Mothering Forum banner

Tips while traveling with children (experience based).

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Rose193 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
1. First of all, book your flight tickets with months in advance; it's cheaper and you can choose the front seats.

2. Reserve a family friendly accommodation (good location, services, price, etc.)

3. Make your kids walk a little bit around the airport or somewhere else before the flight or roadtrip.

4. Avoid driving with all the luggage, kids and stuff and ask for a private transportation service. I had a really good experience last holidays when I called a shuttle to lax instead of driving to that chaos.

5. Get access to the airline lounges and relax a little bit. . Lounge areas provide to you comfortable waiting places, food, beverages, and entertaining stuff.

6. Visit the restroom before the trip!

7. Pack your kids favorite toys, this way they can get entertained and feel calmed with them.

8. Always have some snacks on your purse.

:grin: :wink:

See less See more
#5 ·
Our kids are older now, but we've traveled with them all their lives and never used an iPad.

We have always brought a lot of books, markers and paper, and as soon as they got old enough (3-1/2 - 4ish for us) we have brought kiddo card games. Spent a delayed 2 hours in Atlanta once with a little girl we didn't know, probably the kids were 4, 4, and 5, mostly playing Fruit Ninja. We also tried to have a new toy or two in the bag as well as favorites. They pack their own travel entertainment backpacks now: all we do is give them a couple limits (like not noisy and no little parts to lose).

We'll bring snacks that are out of our range of usual. We don't buy much processed food, but we'll loosen that up a little for flying and get something like those sesame rice sticks.

As long as I could (which was up to ages 2 and 3), I breastfed them like crazy on the plane.

Bring a clean set of clothes onboard a plane, and at least a clean shirt for yourself.

#8 ·
My best tip for long haul overseas flights has always been to book night flights whenever possible, even if it meant stopping over en route and booking a day hotel. Nothing better than two kids under 5 sleeping 9-10 hours during the flight than flying during the day and trying to keep them entertained.

#9 ·
If your child is still nursing, that's an excellent distractor. If not, just pack plenty of activities. Lots of snacks, lots of non noisy toys and whatever you need to balance ear pressure, pacifier, bottle or sippy cup.

Some people find that the car seat works since the child is used to being strapped in that and not able to get out, so they're more likely to accept the confinement of the plane. I've never tried that trick but I could see why it would work.

Reactions: applejuice
#10 ·
I Some people find that the car seat works since the child is used to being strapped in that and not able to get out, so they're more likely to accept the confinement of the plane. I've never tried that trick but I could see why it would work.
It worked really well for us. Not so much for the confinement (although that was an aspect when DS was a toddler), but that it was a familiar and comfortable place to sleep. They were used to falling asleep in their car seats, so it was easy for them to do so once buckled in on the plane. I even had crew remark once, "Oh, how sweet," as both were dozing away.

When DS was 2 we brought along the CARES harness instead of the seat. It wasn't as easy for him to fall asleep just because the upright plane seat is not the same as a cushy, angled car seat, but it was a lifesaver because he could open the lap belt in two seconds and would be running up and down the aisle otherwise, which is of course, a safety issue.

#12 ·
thank you for your answers! I booked a flight at 7 p.m. and I hope my Amy will fall asleep quickly because she normally goes to bed around 8 p.m. :) I packed her favorite toys, dolls and her singing book (hope other passengers won't kill me). Can you recommend anything to balance ear pressure? I've never had problems like that, but it's Amy first flight and I don't know what will happen :(

#13 ·
Anything that she can suck on will help. Just a sippy cup is fine. Some kids the air pressure change doesn't bother them, but it's best to be prepared.

Overall, I've traveled with kids of all ages and never had any major problems. You'll do great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.