Mothering Forum banner

Is Youtube good for toddlers?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Markons92 
#1 ·
Is watching Youtube good for your kids?

I've been keeping my son from having access to smartphones and tables, but due to some reason he can now open Youtube in my husband's iPad himself! And he really enjoys it! :laugh:

Is it OK to let him watch it? And I'm finding the best Youtube channels for my kid. Any suggestion is very appreciated! 0:)

#3 ·
No video is good for toddlers. None. they need to be exploring so many other things and having face time with their parents and caregivers.
Thanks a lot for the info! :eek:

You're right. We don't communicate as much as when I read books for him. But do you think banning him on watching online video the right thing to do? I reckon it as sort of cruel (as he loves it). Well, maybe the best thing I can do is try to talk to him more with the above information in mind.

Btw, do you know good source of online kids vids that encourage mother-kid communication?

#8 ·
After reading up on the research on this, we never let our kids have regular screen time as toddlers. Sure, they got it here and there and it didn't damage them forever seeing an occasional movie when we're to dinner at a friend's house, nor do I judge using it as an occasional emergency tool like the PP mentioned, but I would never let it be a regular thing. Screens don't facilitate learning human interaction, they retard it. Kids that age need to be using their entire bodies to interact with a diverse environment with all their senses. They need to be interacting with other humans. This is how we are evolved to learn at that age. Screens are new and they change young brains. Also, it's not unusual for 2 year old to be able to figure out how to work things on a smart phone - go to a pediatric urgent care waiting room or the gate of a delayed flight - lots of bitty kids can entertain themselves this way. The devices are made to be easy. I've seen a lot of parents seem delighted to see this behavior, but it's not exceptional.

I have no problem being "cruel" to a child if it means limiting or forbidding something they like that is harmful to them. My son would have eaten only pasta and candy if we'd let him have his choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.