November/December '02 --the latest incarnation - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 404 Old 07-13-2004, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eilonwy, how is it going with your newest one? And you, are you mending and recuperating?
#362 of 404 Old 07-13-2004, 02:35 PM

My mom used to save a couple of disposable cups from fast food places in the back of our car, for emergencies. Just put the lid back on, and then pour it out when you get somewhere and throw it away. My mom was definitely resourceful!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#363 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 12:39 AM

i just saw rynna had a post in pregnancy and birth loss.....it seems that rivkah's kidneys may not be working quite right....there is no official diagnosis yet. needless to say, she needs our support. i'm worried but i know i need to channel that energy to helping her.....
#364 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 12:57 AM

Oh, Rynna, I really hope your baby is well
#365 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up about Rynna, Casina. Seems she's getting lots of loving support which I hope she can draw from right now. Breathing peace for you and your family, Rynna.

*Mamajaza* have you chosen a name for your littlest one yet, or has a name chosen her?

We're scheduled to go camping for a week next week. Since coming back from Europe, which I have barely shared with you mamas due to laundry and cleaning and mothering, I've got the wanderlust. Something about going away just breathes fresh air into the inner world YK.
#366 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 11:34 AM

Yes I know what you mean *solsticemama*. I think that is why I having been moving every year and a half for the past 5 years. However, I now feel ready to grow some roots. Things have been very challanging since getting to Tucson. We actually may end up in a shelter for a few months if nothing else presents itself soon.

((HUGS)) rynna, may your baby be well.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#367 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 11:35 AM

Something cute from Scarlett... Lately she comes up to me and says "I keysh you mommy" and then plants a big smacker on me. Warms my heart

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#368 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 12:34 PM

My new baby girl does have a name now... Samaya Zion.
#369 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 12:50 PM

Oh lovely name, *MamaJ* How did it come to you? My understanding of 'samaya' is that it's a sanskrit word for "spiritual vow" For example, one makes a samaya to awaken for the sake of all sentience or one makes a samaya to do X number of mantra within a period of time etc. Is that your experience of it or do you have a different mythology for it?

Lilmiss's mama, sorry to hear that your transition to Tuscon is starting off a bit rough. How are the girls handling it? And you, mama, are you able to do anything nourishing for yourself during this time?

Little Mukti also likes to plant kisses everywhere. Yesterday morning he was nursing and looked up at me and said. 'keessfobeuf' Transliteration: kiss for beuf. Beuf is his word for nursing/breast/mama milk.
#370 of 404 Old 07-15-2004, 01:08 PM

I'd love to know more about the name samaya. I know that there is a woman who writes spiritual new age books with that name (sort of a "wise woman" I guess you'd call her) I also like that the name is associated with spirituality. I actually saw the word on a tibetan buddism site, and I really like buddism as a religon. But where I got the name was from my own mind, sitting there thinking of something that felt like her, I came up with that.
#371 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 02:28 AM

so much going on these days.

lilmiss, i'm thinking about you.
#372 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 01:51 PM

Mamajaza what a beautiful name for you daughter.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#373 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Yes, *mamajaza* it's within the tibetan buddhist pantheon that I am most familiar with the word 'samaya'. A better definition than spiritual vow would be discipline. The loveliest definition I've come across is 'the discipline of compassion.' At any rate, a wonderful name for your newest one and that it came to you unbidden is quite cool

hpjonson how are you doing these days?

We are struggling with a serious lack of space and wanting to move. I'm feeling quite hemmed in these days tho I imagine it's by more than just the physicality of 4 walls. What do y'all do with your little ones thru the day?
#374 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 08:42 PM

We are struggling with a serious lack of space and wanting to move. I'm feeling quite hemmed in these days tho I imagine it's by more than just the physicality of 4 walls. What do y'all do with your little ones thru the day?[/QUOTE]

Lack of space yes, a concern of ours too. Since we've been here the girls have done really well. They are easier to upset and a bit more clingy at times, but overall doing well. It is hard though to be in a space that is not your own, b/c they can't totally be themselves. So, we get out of the house every morning. We have been visiting preschools/daycares, making seemingly endless trips to gov't offices, running misc. errands. Then we come back for lunch/naptime and then sometimes go out at evening again as it cools off. Every Tuesday we meet a bunch of mamas at the park, which is great. We also try and get to the library once a week and sometimes do storytime there. Friday evenings we go swimming. My mom is getting us a membership to the Children's Museum for Revina's birthday, so that will be a fun outting too. So, we get out a lot to compensate for lack of space and the girls are always ready to go "bye-bye" too.

