Mothering Forum banner

Yep, we're still here~Nov/Dec '02 mommas&babies~

15K views 646 replies 29 participants last post by  eilonwy 
#1 ·
Here's our new thread. Ahhh, all fresh and new.

What is *your* little 19-20 month old doin these days? My DD is adjusting to having a baby sister taking mommy and the meemee. She is a good big sister though, and trys to help in her own little ways.

Very cute times.

#527 ·
Leah, I have a Tough Traveler and LOVED it. We don't use it anymore because Owen just doesn't want to be confined in any way, but it was SO comfortable for both of us. I never got tired with him on my back. www.toughtraveler.com I got mine off ebay and have been contemplating selling it. If you do some research and decide to get a tough traveler, LMK...maybe we can work out a deal.

#528 ·
Thanks for the link, Rach!

Do you have the Stallion, the Filly, or do you remember? There are a ton to choose from on that site! The only thing I'm concerned about is that the Stallion is for people 5'5" and up in height and I'm only 5'3"...

#529 ·
Well...more big news in our house. We are weaning. It's child-led, but I've changed what I've been doing. We've always been in a nurse-in-the-morning and nurse-before-bed kind of routine. I would just go over to the chair and he'd come up and we'd nurse. I wondered yesterday if he'd even notice if I didn't offer. He didn't ask until 5pm yesterday (and hooboy, was I full and sore!). I didn't ask him before bed and he went to bed without nursing (sniff, sniff...first time in almost 2 years that he didn't have nummies before bed). He didn't ask to nurse today until 8:00 tonight. Wow, huh? I've been feeling like I need to wean, so this is perfect. I'll let him lead, but I will probably do some gentle guiding as well (like offering an alternative or even realizing when he's just bored and keeping him busy instead).

#530 ·
Yay Haeven!!!! Rachel it sounds like you have a good plan there. Christopher self-weaned at 16 months and started nursing again at 22 months. I plan on letting him self-wean again when he is ready. He is funny. He points at my breasts and says "baby milk". I love the phrases that kids come up with.

Christopher loves watching Blue's Clues, Bob The Builder, Zaboomafoo, and Baby Einstein. He also loves watching the NASCAR races with us.

#532 ·
Hey everyone

I've been MIA, had PC problems for a little while there... anyways...

We bought a little potty for Ursula and if she's naked, she'll poop and pee in it. If she has panties on, she can't take them off fast enough and she pees in them. If she has a diaper on, she'll take it off and go potty too. She hasn't peed overnight in months... she's been having bladder control for a while now. So, it looks like she might be potty-trained by the time she's 2... that would be nice
But, if not, that's cool too. I bring the potty in the living room too. That way its a reminder for her. But, its so cute seeing her get on it by herself and pooping or peeing
Love that!

Oh, her newest thing is to shrug her shoulders... LOL Favorite word is "NO!" and loves telling others to 'move!'... ha ha ha

Not anywhere near weaning... some nights, it seems she nurses all night... she also brings various toys to my breasts to nurse them, makes a smacking noise as well... from babies to trucks... lol

She's cutting her 2nd set of molars... her 5th and 6th molars are halfway through her gums at the bottom... 16 teeth are fully up right now already.

She's not really into TV... Sesame Streat holds her attention for a little while and Teletubbies a little bit.

Here's a link to a fairly recent photo of her: http://ursula.esmartkid.com/urs92404.jpg

#533 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brayg
Rynna...been following your thread over in politics...it's very interesting. Thanks for starting it--I've learned a lot just lurking over there.

Thanks!
I had no idea anyone was paying attention... it seems kind of slow and jerky to me, because people stop posting whenever I remind them that the point of the thread is not to be nasty.

Yay Haeven! BeanBean has had a few problems with that lately, but it doesn't seem to be his fault; for example, he had diarrhea not too long ago and there was a trail of poop all the way to the potty...
I've discovered that if he's wearing a diaper, he'll tell us before he needs to go because wearing a wet diaper is uncomfortable, but if he's wearing underpants, apparently it doesn't bother him if they're wet. He also needs to be wearing clothing that doesn't snap at the crotch, but that's really difficult because he's so skinny that pants fall right off of him for the most part. I bought an adorable pair of slacks at Gap last year on clearance thinking he'd be able to wear them this year, but even *with* a diaper (and he's not wearing one 90% of the time) they fall right off of him.
He's got a belt, but it doesn't fit in the loops of this pair of pants, which, ironically enough, appear to be only for decoration.

