November/December '02 --the latest incarnation - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where is everyone, is universe a little crazy these days? none of my irl friends are calling or emailing either, and my dh is gone overnight. my day yesterday got better, though for weird reasons. the wake was for a 17 boy with muscular dystrophy in my homeschool group who had had died suddenly. on the way there i found out via cell phone that my sil miscarried. so after it i did some nonstructured things with the kids that they loved for a few hours, like walking around empty downtown kicking rocks and putting our feet in a public fountain and listening to the roar of the water. my life is insane, yet precious.

now back to the mundane, my home is a wreck. i would have never believed before kids that i would aspire to cleaning in my free time.
#242 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 01:32 AM

Sounds like you've been through a lot recently, casina. We've been busy lately, too... Busy and lazy at the same time, so nothing important (around the house) gets done. Today we all layed around and I even took an hour-long nap. It was pretty nice, even though I got a rude awakening by DS forcefully latching on, and then performing gymnastics on my chest.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed cleaning my house before I had kids. I loved cleaning everything up, then lighting an incense and sitting back to enjoy the finished product- cleanliness, everything in it's place, no clutter, no dust, chi flowing freely... Ah, the good old days. Now I vacuum only when I can't stand all the crunching of crackers on the carpet anymore, and I never scour the bathtub, and there is clutter EVERYWHERE. I once read a refrigerator magnet that said "Dull women have immaculate households." I like that, it makes me feel a little better...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#243 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 01:36 AM

hey, it means you played with and helped your kids instead of ignoring them and cleaning.
#244 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 01:43 AM

December Sun, I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking about that very thing today as I finally got around to cleaning the ink from dd's scribbling off of the kitchen cabinets and window sill (thanks a million for the mr clean thingamajig advice Lilyka) and I was thinking man, I don't even remember the last time I dusted or scrubbed the shower.... those used to be weekly things for me. sigh.

But it is just way more fun to go play in the water hose

Casina, your post made me smile, because dh and I did those very same things when we were there. Except the putting our feet in the fountains. We would have, but it wasn't hot just yet and we were too excited being our first vacation and all.

Life here has been crazy, ive been sick sick sick, the a/c was out for a few days so we had to pack up and stay with a friend of our mil whose house has way too many stairs and breakable crap everywhere, mil is coming in next week to stay for six weeks, hence my mad attempts at cleaning lately....

but i did say screw it this afternoon, dd and i got out the hose, made some mud and splashed around. It was great.
#245 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 02:53 AM

You know, most of the time I do lurk here and read about all of your lives... you all mean very much to me... I don't know why I don't make the investment in time to type little words into this screen to thank you for being here, making me feel... better. I guess I'm afraid I will noticeably fall behind and that will be another thing I cannot juggle successfully as a mother. But please know that there is someone out there in the world, silenty rooting for you.

I am a neat freak and dd is becoming one. It spells disaster for our future together. I put the toys away just so, XYZ, and she carefully rearranges them, YZX. I need to constantly remind myself that she is the young one and that makes it my job to adjust my reaction to the situation. I also have to remind myself of that when it comes to food. She takes 2 bites of something and wants something else-- about 28 times a day. When she comes to me and says she's hungry, I offer A? B? C? G? K? L? Head shake no, no, no, then yes, takes 2 bites and no again. I need to stop thinking of this as a rejection of me. She is just exploring her world, one nibble at a time.

It is the most adorable and frustrating thing that she still doesn't use words. When we prompt "can you say...?" She nods her head yes and doesn't make a sound. I truly believe she COULD say...? but chooses not to. At IRL playgroup last week all the toddlers sat around counting rocks into egg cartons at the park. A tiny chorus of "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8" and dd was silent. But she LOVES numbers. She has a set of number tiles and loves to jumble them up and then put them in proper order like a puzzle. If I pick up any number and ask what comes next, she can hand me the appropriate number.

SIGH. I guess I'm just bragging so that I will stop worrying. What's the use in worrying? She's happy and healthy. One day when she's two she'll wake up and say "I would like a blueberry muffin for breakfast," and that will be that. (And then she'll count out the blueberries to boot )
#246 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 02:15 PM

Zach is talking, but he's not counting, so I hope that makes you feel better.

