November/December '02 --the latest incarnation - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 404 Old 06-01-2004, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have left dd with dh recently and since she is a real daddy's girl she had no problem with this. We have left her with my mom a few times and that has gone well too, as long as I am back for nap there is no problem. My mom still has two young children at home though so she isn't able to babysit much. I have only recently felt comfortable leaving dd with anyone. She still nurses quite a bit and is very shy, even with family.

Recently I was invited to the graduation of a former student. I was beyond excited for this student. In the heat of the moment I made plans to travel, two hours away, for the graduation, Which was at 8pm. Dh and I thought we'd travel in the morning, visit with family, have an early dinner with a former coworker of mine, attend graduation and then drive home.

The next day I was After thinking about it I knew I was expecting too much of dd. Even if we just drove up for the grad. She is always in bed by 8, if not asleep. I didn't feel comfortable leaving her with my mom for bedtime duty while I was in a whole different city. I was over missing such an important moment in my former student's life.... but I had to do what felt right for my family, kwim? DD is a daddy's girl but when she's tired she is all about the "num nums"

Oh yeah, about the car seat thing. I was adamant abouyt leaving her rear facing as long as possible...but dd hates the car. hates it. Going anywhere in the car with her was a totally miserable experience, even if it was only a ten minute drive. So we turned her around as soon as she met the requirements. Now that she can see us and see out the windows she is SOOOO much happier in the car.

Today Dd and I are both sick.... yuck.
#122 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 01:45 AM

fern, i enjoyed your pictures. i'm always clicking on the tags now and then, to see the babies!
#123 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 01:20 PM

Yes, the pics of your family are lovely MamaFern. Elwynn is beautiful, thanks for sharing. Everyone's been so generous with the pics of their babes I think I'm finally gonna have to reciprocate. So here is a picture of my little Mukti.
#124 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 01:48 PM

Oh my gosh the pics that mama fern and solsticemama have posted just totally made me and dd's day!! Thanks so much for sharing mamas!! You have beautiful babies.

I am hoping that when my mil comes in a few weeks she can help me to share some pics with y'all. She is a computer whiz (and I am not :LOL)
#125 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 02:57 PM

No problemo, Kristin. Maybe another time.
#126 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM

*solsticemama* your ds is adorable, such cute kissable cheeks!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#127 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 PM

I am enjoying all the pictures of everyone's kiddos. Casina, Fern, and Solticemamma, you have beautiful children. Here's the link to my album where you can view pictures of Christopher and also a picture of me and DH.

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/v138/hjohnson6/

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#128 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 04:06 PM

aaaaawwwww what a cutie Heather! Thanks for sharing with us!
#129 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 PM

so cute heather! i love the bball one -- my dh and i used to go to a lot of cleveland games when we lived in ohio. no major league baseball in my neck of the woods.

i'm away from dd for a few days -- ok i left this am at 730 and will return after she goes to bed tomorrow. I when i left this morning. She knew something was up, meaning she was WAY more clingy than an average morning. Left her with dh, they called my cell this afternoon and i talked to her. he said she was looking at the phone like "why is mom in this plastic thing?" So i haven't pumped yet and am feeling very full. Plus i forgot to bring an ice pack so i'm pumping and dumping . sigh. Oh well, at least after I pump tonight I'll probably wake up feeling very full tomorrow morning and get an early start on my work here in minneapolis.

i thought of ya'll on the way down today. specifically i was thinking of lil'missmama and how hard it would be to move right now. I also was thinking about your comments on weaning....and worrying about you that you were feeling overly guilty about that. I'm amazed at how connected and down to earth you seem despite all the turmoil in your life.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#130 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 10:51 PM

Thank you for your kind words everyone; it really helps to hear and to know there is support for me. Right now MDC, specifically you guys, are my only mama support. This will change once we get to Tucson and I'm looking forward to talking to real live mamas again! ~Anna

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#131 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 10:52 PM

hjohnson-- loved the pictures! it is so fun to see all the kiddos

#132 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 11:48 PM

There have been so many good posts lately, and i would love to dig in and respond. but i just don't have the energy or time these days. ugh.
wanted to chime in , however, in saying that the newly posted photos are wonderful!!!