Rachel-- I don't think that would work for BeanBean; he'll come find me regardless of where I am, and I don't think I've offered him morning nursies... well, not since the night that BooBah didn't nurse (she slept through because she wasn't feeling well
). That's an interesting idea that he wants to nurse because his mouth itches... I never thoguht of that. I'll have to take him in. The thing is, as long as BooBah is on the antibiotics, fighting the thrush is something of a lost cause. I've always been fungus-prone.

I got some of BooBah's medical records yesterday, because she needs them for her appointment with the pediatric nephrologists at the closest children's hospital. (They specifically asked me to bring hard copies so that they can be assured that the records and the baby will be there at the same time). I read over them; apparently her (ureteral) reflux is so severe that it's likely to require surgery to correct. Mike and I are amazingly relaxed about that idea. We both feel that if that's all she needs, we'll be totally happy with it. :LOL Plus, if she *does* have the surgery, it means we'll be able to get off of the antibiotics afterwards.
I still think there's something else wrong, and I think I know what it is, but the nephrologist could tell me that it's out of the question, that she'll be fine once her ureters are reimplanted and everything will be fabulous...
raying:

My minivan is fixed! I was in a rental because they had to take apart my door and find out why it was locking itself. They found the problem-- apparently a bolt had been incorrectly tightened over some wires, and one wire was contacting another and shorting it.
: It wasn't in my head-- the door really did lock itself, and it totally wasn't my fault. Thank God for extended warrantees! I'm thrilled, because the rental is, quite frankly, not as nice as our van. It's much more cramped on the inside, and I had a hell of a time getting my niece's carseat in last night. Anyway, I'm going to take a few more minutes here and then get washed up and dressed to go.

#535 ·
hi mamas!! It has been forever since I've posted. I've had a really rough summer work-wise and now I think I'm back. I've been reading the updates off and on. A few new babies since I've been here regularly!!!

Erin is still nursing. Why do i feel like I need to post that at a MDC thread? Most of the babies are still nursing at 23 months. I am ready for her to be done and at the same time not quite ready yet..... She is telling us when she needs a clean diaper, "erin, diaper, clean diaper" but not telling us before. sigh. I figure it will happen as soon as we begin stuffing her into a snowsuit for winter right?

Kelty backpacks -- we have one and love love love it. We have one with lots of extra spots to stash stuff. Which comes in really handy for trips to places like the state fair or for airplane travel. I think we might actually use it for backpacking next weekend? We did use it for day hiking labor day weekend (not the first time)...it is fabulous. I bought it used on ebay for about 100 bucks. I've heard lots of good stuff about another brand, maybe the tough traveler? or something like that.

Hope you mamas are well. brayg your new website is great.

#536 ·
there's nothing like a short middle aged turkish man to put me in my place. i saw a doctor today, after i have had two friends basically yell at me about my being sick. i have pneumonia. it makes me mad that i need the title of the illness or any kind of conversation about seeing a doctor to really get my dh and some others like family to take notice, who i'm not going to go out of my way to call and report i'm so tired of lack of help. and even me. now i know i'm not just a depressed hypochondriac. the bitterness is just oozing out of me, or better yet, being coughed out of my lungs. i've been sick feeling wrong for 6 weeks and fighting it pretty well. hopefully when i don't feel like my head is going to explode i can forgive. but it makes me very scared. i know i didn't choose a beta male nurturing fella as a partner. i didn't know there was a place for that in the future. and i'm just not that self centered and assertive when it really counts.

sorry for the boohooing dears!

#538 ·
casina

boohoo all you want!! cry and rant and scream!! pneumonia sucks and I'm so sorry you don't feel well and feeling unsupported. Grrr I really wish i could go help out..... like rynna said, go get some rest mama, drink some nice hot herbal tea and just take care of yourself.

Kerc!!! So nice to see you here again mama. We've missed you.

Rynna I'm glad things are looking up for you and that you got your minivan back and your sanity confirmed :LOL Good Luck with BooBah's appointment.

#540 ·
Oh, casina, I am so sorry... I really do hope you get better soon. I know EXACTLY what you mean about no one really noticing when the mama is sick- stuff around the house still gets done, so who cares right? I was prescribed bed rest for 7 weeks and we didn't even have any kids at the time, but I still had to do the shopping, cooking, and most of the cleaning because DH is a lazy b@stard... He was basically telling me to have the baby early, even if he's a premie in the NICU, so he could get back to his usual routine!!!
: And when I have my three-day marathon migraine attacks and I'm asking for a little quiet time to get some sleep DH tells me "You're not sick, you just have a headache!" Grrrr!!!
So, I know how you feel. Of course when the men are sick, they're laying around moaning like they're on their death bed because they're so miserable and everything must be done for them... Ugh.

