Mothering Forum banner

Yep, we're still here~Nov/Dec '02 mommas&babies~

15K views 646 replies 29 participants last post by  eilonwy 
#1 ·
Here's our new thread. Ahhh, all fresh and new.

What is *your* little 19-20 month old doin these days? My DD is adjusting to having a baby sister taking mommy and the meemee. She is a good big sister though, and trys to help in her own little ways.

Very cute times.

#352 ·
hey mommas..

we are doing very well on our tiny portion of the world. elwynn got to spend some really nice time with his great grama (my grama) this last few days.. they dont see eachother much and it was really sweet how well they got along. we visited my aunties with their sheep and dogs and cats..i love seeing elwynn in his gumboots helping my auntie clean out the barn. he is such a big helper

we went to a bluegrass festival where i bumped into another MDC momma and her 3 kids and Dh. it was super music and lots of fun for the kiddo's..hayrides, tractor rides..popcorn.

nursing lots still..but im nursing him at night then siging him to sleep and now he sleeps a lot better and i have some space. he still wakes in the night but wont nurse long.

potty training is going well. he peed in the potty 4 times today and a bunch outside.

take care!

ps gentian violet is good for thrush punk princess momma

#353 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bri's mom
My daughter has been testing me ALL day, she fought her nap until 6:30 p.m! I have been so crabby to her today, I feel so stressed and lonely lately, and the fact that she has been fighting her naps is really frustrating to me. I really need that 2 hour break in the day to take some time for myself (exercise, computer, read) How are your little december tots doing with their naps? How do you get them to lay down when its nap time? Any advice is welcome.
I'm in the same boat. My girl hasn't had a nap for three days in a row. Well, she did have a nap today, but it was for way too long in the late after noon, and I wonder what time she'll go to bed tonight.

#354 ·
It's a hot one here today! We were up at 7ish and ds had non-leaking night
. We're just being able to use our HHs thru the night with not too many leaks so his nightnursing must have cut down some tho it didn't feel like it last night. We were all restive.

I'm curious to know how much everyone else's toddlers are eating. This morning ds had some wake-up mama milk then lentil soup, tons of green beans, some sauteed arugula with goat cheese and a few strawberries plus some rice milk. Then he went on a walk with dh and after he came back he had some sprouted grain bread with coconut oil and almond butter. Also in there is some more mama milk. He's napping now but I'm curious to see how much he eats over the course of the rest of the day.

He also picked out his own
: today
I was going for the LHC aio but he had his sights set on the moon and stars flannel HH which doesn't do the job. But what could I do
he had made his choice and I wanted to honor it

*Mamajaza* I saw your no nap thread and thought how difficult that must be with a newborn to attune to as well
s

Punk gentian violet is traditionally used to treat thrush but it's not as benign as it's name implies. It's actually a chemical and some studies have found carcinogenic properties in it. My LC routinely did NOT advise it. HTH

Mamafern the image of little Elwynn in his gumboats is a sweet one.

Mona I've got no ideas for fluorescent marker removal

#355 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I am being induced tomorrow morning. I am 5 days past my due date so the doctor said it is time for this baby to come out. <sigh> I was hoping to go natural or have a few days between today and my inducement to try accupressure. Thankfully they don't start out with pitocin right away.

#361 ·
hjohnson~ My babies were 9 days, and 6 days overdue naturally, and they were'nt overly big or anything. I hope you go into labour before you get induced, it's not good to mess with nature. There are a lot of risks to getting induced (higher c-section rate). I had my last baby unassisted, so it's hard for me to imagine a doctor telling me when my baby comes out. I really hope everything goes as you wish it to be. Many blessing!!!

#362 ·
I haven't posted here in months but I do keep up with you all everyday and so I feel I know you all so well. So, I decided to reintroduce myself and come out in the open again. I'm gonna try to stick with posting more. This is a great group of mommas!

Ds was born 11-12-02. He is totally into trucks, cars, trains, and planes right now. He is also turning into a real daddy's boy, wanting my dh more than me when he is around. I am enjoying the little breaks! We still nurse a lot, day and night and I am starting to get a little burned out. I'm just thinking about creative ways to cut back a little. He really understands everything I say but I'm not sure how to handle it when he cries and begs to nurse. Obviously, I nurse him, but if I already said no once what is that teaching him. I really don't waiver at all on other things...once I've said no that's it. Anyway, I'm also thinking about TTC in a big way and wondering how all this will play into it. I just read Adventures in Tandem Nursing and I will say it scared me a little. Maybe I"m not so ready for a second baby.

Sorry for the rambling. I feel like one of you even though you don't know me. I"ll do better.

Heather, I've been thinking about you all day. Blessings!

#364 ·
and i forgot to say thank you to everyone for the help with the Genetian

solsticemama - about eating, dd is different everyday. i never know what to expect - sometimes she is eating all day and some days she barely eats. I just let her tell me when she is hungry, and often let her pick from the refridgerator. Sometimes I make up a plate of different foods and she grazes all day long. Actually she grazes anyways :LOL whether i do it intentionally or not.

lately her faves have been : kefir, berries and fruit of all kinds,beans with brown rice, home made popcorn.