Here is our

latest photo

#133 of 404 Old 06-02-2004, 11:59 PM

great pics everyone! The link in my siggy has been the same for a while--I like that pic so much. I did take a few new ones...

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMWzFi1cOWjHyA
#134 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 12:41 AM

Everyone's babies are soooo cute!!! It would be so cool to see them all together hamming it up IRL. I took my pics down as they were getting pretty old, and I'll have some new ones in about a month, so stay tuned. I'm going to post some "day before baby makes his exit" pics too. I'll be hugemongous.

Fern, do you have any pics of haeven with elwynn that you could post for me? I think you've taken some more recently, right?
#135 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 12:33 PM

Thanks mamas Yep, everyone's babes are adorable, thanks for sharing.

So Brayg what did you decide to do? Did you figure something out that would allow both mama and babe to feel comfy? It turns out that my friend's birthday dinner is right here in town and starts earlier than I'd thought. Dh is all set to take ds for a couple of hours and STILL I'm hesitant and probably won't decide what to do till the last minute.

*Mamajaza* looking forward to 'hugemongous' belly pics

Eilonwy, still here?
#136 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *solsticemama*
So Brayg what did you decide to do? Did you figure something out that would allow both mama and babe to feel comfy?
I've decided to put my life on hold! :LOL That makes me feel better, to be honest with you. It's more stressful to me to worry about a babysitter and how Owen would react than to miss out on whatever. I haven't gotten word on a reunion, so who knows if one is even planned? As far as the Harry Potter movie--I told dh that he could take Jacob and then Jacob and I would go see it together. Jacob loves to see movies multiple times, so it'll be great.
#137 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 02:18 PM

to brayg for choose to do what felt right. good move! isn't that what we are supposed tobe doing -- listening to our instincts?

#138 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 03:30 PM

Rachel it sounds like you came up with a great decision! I got a special birthday present today. My friend's daughter was born at 2:51am this morning.

#139 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *solsticemama*

Eilonwy, still here?
Very much so. And tired! But pretty happy, i guess. yesterday, i found out that i'm gbs negative .

eli is very tired and refusing to sleep without nursies. nursies are *painful* for me right now; getting colostrum just seems to encourage him to suck harder these days.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#140 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 PM

Brayg you'll only get support from this tribe I think However I have IRL friends who seem uncomfortable with my 24/7 mothering. I have been getting subtle and not so subtle hints to "take a break, go out for a meal, leave him with a babysitter" and so on and so forth. This has been going on since ds was quite small starting with 'he's still getting bm only?' to the usual 'is he sleeping in his own bed/thru the night yet' On their own the comments are innocuous tho irritating but over time they start to wear on a person YK. With certain friends I feel I am constantly fending off the unspoken advice so I've taken to calling them less. Gee, this seems to have turned into a little rant.

I also tend not to think of this as putting my life on hold. It IS my life right now and most days I am grateful and happy about it. Ok I'm getting bored with the sound of my own voice. mamas
#141 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayg
I've decided to put my life on hold! :LOL That makes me feel better, to be honest with you.
It's really interesting that you say that, because I see things just the other way; when I get to go out to a movie by myself, *that's* putting my life on hold, or taking a vacation. Being EliBean's mommy is my life right now. It seems pretty natural to me, and it's easier when I stop and realize that it's such a short period of time in the long run. I've probably got at the very least 35 more good years in me, so what's a few now? Whenever I hear an older person talk about their baby who is all grown up, I'm reminded of how short a time they are kids and it makes it easier for me to deal with the daily grind.

That's not to say that I don't need breaks on occasion... but I have to tell you, I didn't feel the need for breaks very often until I got pregnant again. I think I took three before NewBean was concieved, so that's three in ten months. And two of those were in the early days, when I was still stressed out from Eli's birth; I went to Border's, drank hot chocolate and read books and magazines for two hours. :LOL It was a vacation!