Make sure you keep that cough productive and get that yucky stuff out of there. And if you have to wait for your DH to get home to get in your car and drive to a park to take an uninterrupted nap, DO IT.

#541 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DecemberSun
I was prescribed bed rest for 7 weeks and we didn't even have any kids at the time, but I still had to do the shopping, cooking, and most of the cleaning because DH is a lazy b@stard... He was basically telling me to have the baby early, even if he's a premie in the NICU, so he could get back to his usual routine!!!
: And when I have my three-day marathon migraine attacks and I'm asking for a little quiet time to get some sleep DH tells me "You're not sick, you just have a headache!" Grrrr!!!
So, I know how you feel. Of course when the men are sick, they're laying around moaning like they're on their death bed because they're so miserable and everything must be done for them... Ugh.
Oooooooh, this makes me mad just reading about it! I'd have kicked him into next week! I was on bedrest with BeanBean for a while, and he and my best friend were barely willing to let me use the bathroom, to say nothing of grocery shopping and such.

I suppose I should count myself lucky that Mike's actually had a few migranes in his life. He knows how much they suck and he tries really hard to keep BeanBean quiet when I have them.

#542 ·
migranes....they are new to me in the last five years. before then i had no idea that a headache could make you vomit and want to die. So when my dh doesn't quite understand it makes it a bit more bearable for me.

#545 ·
eilonwy said:
Oooooooh, this makes me mad just reading about it! I'd have kicked him into next week!
me too! I was on bedrest for one week near the end of my pregnancy with Mariah. My mom came and got me each morning when dh left (we only had one car) and I spent the day on her couch. She didn't want me to get up to pee either :LOL She made me wear house shoes to walk to the bathroom because she was afraid that the vibrations from my foot hitting the floor would somehow cause me to go into labor :LOL

wow, that made me smile to remember that
things have been rocky between us since dd's birth....

#547 ·
thanks for the love and support mammas. it means so much to me. i'm better now, emotionally. of course it took me going a little insane and having it out with my dh today. i've been crying the past few days just convinced that he did not love me. it seems even a little ridiculous stating that. and i tortured myself with comparing how i took care of him when he was in bed for a year and what i should or could have done. and when i went to see the doctor i just kept thinking, i've been much worse off, this is so silly. just feeling a little smirk of satisfaction when the nurse shook her head at my 102.7 fever, like i need to be ill to shout that i exist? and two friends brought me meals yesterday and the day before and i just thought, i wish i had this so many other times and cried that they were so generous.

i'm just ill, and i've been depressed obviously for all this time. and any medicine makes me weird. and i'm such a feisty person i can't just lay down and take it, i still try to be all powerful and do too much. hopefully i can learn something from this????? when i feel a little better, of course..... i've also found out that i do not want to be alone even if it means a break from all three kids. it confuses me and i want all the physical love i can get. i'm still convinced that i should advise ruby that the right partner for her will be the one that can intuitively take care of her the way she wants when she is ill.

i guess this is just another chapter in the life of a smart, beautiful, charming mamma's life right? if i were truly mediocre i think i could just lay down, too dumb to worry or care. somehow i have to instruct myself to rest. it's weird.

#549 ·
elwynn and i have been in vancouver for the last 5 days. i got to spend some time with two of my girlfriends, both who are pregnant now! ellen is 5 months along and ellora is 4 and a half. ellen and i spent a lot of time talking and lying on my bed and i got to feel the baby move!! she is one of my cuddly friends.. when we were younger our group of friends would all sleep over and snuggle into the same bed..all 6 of us sometimes. we dont see eachother much anymore..everyone either has babies or is going to school..or working lots.. she and her partner live in olympia washington, but she is training to be a waldorf school art teacher so she is here teaching classes at the highschool in vancouver. its amazing to see my friends transformed! i loved being pregnant and its wonderful sharing my experiences of being a mother with such close friends. i just wish we didnt all live so far away.

elwynn learned how to say "i love mommy" and "i love milkies" while we were away too.. melt my heart!

i went out and saw two bands that i love on friday night. it was the first evening ive been out without elwynn in ages. it was really nice to have a break and really nice to get home and realise how much i missed him!

#551 ·
sending healing vibes your way Casina! It sucks to be sick!

As for migraines I suffered from them from the ages of 10-14. I would get to the point where I would be praying to throw up so the migraine would go away. As soon as I threw up, the migraine would disappear. DH suffers from migraines every now and then and he turns into a bear but I understand why. I try my best to keep the kiddos quiet when he has one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.