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#247 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 03:29 PM

part of the reason i stick with this group is to remind me that i have a baby. sometimes i have to look at photos of my kids just to see how small they are. their presence is much larger in life. they have a lifetime to read and count and clean. this is that wonderful ambiguous time that they can discover freely. they dance with no reserve.

i'm at the opposite with the cleaning. i have to get my house organized because my kids would benefit and are ready to help keep it up....or at least would understand where to find some things. so i'm running behind. i don't want to raise more slobs and packrats like me and dh. it's pretty hard with all their water sand and rice experimetns everywhere.....
#248 of 404 Old 06-20-2004, 11:18 PM

hi mamas!

we've been very busy these days- playing in the water, in the dirt, with the rocks, ect outside. it takes away from my mdc time.

xmas eve- my dd is pretty non verbal too. she does say some things, and has started to more in the last couple weeks. mostly she has her own language. i too think she could speak more if she wanted to. i really wish she wanted to, because the "ehhh" "ehhhh" noise really grates on me sometimes- this is the noise she makes when she wants something. i have to guess what it is. and get it to her before she melts. :

#249 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Hiya mamas. Just popping in to say hi. I'll have to come back and read more later. We've been busy 'round here lately too.
#250 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 AM

i expect alot from ruby. more than i should, perhaps because she is a girl. perhaps simply because she is who she is. she can assess situations and do things that my boys don't do, and i sometimes i feel i desperately need the help.

so i decree and remind myself that we should enjoy our babies. they have been in this world for only over one year.

talking is really cool and extra cute but is not an exact science. it does not guarantee understanding. it does not guarantee that we know what we want exactly. the exact word they say does not always mean the same as what the word has become for adults. sometimes it adds complexity to the frustrations especially when we try to talk about situations that demand action. many times i wish there was less talking around here. i wonder what it will be like when my kids can think in their head instead of saying everything aloud...around seven or eight it is said. i'm sure it will perplex me then. but then, my people reading abilities have jumped since i became a mamma.
i'm just saying, for y'all with first ones, they will fill your life with the soundtrack of their voice soon. and when they do, it will be an unstoppable force for quite awhile. it will introduce another facet of parenting you are blissfully not having to do yet, which is haggling with words and dealing with your wills in the endless possibilities of words. it changes from a physical game to more of a mental game. i guarantee they will test your intelligence and fortitude such is the nature of a child. it is a wonderful part of my life that has many rewards, but really, i promise it will come, and for now, ENJOY YOUR BABIES!
#251 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casina
sometimes i have to look at photos of my kids just to see how small they are. their presence is much larger in life.
sometimes I forget this too.

Connor is just starting to say things, a lot of it only his daddy and I can understand but he's finally trying. What is nice to see is that he's starting to use words along with the sign language that we taught him.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#252 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 12:18 PM

I love out-witting a child with words. You talk to them literally and logically, and I just love watching those gears clank around in their heads, and then the lightbulb goes on and it's miraculous how they have just LEARNED something because of the word "games" you played with them. I used to just LOVE having conversations with my step-son when he was 3 or 4. They think they know so much, and then you stump them and they have to sit and think for a minute. It's awesome that we shape their minds with how and what we say to them, from day to day. It makes me really try to be a better person for my kids. I need to curb my cursing habit pronto...

#253 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 02:30 PM

I just had to wash the dishes today, as they had been sitting there for days.... and haeven does not let me finish. I finally did get them done, after distracting her to her toys, then, unknown to me, she finds my brand new glasses and twists them all out of shape. I am so angry. I'm poor, and I paid 25$ extra for these glasses because they have titanium in them, but they're not breakproof. I wish this stage is over with right now!!! And she does not understand when I tell her these are my glasses, I NEED them. She just looks up at me with those big "innocent" eyes. I was sooooo tempted to swat her. but I'm here instead. I just wish she would understand sometimes. :
#254 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 02:37 PM

Hi! We are back! We made it to Tucson yesterday. Our trip went very well overall. We spent two days at my grandparents, which the girls really enjoyed. Then we made our way South thru Colorado, NM, and then AZ. We stayed in a little town in NM called Silver City where I used to live and we spent some time in the Gila Wilderness while we were there. When we got into the Mountains Revina said "I smell something" it was the ponderosa pines They had a great time throwing rocks into the river. It was harder for Scarlett to travel then Revina, b/c it was harder for her to entertain herself. We took a few long stops each day, but by yesterday Scarlett was definetly tired of the car!
I haven't had a chance to read all the posts I have missed, but i am going to try to catch up. Right now we are just staying with a friend until we can find a place, hopefully by the first of July.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#255 of 404 Old 06-21-2004, 05:47 PM

Mamajaza, you are a great mama. Those few times, over occasions I can't even recall now, when dd had me seeing red, I felt so awful just to have had the thought of violence. To recognize that, to not follow through with it, and to come to your friends with that honesty speaks volumes about your integrity and the great example you are setting for your dd.

lilmiss'mama, I used to live in NM! Ahh, I miss the Gila...
#256 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 12:39 AM

MamaJaza I have been tempted to swat my dd too. It's really hard not to sometimes, espesially when that was your role model. I'm glad you came here instead. I'm really really sorry about your new glasses. Mine are being held together by hot glue *sigh* so I know what you mean.

