Anyone take their 17 month old on a long plane trip? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zebra15

#1 of 6 Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Question Anyone take their 17 month old on a long plane trip?

First-time Daddy here

My wife and I thinking about taking a week long vacation from Toronto to Hawaii. A friend is getting married in Maui around April 1. I'm not big on weddings but it's an excuse for a vacation so why not!

Our son will be 1year + 5 months at that time.

I'm a bit concerned about 12 hours traveling with a toddler on a plane.

Am I setting myself up for a nightmare?

My alternatives:
1) go to my friend's reception which will be in Vancouver, so half the travel time (yet the ticket price is the same or higher, how does that work??)
or
2) take a few driving trips around my local region instead

I appreciate you experienced parents' thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 551 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Go on the trip and have a great time! Kids are far more portable than people give them credit for. Wherever mommy and daddy is, is where they want to be. I've traveled with my kids at all ages and we always had a great time. All you have to do is a little planning. Is baby still nursing? This is a life saver if he is. If not, bring along a favorite sucking item to help with ear pressure (sippy, bottle, pacifier, whatever). My kids have never had a problem with ear pressure, but some do. There will probably be a nap on the plane, so plan for that and set yourself up for success. Definitely suspend some rules about screen time, snacks, whatever to make life easier for you. Have a goody bag full of new items or snacks that you can take out when things start to get rocky. We just did a 16 hour road trip when the baby was 18 months old. A buckle toy was a new found favorite. Color wonder was great. Videos were a life saver. We always had the under two set as a lapper on the planes. I just could never see paying for an extra seat when they would just end up on my lap where they wanted to be anyways.

Good luck!!! You'll have a great time.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

#3 of 6 Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond L. Yacht View Post
First-time Daddy here

My wife and I thinking about taking a week long vacation from Toronto to Hawaii. A friend is getting married in Maui around April 1. I'm not big on weddings but it's an excuse for a vacation so why not!

Our son will be 1year + 5 months at that time.

I'm a bit concerned about 12 hours traveling with a toddler on a plane.

Am I setting myself up for a nightmare?

My alternatives:
1) go to my friend's reception which will be in Vancouver, so half the travel time (yet the ticket price is the same or higher, how does that work??)
or
2) take a few driving trips around my local region instead

I appreciate you experienced parents' thoughts
You can do...you might lose your mind thou

I did a trip on my own from Toronto to British Colombia (Islands) with a 7 month old and 3.5 year old and it was 2 planes.

Be prepared have a carry on with lots of stuff, but he will most likely sleep a good portion of t

If you can break up the flight time by staying a night somewhere it might work.

Good luck

#4 of 6 Old 01-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
I always traveled (single parent) with my now 16 yr old. I never gave it a second thought. I did get a second seat as mine preferred to sit alone at times. When he as 18 mos or he would NOT be sitting in my lap for 2-3 flights that spanned almost a full day.
Be sure to allow enough time for connections. I LOVED my stroller. Make sure to carry on enough diapers, wipes, changes of clothes of adults and baby, snacks and toys (ipad now probably too). If you can get an overnight flight that may work.
Go- have a blast, I never let my baby, toddler, or teenager stop me from doing things!

Sounds like a great adventure and I am quite jealous.
Xerxella likes this.

Mom to J and never ending 

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#5 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Find him some kind of animation (movies, games, toys) and also he could skip time by sleeping through the trip.
#6 of 6 Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
You just can't know. I had a 2 year old scream, and I mean scream, the entire way from Minneapolis to Albuquerque. He was very verbal - could without a doubt have told us if it were his ears. It wasn't. He was just tired and didn't want to be there.

If you do it, I advise getting him a seat if you can afford it. That gives him a play area. We had one by chance when my daughter was 11 months, and it was incredibly better. Tons of toys and books, as many new ones as you can carry on. Take some throat lozenges - I have read until my voice gave way more than once.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page