts on this?

when we read goodnight moon to erin she always cries at the last page. she's crying and saying "bunny, sob, sleeping, sob." so we figured ok, she's empathetic to bunny sleeping. But then Friday we were at a cookout and she saw a little baby sleeping and was just hysterical. It took about 20 minutes for her to calm down.

she's been sleeping ok, but when she's woken up (early) for the last week or so she's just crying and screaming like she's scared.

I'm looking for ideas on what's going on developmentally and ways to help her deal with it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#322 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 03:07 PM

Punkprincess--- ughh! I couldn't imagine that much time with my former inlaws in my home. That would drive me nuts and we liked each other too! I have spent 4 weeks at their house though and that didn't seem bad, they weren't invading my space, kwim?

kerc- I don't have any advice, but Scarlett has been going thru a similar thing. She wakes up from a dead sleep screaming like she is having a nightmare or something. Sometimes it happens several times a night. She calms down quickly, but I am not sure what's going on.

#323 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 03:20 PM

nak
do a search on "night terrors" - this is what it sounds like it could be.
s
#324 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 05:26 PM

kerc, I have no experience with this, but it certainly sounds like poor Erin is terrified of the state of sleep. I can only imagine because she's had nightmares and associates that terror with sleeping. So she worries for the poor bunny that has to sleep, the poor little baby baby sleeping at the cookout, and herself when early in the morning her sleep cycles are light and she even feels her poor self in the state of sleep. (She sounds like a very empathetic little sweetheart.) All I can suggest doing is hugging her close and trying to communicate to her that everything is all right. I suffered nightmares as a child and the worst thing was having a parent brush off my fears. Let her know that you care for her and you take her fears seriously, but that sleep is actually a time of safety.

I do recall hearing that this age, with developmental, physical, and emotional leaps, is very prone to sleep problems.
#325 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 05:44 PM

Mamas. We got back a few days ago and are still adjusting to time changes. It was a great trip tho not without its challenges. The flight over was pretty good since it was an overnight. We got the bulkhead and ds slept for about half of it tho not all in one chunk. We slept off and on for a couple days upon arrival. Little Mukti adjusted faster than we did--he doesn't yet have the problem of 'concepts' getting in the way of his experiential reality. About halfway thru the trip while we were still in England he got sick for the first time. High fever, lethargic, sleeping and nursing constantly, very uncomfortable, didn't eat for 5 days. It was an initiation for this mama. We had to fly to Germany right in the middle of it and boy was I kneeling to the goddess in gratitude for nursing and slinging. He spent the whole time nurse/sleeping in the maya while we waited in line etc at the airport. I felt like a goddess myself as I walked calmly thru the huge, noisy, busy international airport with my 30lb baby quietly nursing thru it all.

Once in Germany he began to recover but one of the children there developed the chicken pox. He was exposed both while she was incubating them and after she got them so we're waiting the 2 to 3 weeks to see if they manifest.

I missed all of you mamas and thought of you often. Blessings Rynna on the birth of your daughter. Mamajaza your pics are lovely. Hope all is going well for you in these last fruitful weeks.

I've been awake since 3 a.m. Ds is napping, tho his body clock is taking some time to readjust. That's all for now. More later when I'm feeling less tired.
#326 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 06:00 PM

solsticemama, newborning a 30lber!! I am in awe of you. How do you do it? I had dreamed of always being the bigger half to my baby, no matter how large he/she grew, but the laws of physics keep me down. And dd is a comparatively tiny 22lbs. (Due to an over indulgence in backyard fresh berries, we had to make an emergency purchase of disposable diapers for potty-trained dd. I got size 3 but could easily have used size 2!) I just realized today that she is tall enough to walk beside me, holding my hand, and I don't have to bend over at all.
#327 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 08:40 PM

Solstice mama! I was thinking about you today or yesterday (can't remember exactly, pregnancy brain) And I'm still pregnant... you were wondering if you would miss the big events of rynna and my births, but so far, my little dumpling has not appeared. I am 3 days "overdue" today, and I feel great, like I could still be pregnant for weeks. Anyways, I was going to show you pictures of my "hugenormous" belly: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...92&uid=2143685

Kerc, my feeling about the issue your DD has with sleeping is that perhaps she has sleeping confused with death. I remember that particular book you are reading her from when I was a kid, and I didn't really like it. I felt like it was sad. It's like the animal is dying, because they say "goodnight moon..." like your never going to see them again. I definately agree that your DD must be very sensitive.
#328 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 PM

mamajaza- you look wonderful!!!! and your alter is beautiful. i LOVE the great cosmic mother. i just got it out of the attic last week.

solstice mama- WELCOME HOME!!!!!

gotta run.....
#329 of 404 Old 07-07-2004, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the love mamas, I am soaking it up I get along great with my MIL most of the time. It is hard to have two strong, opinionated women in the same house, kwim? I love her, just don't wanna live with her :LOL Her friends from out of town will be with us the rest of this week and begining of next...then dh grandma is coming for a week....

Can you keep a secret? I am longing for fall, I am longing for it to just be our little family again...

Welcome home Solsticemama, we have missed you. I can't imagine dealing with such illness so far from home, how wonderful though, that you had with you all your little one needed. Have BM, will travel, kwim?

MamaJaza, thank you for sharing your lovely pictures. I feel funny sometimes, because I am thinking of you so much, and the wonderful birth that awaits you and your child. I think it is because I really identify with your desire to birth at home, unassisted.

hjohnson, how are you these days? I am thinking that your time is coming soon too, right?

Gotta run....
#330 of 404 Old 07-08-2004, 01:07 AM

kristin, are you cosleeping? quit reading that book!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page