*mamajaza*-- I too like the name chosen for your daughter.

Thanks casina

#375 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 PM

I try to get out as much as possible. But I really don't succeed. So most every day we discover undiscovered territory in the house. Open the coat closet for a day and let that be our play place, taking all the coats out, shutting ourselves in, over and over again. One day we played with the sewing machine (unplugged and on the floor). It was a dollhouse, a pet, a toy car. Dd is really so easy to entertain it's ridiculous-- she entertains herself. Her favorite new game is building towers out of her books. [I try to pick up several cheap sheets of stickers whenever I can and pull those out when I need to as well.]
#376 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 11:41 PM

We are blessed to live at the beach so we are never short of opportunities for outdoor activities. We also do a lot of sidewalk chalk, fingerpaint, coloring and water play. You must just surrender to the mess.

We are just beginning to have success with wildflower and herb gathering. Up til now dd had been a little too...well...brutal towards the poor plants.

Yesterday we just laid on the grass and pointed at the birds overhead for 30 mins or so. Gotta love summer. Not looking forward to the return of the rain.

Hope all you mamas and babies are well tonight.
#377 of 404 Old 07-16-2004, 11:45 PM

Solsticemama, I am doing pretty good. My ankles are swelling a little bit due to the heat and my Sciatic nerve is pissed off but the chiropractor and massage therapist help with that. My BP is staying low which is good too.

As for getting out, Christopher and I belong to a pretty active mom's group Charlottemommies.com We have park days and other fun activities around the city of Charlotte. My favorite though is Mom's Night Out. The mom's get together while the dad's or other family member's take care of the kids. It is nice to get a break now and then. Our favorite activity is going to the pool. Christopher has a love of water and I love being in the water while pregnant.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#378 of 404 Old 07-17-2004, 09:12 AM

well, we're pretty lucky in that we have a decent amount of land to roam around, and live in a VERY small town, so we can roam the streets at ease.
we have a pretty good routine- in the garden in the morning, then inside to clean what i've harvested. then upstairs in our room for awhile or back outside so i can do some qigong. (if i'm lucky)
then we make lunch, afterwhich it is usually time for her nap. after her nap we go back outside to a neighbor who has a pond w/ lots of frogs and fish.
back inside for a bit. then back outside to take the compost to the garden.
back inside for a bit. :LOL

i try to stay inside b/w 11-2, except for quickies where there is shade, which is most places on our immediate vacinity.

we have a patio/veranda outside our room, so that is nice too. we can be outside but under the shade of tree and near the room so i can get some things done.

we like to use the sprinker a lot too, which is easier then the pool. :LOL

ok, i am rambling. moral of the story, dd loves to be outside, so we spend a lot of time out there.

solticemama- is there any green space near your apt that you can hang out?

bugger, dd is ready for me to get off....

#379 of 404 Old 07-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Before Samaya...My girly woke up between 8-9:30, and I'd change her diaper, clothes, give her breakfast, sometimes put cartoons on so that I can have a shower (only public stations with no commercials).. then upstairs to gramas house where the computer is, and I tend to my addiction (MDC) grama watched her while on here, then maybe we'd go shopping, clean up the house, go to the park for a walk, go to the library (which I imagine I will appreciate a lot more once she is older)eat lunch, nap time, visit with grama, auntie fern, and elwynn perhaps, supper, more MDC for me, sleep time, and movie time for me.

