We did it!! (our first date night!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2004, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had to tell somebody, and this seemed the right place for it. Tonight my DH and I went out together, alone, for the first time in a year. That time was the first time, and it consisted of leaving DD with my mum (with whom we were staying at the time) for a grand total of 40 minutes while we raced to McDonalds for our "date".

My mother is now visiting us (we don't live in the same country anymore) and both she and DD have been getting along wonderfully. So DH and I asked if we could go out for an early dinner. We freaked about it as the time to leave approached. DD was napping and we weren't sure whether it was better to leave while she was asleep or not. We did. I even managed to get through the whole meal without phoning home (mum had our cell number and promised to call if DD got too upset). I finally called on our way home and apparently DD had not shed a single tear, nor even asked about us. They'd had dinner, and were playing some sort of game. So DH and I stopped for ice cream!

I am SOOOO happy and proud that my little girl dealt with this all so well. It made the evening very enjoyable, too, of course. With the little one due in October, I know this will likely be one of our last chances. It was nothing special to a "non-child" couple, but for us it was so nice!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 12:19 AM

That sounded awesome. Ice cream too?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:48 AM

YAY You!
It is so wonderful to steal some time with your spouse. How great that she did so well and you were able to relax and enjoy your ice-cream!
Old 05-23-2004, 01:15 AM

Good for you! That time alone is important.
My mom came to stay with us for the birth of dd#2, a few days before labor dp and I went into town for dinner and a movie, so wonderful!

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:09 AM

aw, that's awesome dh and i got away for 2 whole hours a couple months ago, our first real time alone since dd was born, and it was awesome. very surreal, though, lol

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hooray-sounds like the time was right!

DS is one and last night our friend came over for 4 hours while we went to an outdoor mineral bath under the trees. The water is naturally at 100 degrees year round.

She had kept him for me before, with me in the other room while I was teaching, but this was a big one! It was wonderful to spend some time with hubby again. We didn't even talk the whole time, it was just nice to have uninterrupted time.

Then of course, we cried coming up the driveway...they were outside playing and Aunt D said he didn't cry once the whole time. I was so proud of him and grateful to her!

If you haven't tried this yet, and the timing seems right for your child and your marraige, think about it, mamas!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!
Old 05-23-2004, 05:22 PM

DH and I have only been out to lunch. Last YEAR on my birthday! I am planning a surprise date for him on his B-day in August - DD will be 2-1/2 and it will be our first date. LOL.

So happy to read the wonderful posts about it!
Old 05-23-2004, 11:37 PM

Piglet: That is really great!! I remember Those days when it was new to get out like that. Not so long ago... just a few years now.... but now i feel like we're practically pros! And I am so glad im not the only one to FREAK right before... a few times I'd be saying.." oh, this is such a hassle, it's not worth it" -- how romantic,huh?
I'm glad your dd did well. That sure feels good.
I find with practice it gets better and better.
Laura

User Tag List