Lilmissmama, glad your trip went so well and it's nice to see you here again. NM sounds beautiful and it sounds like your girls like it allready.

XmasEve, I was wondering how the NAET is going with your dd. My sister has severe food allergies and I want to tell my mom more about it. She is 8. Could you tell me more or direct me to some good links? Feel free to PM me if you like. TIA.

Anyone else thinking about eilonwy???
#257 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 12:51 AM

lilmiss! so glad to hear from you.

mamajaza.....my kids have showed their personalities by how they have wrecked my glasses (the reason i wear contacts most of the time....) reed would just snap the arms off. clay would break them at the bridge. those are glasses i got from one of the mall places so everytime he found them and broke them (three times? i had to wear the when pg) i would pay forty bucks for new frames that day and put the ol lenses in. i got some snazzy titanium ones in taiwan cos in a country where everyone wears glasses, they are much cheaper. so they were my nice ones. so what ruby did to both pairs (in the week i had pinkeye....), is she twirled the right arm like a lock of hair.

i got really mad at my kids today at walmart and had to leave without what i needed to make dinner (i cook for my mil twice a week for extra money). i know theoretically it is my own fault for not watching my own limits. i know it is not a big deal in the grand scheme. but i was mad at them for the entire afternoon. i wanted to leave them at the store, and i was shaking so bad that i could barely get out my money and count it. i know alot of it is just my weariness with change. my dh is working much more, and was gone most of the weekend. as soon as he reaches forty hours, worker's comp will cut us off and we will have even less money. and he is exhausted and hurts. he's mentioned to me everyday this week how i will need to find some sort of supplemental income. i already know that. i'm just tired. my home is not a haven. the physical balance of my house is marginal. i can't find anything, and it gets exponentially messy, and everything is slightly broken or leaking.

but i'm fostering some superior humans, right?
#258 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casina
but i'm fostering some superior humans, right?
absolutely.

I'm sorry.

It's days like today, mamajaza and casina, that i do wish we all lived closer.
#259 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 08:34 AM

casina- i'm so sorry that you are feeling stressed right now. i hope that something comes to you for money. in the meantime, have you considered ebay? :LOL i have sold lots of stuff there. unfortunately, i'm out of things to sell. but it was helpful while it lasted.
s
#260 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 10:24 AM

urgh. money. we're doing money struggles right now. yesterday was a really tough day for me because of that. I just hate living paycheck to paycheck. I know that I am close to getting out of it when I finish this darn degree, but not close enough, KWIM?

lilmiss -- glad your trip went well. it inspired me to try more traveling with dd.

glasses: it doesn't solve absolutely everything, but much of my glasses struggle was solved by buying erin some of her own. We got 2 pair of sunglasses at target for 1.99 (in the summer toys section). So whenever she grabs at my "lasses" I gently remind her she has a pair and might think about going to find them.

how are the pg mamas doing? Is everyone still pregnant?

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#261 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 01:33 PM

I'm still pregnant! Wanna see a picture or two?http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...92&uid=2143685 We took them yesterday.

Thanks everyone for the understanding about my "glasses" situation. It's hard being poor (in the financial way, exclusively) and all the stresses that come with that.
#262 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkprincessmama
XmasEve, I was wondering how the NAET is going with your dd. My sister has severe food allergies and I want to tell my mom more about it. She is 8. Could you tell me more or direct me to some good links? Feel free to PM me if you like. TIA.
I LOVE the NAET. Dd does too, she gets all excited to go see _____, the practitioner. (She's becoming a little DOM herself, always massaging my acupressure points!) I think it's done wonders. We still have a long way to go (dd is so allergic to everything that she even reacts to white rice, seriously, even WHITE RICE, oy!), but have come so far. I cringe to think what her life might have been like if I hadn't found this route. My friend has an 8-year-old dd who is severely allergic and every day it's like, "A, don't eat the cheese! I can see your little teeth marks in it, I don't care how good it tastes, it'll make you sick!"