Now...wake up in a pool of pee and breastmilk. think about how I am going to extricate myself from the bed without waking the babies up. pick up samaya and change her soaking diaper and clothes. change haeven's soaking diaper (if I can catch her) change my diaper:LOL Just kidding... try to go pee with one arm (not that hard, but hard to pull up my pants)... time for ME to get dressed. have to put baby down for a minute while watching haeven like ahawk that she doesn't try to pick her up or stick her finger in her eye.... it's quite the juggling act. Today we are going to go to the market downtown, which I imagine will take us a half hour or more to get ready for. even though we're already dressed. sigh* Good times
#380 of 404 Old 07-17-2004, 11:15 PM

I tend to feel isolated at times but only because of Owen's naptime that I refuse to mess with. He sleeps from about 11-2. Hard to go anywhere and be back by 11:00, ya know. We tend to keep our trips short. We play outside a lot. We now have a fence, so that gives me a lot of peace of mind. We play with rocks a lot--one of Owen's passions! :LOL Chalk, bubbles, balls (another one of his passions) and cars/trucks.

We go for walks and bike rides (I have a seat on the back of my bike for him). That's about it.
#381 of 404 Old 07-17-2004, 11:20 PM

Brayg~Your baby sleeps for 3 hours every day? Wow, I'm impressed. A 2 hour nap is the most I can get out of my DD. But recently she's been sleeping more. Must be the breastmilk, I think.
#382 of 404 Old 07-17-2004, 11:41 PM

most days he does. He's also been sleeping 12 hours/night lately. He's on hyperdrive during his waking hours, so it's great that he sleeps well! :LOL
#383 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 12:29 AM

I forgot to add that we do have a standing playdate once a week with a friend who is only one month older than Owen. The mom and I get along so well. I just love her!

We do ECFE (early childhood) classes during the school year as well.

Next week, Jacob starts swimming lessons, so we'll be hanging out at the pool (they have a wonderful kiddie pool) for 2 weeks. Yay!
#384 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 02:53 AM

saying hello here. i'm in a bad mood and it will go away but i don't want to share too much of it. i cracked a rib, i think, monday and it is starting to wear me down along with everything else. my kids are really happy lately so really i must be doing something right. summers are pretty hard here for me. they are like minnesota winters where you turn on the car to get it at a reasonable temperature and you run from the house to the vehicle, and walk the short distance to the place you are going so that the heat doesn't get you. i'm exaggerating of course because now that i have kids i have at least try to go outside even if they complain or they get crazy and i'm okay with sweating and getting wet but the mosquitoes and fire ants are another story. today i even walked to the grocery store up the block that i'm so grateful to live near even though it won't take my food stamps so i hardly go there. but it was still tough and i hadn't done it in months even with the actual breeze today. what the summer really does is makes me feel isolated. this is the first year i have not stated that i'm moving away from here just because of the durned climate. i'm beginning to despair that i will not ever figure how to garden manageably here which is a small thing compared to my dissatisfaction with the house and money. aack, i've complained enough. and i know it's stupid and wasting my energy. it's when i don't complain about the millions of little things gnawing at me, that is usually when life is actually hard. i guess i'm tired of being in either state. i know that bliss is just in my mind. at least i have a home and dh and healthy kids to feel disgruntled about. okay, i've shared too much already.
#385 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

casina. Sorry you're having a rotten time.

I have new pictures in my sig line (I think!) There are some really great pictures of my Very First Tandem Nursing. :LOL I was so excited! :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#386 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 03:25 AM

AWwwwww... rynna, your babys are so cute. eli with his big green eyes, and rivkah sure looks smart!!! Just one month old, and looks like she's 4 months old!
#387 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jaz! I'm totally impressed by Rivkah, she's already done some very cool things. It feels to me like she's older than three weeks, I just can't remember the family dynamic before she was here.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#388 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 07:37 AM

casina-- s to you.....
#389 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 AM

brayg--- Scarlett is really into rocks and sticks too.

((hugs)) casina. I don't think complaining is all bad. It gets it off your chest so to speak, and sometimes just that helps. I know what you mean though... it seems as soon as I complain about something I hear of someone having a much worse time. Occasionally it will make me feel guilty, but mostly it helps me to remember the blessings I do have. Which is good to be reminded of now and then.

#390 of 404 Old 07-18-2004, 12:23 PM

Casina

Rynna--how's Rivkah doing?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page