She seems to be getting pickier, and often rejects meat (and other stuff to), like she chews it up and then spits it out. I am ignoring it and hoping it passes, or that she at least learns to spit it in her napkin instead of my hand!!

#365 ·
Punk- Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a great resource book. Hillary FLower talks about all the basics: positioning, your relationship with older child, sibling relationships, health and nutrition, troubleshooting, nursing during a pregnancy...I could go on. It is peppered with anecdotes from experienced moms and that is a really nice part of this book. It really put pregnancy and nursing and tandem nursing in perspective for me as I had forgotten a little about the intensity of a newborn and she talks a lot about making life adjustments with a newborn, a toddler and then on top on that, nursing both of them. I will say it took the wind out of my sails a bit and has made me reconsider ttc soon and/or tandem nursing. But, then I see and hold my nephew and I'm all ready again!

It's a great read and I'm glad I've read it before getting pg as I think it has impacted my decision making process. I couldn't find it in any library or borrow it from anyone so I bought mine on Amazon. I think I'll be glad I own a copy if I ever do tandem. HTH

#367 ·
hjohnson... I hope your baby can make his debut soon!

I'm tandem nursing my girls, and it's a challenge. there is a real natural instinct (for me anyways) to not let my older girl nurse. But she is really helping my supply increase, so I let her. And I don't *want* to wean her. I think that if I have another baby I will wait till Samaya has weaned. That probably won't be for another 3 years or so.

#368 ·
heather, you sound well. i'm glad you feel okay with where you are.

me and family have been sick for a week and half now. a strange sort of vacation.

mr. clean's magic eraser might do the job on the fluorescent marker.

having more babies.....nursing two or having two when you have one is just not easy to realize until it happens. some mammas have told me they thought the change to two children to be the harder than the change to having the first, or having more. the age spacing can sometimes be controlled. this is the physical part whether it is carrying two kids or maybe it would be nice if one kid could take off wet clothes by themselves, or grab something to eat. the work and exhaustion for mamma is definitely more when the spacing is leaner. this is an understatement but i don't want to sound funky.

as for the chemistry between the siblings and mamma and dad, this cannot be planned whatsoever. something i did not understand before i had two and more kids, is that i have to parent something invisible called the dynamic. it is the vibe and interaction between people that i was not prepared for. when dh was at work when i had my second, it was no longer just the permutation of me and reed, dealing with each other. it was the combinations of me and reed, me and clay, and clay and reed. then there's me interfering with them like reed throwing a towel on the baby, clay pooping and interrupting me preparing food for reed, and reed wanting my undivided attention, which i learned to fare much better with clay nursing and sleeping in the sling all day. but maybe this description can sort of explain the difference of focus with the addition of a baby. i've had to learn to see them as a group, and sometimes with me part of the group, but it is not easy to sift through all the directions when there have been concrete lines drawn with the one child.

having said all that, there's is no way to really prepare, one can just do. and i highly recommend having more than one child even though i did not plan it. i wonder about family planning after all, now that i have the choice when i didn't before. it is certainly easier on my conscience when i don't decide wholeheartedly and intelligently to have a baby. all that responsibility could be too much for my little brain.

#369 ·
hope you don't mind, i have more ramblings.....in my case, tandem nursing has definitely outweighed the not as i did with my first pair of kids. nursing solves many situations quickly. though with two children mammas learn to do different things as well, like picking up a child by the arm with one hand.....

intentional spacing in these times is a weird subject i haven't figured out. originally i wanted four to five year spacing. this would assume generally that the older child could somewhat forage for food and water, put on their own clothes if they were willing, and wipe their own butt, and not easily run off in a parking lot. i do tend to see some parents, once they get to that older age, decide that they are fine with just the one since the sleepless work of babyhood has gone. and i might have decided that as well. for now, i would just like us to be happy financially and have a daily rhythm for all of us including dh bfore having more.

and the naps. we have different needs relating to the nap. one is that child needs sleep and is cranky otherwise. two is that mamma wants the time alone (which another child picks up on fast and realizes that if they are awake while another is napping, they can have mom all to themselves). three is the desire to keep with a regular rhythm. when naps disappear and change, it helps me to figure what exactly it is that i'm not pleased with, and work from there. when it gets to where i'm spending more time trying to achieve naps than the actual napping time, then i know i have to give up. different kids have different sleep needs.

#370 ·
i love tandem nursing, no question. it really helps me to reconnect with beanbean on those days when 'm way too frustrated with him. he can nurse and relax and fall asleep, and it's just a wonderful feeling that reminds me why i wanted to have children in the first place.

nursing through pregnancy was different, and one of the most depressing experiences of my life. BeanBean was not physically ready to be eating more solid foods (he was still getting at least 80% of his nutrition from my milk) to say nothing of emotionally ready. I lost my milk and it was heartbreaking for both of us. I was so depressed, it was really hard to watch my son suffering. He started to get sick, his digestion was terrible, and he was generally unhappy all the time. I was so angry with myself for not taking seriously the idea that I might lose my milk if I got pregnant; I'd always had so much, I figured my supply would be fine.
I'm still sad when I look back on it.