What sold me on it was our doctor of Oriental Medicine. There are books (anything by Dr. Devi Nambudripad) and a website, NAET.com. But I would never have gone for it just reading or looking at those... I would suggest your mom read the book 'Say Goodbye to Illness' and try to find a practitioner in her area just to get your sister tested. And ask around, you'd be surprised how many people have benefitted from it.

The downside is how long it takes, but there is no overnight miracle in anything but conception, right? And cost. What drives me the extra mile toward crazy with dd is how we've spent literally hundreds of dollars so that she can eat whatever she wants, and all she wants is grapes and peas!

Mamajaza, cute pics. As I spend most of my day rough housing with dd, I have to wonder, how do you protect that belly from a toddler?
#263 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 07:39 PM

How do I protect my belly from my toddler? Well, I don't get myself into situations where my belly could be hurt. And when she is in "that" mood, I don't let her hurt my belly. It's frustrating, because I feel so much motherly protection for this little unborn one, but he's not even "here" yet. Oh well, soon I'll have two babies to love, cuddle, and breastfeed. They will grow up so quickly....

Did anyone see the new pic I put up of haeven and her cousin? It's right below the belly pic. They are so darling!!!!(If I may say so myself) I can't get over how darn cute elwynn is!!! He's my one and only nephew, and I love him like my other child. They are just 3 weeks apart in age, haeven and elwynn!

I just went to the chiropractor. Every time I heard that CRACK sound, I said WOW!!! It feels so good. all aligned and stuff, ready for giving birth soon.
#264 of 404 Old 06-22-2004, 11:19 PM

I am still pregnant. I have about 10 weeks to go. Christopher loves to crawl all over my belly which isn't quite pleasant at times. I need to call my Chiropractor. I have a rib head out of place and it hurts when I breathe. Life around here has been busy but we are slowing down. Grant finished Christopher's swing set (he built it from scratch except for the swings, slide, steering wheel, and safety handles) and Christopher loves it! Poor little guy was heartbroken today because he couldn't go outside to play since it was raining buckets. He doesn't quite understand rain yet.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#265 of 404 Old 06-23-2004, 01:28 AM

mammas, thanks for the support. i'm starting to feel my energy picking back up slowly. and mona, yes i do have some ebaying to do. i have some sewing projects to begin and it's just finding the rhythm to doing it. or a rhythm to doing anything.....

this evening i went to see harry potter with a fellow mamma, just the two of us. it was like a huge vacation.

bellies are protective in themselves. second babies are big reasons to use slings round the clock, like being pregnant on the outside. mamajaza, i'm amazed at how little you appear in the photo. you look beautiful. and i love the picture of haeven and elwynn.

i have babyfever. dumb, i know, i'm intellectually putting it aside since i want to continue the nursing relationships i have now without change. and i would like a year with no one under two or pregnant to get some enterprises started so that there is less of a survival money problem. now is about the time that if i did not have the iud, i would get pregnant again. and i'm confounded by the idea that me and dh would have to 100 percent decide to conceive to get the contraption out. i can see now the beauty of not planning my 2nd and 3rd kids. i've always felt i'd have at least four children but dh is not as keen about the added responsibility. and i'm bizarrely relieved that my sil is no longer pg. we are usually pg at the same time.

rambling,

casina
#266 of 404 Old 06-23-2004, 01:50 AM

I'm just going to say it, because it echoes through my head everytime I hear one of you mommas with an IUD bring it up... Every woman that I have ever known irl w/an IUD has gotten pregnant with the damn thing. Just a thought.
#267 of 404 Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 AM

strangely, i find that funny.
#268 of 404 Old 06-23-2004, 08:49 AM

i have to second xmas eve- my best friend had an iud. that woman is as ferticle as can be tho.
:LOL

not me. no protection for 4 years, doing it every which way, all the time. :LOL :
#269 of 404 Old 06-23-2004, 09:58 AM

Seeing the chiro was one of the best things I did for myself while pg. I didn't go when I was pg w/Jacob and I was so sore. I went to the chiro the same day as every prenatal appt. and it was awesome! I even went for 2 massages during that time. It was great!

Wow Jasanna--you are such a gorgeous preggo mama! I long for that perfect baby belly, but I'm overweight and will probably never have that. *sigh* Oh well...
#270 of 404 Old 06-23-2004, 02:08 PM

I am considering getting an IUD after this baby arrives. But I can't imagine how weird that would be getting pregnant with one in there. I guess I would either have to get the IUD removed, or have an abortion, something that I don't think I could do. I think I am very fertile, but I don't want 6 (or more) kids by the time I am 40.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page