I'm fairly confident that this will change once NewBean arrives; two kids are a lot more stress, and a lot more work than one. So every now and then, I will put my life on hold, drive to Panera with a book, have a bowl of soup and then sit there reading until they close. I know I won't be the best Mamma I can be without the occasional sabbatical.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#142 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 PM

a quick chiming in to say that dd too is my life, and i am fine with it. as i've said before, it took me 4 years to concieve dd. i honor and respect the fact that she came to me, and i feel i owe it to her to be there for her as much as humanely possible. this is not to say that i wouldn't mind a few more breaks, these last weeks especially. but it is something that i've choosen- having a child. ykwim?

darn, dd is litterally pulling me away from the keyboard.....
#143 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 06:12 PM

yesterday Scarlett tried to say her name for the first time. it came out like "sarett"

#144 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 10:48 PM

ok, after i posted i re-thought about what i said, and i think saying "dd is my life" is not exactly a healthy perspective, for me anyway. i'd like to rephrase that as, dd is my main focus. :LOL may be symantics, but as i'm struggling w/ my internal spiritual practice (read: the lack of focus i've been putting on it the last year and a half), i scared myself by saying that dd is my life. i mean, i want to live a balanced life, ya know?

anyway, i have choosen to put the majority of my energies into raising dd. but i do think some "me" time is crucial in ultimately serving dd. for me, this translates into time alone to meditate, clean, read, ect.
maybe some time in the future that will mean time away from the house. but for now, i remain close at almost all times.

#145 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
It's really interesting that you say that, because I see things just the other way; when I get to go out to a movie by myself, *that's* putting my life on hold,
Whoops! I totally didn't mean it that way. Now I feel horrible!

I guess what I meant is that I decided to put other aspects of my life on hold because my duty is to my child/ren and they come first. I fully agree: my kids/family ARE my life, but so are some of the day to day things that come up that I may have to say "no" to--like reunions, movies, meetings, dental visits (I'm finally getting to go to the dentist this Tuesday!), etc...those things also make up my "life" and I'm choosing to put those on hold for now.

k...hope that sounded better!
#146 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 11:21 PM

scarlet is a hard name to say. wow that she tried it!
erin i think is having more success with "champ" than erin. the er sound is kinda hard.

heather -- what a perfect bday present. is it your bday?

gotta run. dinner calls.

#147 of 404 Old 06-03-2004, 11:48 PM

Mona-- I agree with your perspective. It is important to have a mama life too.

Scarlett has been trying to use more words lately. She talks a lot about "froggie jump, monkey jump, bunny hop", and lots of things are "stinky"LOL

#148 of 404 Old 06-04-2004, 02:01 AM

solsticemama, are these friends that don't have kids that are saying these things?
#149 of 404 Old 06-04-2004, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc
scarlet is a hard name to say. wow that she tried it!
erin i think is having more success with "champ" than erin. the er sound is kinda hard.

heather -- what a perfect bday present. is it your bday?

gotta run. dinner calls.
Kristin yesterday was my 29th birthday. Can't believe 30 is next year.

#150 of 404 Old 06-04-2004, 02:00 PM

Yes, one doesn't have any children so it's easier to put her comments in some kind of perspective but the other one does and because she's got the context it's harder. She's a lovely woman, very kind but with a different style of parenting. She's older too, her kids are grown, so the dynamic is slightly different than it would be with a peer. She doesn't get why I want ds in bed with us, why I waited so long for solids and am still nursing, why I don't use a babysitter etc and because the reasons are intertwined with the very fabric of who I am as a woman I decided to stop explaining. The result of this is a whole unspoken dialogue that's going on between us. It's all good tho YK. She's taught me alot and there is a mutual respect there and these days I'm thinking to be able to live with ambiguity is key and it's often what brings texture to my days, much as I may want things black or white sometimes.

hpjohnson belated birthday wishes to you

December Sun where are you these days, mama?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page