We do not intend to TTC #3 until BooBah is able to drink Pediasure and eat enough food to sustain her. I wouldn't mind nursing her (or even both of them) during the pregnancy, but I don't want to feel like they're suffering because they don't have enough nursies. As I said before, I love tandem nursing. It's fabulous, and I really feel sorry for mothers of non-nursing toddlers because I have no idea how I'd deal with BeanBean if I didn't have nursies to offer him a lot of the time.

#371 ·
I love hearing the perspectives on tandem nursing. I feel so ready to ttc and ds would be almost 3 by the time there would be another baby around...I just have to gear myself up for it and take it as it comes. That's how I've handled every other parenting decision so far and I feel great about where we are! My instincts haven't betrayed me yet!

#372 ·
I am so in awe of all you tandum nursers! We are certain that one child is enough for us. I cannot even imagine having another let alone tandum nursing. I am so glad that people like you wonderful momma's are having more children b/c it gives me hope for the next generation.

2 from my little family of 3

Amy

#373 ·

Hello mamas,

We had a huge storm last Friday that knocked down a bunch of power lines, so we didn't have electricity. We had to stay in a hotel on Saturday night because we couldn't stand another night without air conditioning, and Crystal's medical equip. needed to be recharged after running on battery power for two days... Anyway we're up and running again now!

I had another three-day-marathon migraine which ended today, so I'm getting back into my groove with the housework and stuff.

We moved Zach's crib mattress onto the floor in our room, next to the bed. I'm making him sleep on his mattress, and if he wakes up in the middle of the night I'll lay with him down there. He did not like the idea at first- I told him "You have to sleep in your own bed now" and pointed to it and he whimpered "Bed? Nigh-night?" and pointed to my bed. In his new bed he'll nurse for 30 minutes, fall asleep, and as soon as I slip the nipple out of his mouth he wakes up screaming because he knows I'm going to leave. So, I haven't been getting much sleep lately, but I anticipate we'll have a few more bad nights like this before he gets the hang of it. I know this is something I have to do to save my sanity.

Zachary fights his naps a lot lately, too. He might skip a nap altogether, or he'll fall asleep anywhere from 3pm-5pm and sleep for 2 hours. He never has trouble going to bed at night, so it doesn't bother me when he does that. He actually does fine if he skips a nap- Julianna on the other hand falls to pieces and you can't take her anywhere. She HAS to sleep at her regular times or she goes nuts. So, everyone is different.

DH and I are planning on TTC next spring, as a 5th anniversary present to ourselves. I don't know if I can wait that long, though... :LOL I didn't want to have a summer delivery, or be big and pregnant during an Arizona summer, but we shall see. All this talk about tandem nursing and newborns and inducing labor has put babies on my brain! That, and I've been watching all the Discovery Health Channel's Baby Week shows...

Welcome to the new mama from Flagstaff! Next time I drive up north for the day we'll have to have a picnic together

Good luck on your upcoming delivery, Heather! I hope you have the birth you're wanting with David. Enjoy this wonderful time in your life...

#374 ·
i feel the same way! but i really flip flop a lot.. i LOVED being pregnant and i want to be again sooo much! but id like to be pregnant for like..24 months before having the baby..hehe. i dont feel like the milk thing is that much of an issue for us anymore.. my milk isnt much now and i think elwynn would want to nurse anyways..milkies or not..i guess the other factor is that elwynn's pappa and i really arent together and even if we were he NEVER wants to have more babies..or so he says..so i better find someone quick.. i guess there are other options, but i would really like to have a family(not that elwynn isnt the best little family anyone could ever have!)

we went to the dr yesterday because i noticed this white lump on elwynns penis a while ago.. it concerned me..i thought it was a cyst..but the doctor says its "smegma" an accumulation dead cells and oils that got trapped under the foreskin and it will naturally work its self out.she said that the first time she saw it she thought it was a cyst too, but its pretty common ctually.. im very relieved.

he also gained almost a pound and grew half an inch in the last month which for him is huge!
he was 16 lbs at one year and 18.7 last time i weighed him (a month ago) and now he is 19.3. YAY. maybe, just maybe he will be 20 for his #2. he really needs to get a little more chub on him if we are ever going to go diaper free because he has no bum at all.. i can hold his whole little behind in one hand and i have smallish hands!! i think little samaya will soon be bigger than him. by the way she is a little angel..
*lucky auntie*

#375 ·
BeanBean is definately losing weight.
He's stopped drinking so much pediasure, he's mostly refusing it and asking to nurse instead except for in the car (where he knows I won't nurse him). He was 28 pounds at one point over the summer (and looking very healthy; he's got huge bones just like Mamma) and three weeks ago at WIC he was 24... today I'm certain he's lost at least another two pounds. His ribs are showing again, and I can see his pelvis. He's still got the tiny bit of tushie he gained, so I know he's not undernourished, but he hasn't gotten any taller (which is what I'd hoped would happen instead of him just losing the weight). Instead of getting taller, he had a huge "brain spurt" and gained a whole lot of new words, better grammar and clearer speech and then he lost the weight. *sigh*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.