Toddler Wearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2004, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I received an email from someone asking me about "baby wearing" benefits for her 13 month old. She wondered if putting her DS in a backpack carrier (and thus him just "peeping over her shoulder and attached to her back") would have any advantages to say a stroller. She wondered if at her DS's age if he wouldn't get more out of traveling in a stroller.

I would like to address her question from the perspective of what benefits are gained from toddler-wearing. I have some ideas of my own but wanted to see what other toddler-wearers have to say.

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 08:01 PM

Well, I don't wear my toddler a whole lot, but at 25 months she still goes in her sling at least once a day. At 13 months she was in it a lot. She stayed happy a lot longer in her sling than her stroller. It was a lot more convenient for me, for things like standing in line at the bank, where, if she was in her stroller she would be whining the whole time, but if she was in her sling she would be totally content. Also I just find it a lot more convenient to just wad a sling up and throw it in the diaper bag than to have to push this big giant thing around, worry about where to park it so it won't be in anyone's way, etc. Also at that age I still did chores around the house while wearing her. I got a lot more done, and she got to see what I was doing. Baby and toddler wearing has been all about making life easier for both me and my child. I've never understood why anyone wouldn't want to.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:04 PM

My daughter loves to be in her back pack... she is very happy back there. She loves to cuddle me and she falls asleep rather easily when her head is resting on my shoulder.
HTH
Old 05-18-2004, 08:08 PM
QDB

i agree with the other posters' points and just wanted to add that in a backpack.sling etc my ds is at adult eye level whereas in a stroller they are at knee/wrist level which I have always thought was vaguely disrespectful or something, ykwim?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent points! I especially like the point about being at eye level. I also think at that age, bonding is still really important. Thanks for your help, Mamas!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:39 PM

I carried dd in her sling until she got too tall (started to interfere with my walking) at about 28 mo. She was the ultimate velcro baby, and really seemed to crave constant contact. I also think that being at eye level w/ adults helped to develop her language and social skills- she was able to see the people around her conversing more easily than if she were in a stroller.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At 13 mos (& 25 lbs), my dd still spends a lot of time in her sling . I use it to nurse her and get her to sleep for naps and at night. I have tried other ways to get her to sleep - they have not worked for us, at all!

I also use it to do things around the house if she's fussy. She loves to be up at my level where she can really interact with me. I think it must be hard to be so tiny and have the world happening so far above you that you can't get in the game. The sling helps alleviate the frustration I think toddlers normally have when they are unable to see what's going on, much less be a part of it.

I also use it for short errands. It's much more convenient (quicker, less cumbersome) than a stroller or a shopping cart.

Another reason to use a sling with a toddler - they're heavy little buggers!
No matter what kind of parent you are (AP or not), you end up holding your toddler a lot. The sling takes the weight off your arms and puts it on your hip, allowing you to hold them even longer.

I would be lost without a sling, even now that my baby is a toddler.

User Tag List