Yep, we're still here~Nov/Dec '02 mommas&babies~ - Page 22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#631 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
freezing! i can almost long for that. we have been indoors due to heat and now due to mosquitoes.

thanks for the hugs mammas. i'm so glad you are all here. i'm slowly wriggling out of this funk. yesterday i was reminding myself, wasn't it not too long ago that i was telling people i was working to WANT WHAT I HAVE. so now i've reminded myself what i'm working for again, pointing myself a direction at least.

nightweaning and pg. i would have been sad for some reasons if clay had weaned with ruby's pg, but it would have been the ideal time for it to happen in that i wouldn't have to feel it was my arbitrary decision. i guess i'm thinking in the big picture it was the most natural situation: drop in milk and probably change in taste, my irritation and change in focus. many kids wean at the time and i can't think of a better reason than for the mamma to prepare for next baby. then some kids nurse through it. right now thinking about it, i'm surprised that he did. the last month before ruby was born, he nursed once for five minutes to get to bed for the whole day. now he nurses more than ruby and he's almost four. it's like he's making up for his second year.

punk, it sounds to me like things are going well for you, from the long view of it anyway. i feel for you it is such an emotional time you are in.

so good to hear from so many of you mammas. anyone seen lilmiss around?

p.s. my perception of nursing includes that boys tend to be more attached to it as they are of mamma. girl babies seem to be more independent in general and possibly more efficient in nursing.

sorry so scatterbrained!
#632 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 09:11 AM

casina - glad to see you back.

no nightweaning here. can't explain it, but i just don't want to. even tho i am seriously sleep deprived and sometimes want to have my "munyas" removed in the morning. anyway, just isn't my thing i guess. YET. :LOL

anyone's girls entertained by their dp's penis'? my dd thinks my dh's penis is the most interesting thing. i think she's starting to understanding what it is as compared to her yoni. but it is funny to watch her reaction and what she does.

that's all i have time for. dd has been literaly nursing like a newboarn, attached all the time. so my time is limited, and i'm behind on evertyhing. SIGH

#633 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona
anyone's girls entertained by their dp's penis'? my dd thinks my dh's penis is the most interesting thing. i think she's starting to understanding what it is as compared to her yoni. but it is funny to watch her reaction and what she does.
No... but BeanBean spent some time trying to find mine recently. I keep telling him that that is mommy's vulva and it is not for him to play with, but he's convinced that there's a penis hiding in all the hair. Then he pointed to his scrotum and said "It's a vulva?" We had to work on that some more. :LOL He knows that BooBah has a vulva, but he doesn't understand why I don't have a penis and he doesn't have a vulva-- it's like he thinks everyone should have both, or that BooBah will grow bigger and get a penis, you know?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#634 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casina
p.s. my perception of nursing includes that boys tend to be more attached to it as they are of mamma. girl babies seem to be more independent in general and possibly more efficient in nursing.
Casina, I've often wondered about this, and more so since my daughter was born. When she wakes up, she wriggles, stretches, puts her thumb in her mouth and goes back to sleep unless there's something wrong (she's sick, her tummy hurts, she needs clean pants, etc). BeanBean has *never* done this. If he wakes up, he wants something; usually these days it's to pee and nurse. BooBah, at four months, is better at soothing herself than BeanBean was for the first 18-- and I've always considered him a fairly easy child!

I seriously wonder if BooBah will wean before BeanBean. He's so attached to his nursies. Case in point, this morning: I woke up early to vote, and I woke BeanBean before BooBah because I knew that he would absolutely need to nurse before we left, that it would not be worth my while to try to leave without nursing him. He used the potty, got dressed, and nursed for 15 mintues. During this time, BooBah woke up. She smiled, rolled over, and talked to me. When I finished with BeanBean I offered her the breast but she just wasn't interested; she giggled and took her thumb. She nursed around 5:30 am like she always does, and wasn't hungry so her thumb was better. She hasn't nursed again, and it's nearly nine thirty now.

#635 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casina
anyone seen lilmiss around?
I talked to her via PM about a month ago. She is doing great. They were getting ready to move out of the shelter and into their own apartment and she was hoping to have internet access at home in the next few months
#636 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 01:31 PM

Well, still no penny!! Two poops yesterday even. I'm giving him the rest of the day and then will call the dr tomorrow morning if I don't find it. I dread the thought....

Another traumatic day for him so far...we were at Target just now and Tyson fell out of the cart and smacked his head on the floor! He was in the back part of the cart and I must have moved it suddenly because he just flipped over the back. He screamed his head off and I picked him up and snuggled him for along time. It happened in a back corner of the store so thankfully no one came running, he jsut would have cried harder. He didn't want to nurse about it, just snuggled and we got out of there as soon as we could. Poor kid can't get a decent parent to look after him lately. I guess I just feel like he's a big boy in so many ways and I have let my guard down. Yeah, that'll change real quick.

DS loves to talk about his penis when I change his diaper. He names everyone in his life and asks if they have a penis. I set the record straight about who has a penis and who has a vulva. When he takes a shower with DH he gets a real kick out of that stream of water that flows off the end of his penis. I often hear DH saying something like, "No Tyson, we don't touch other people's privates, you may touch your own penis but not mine."

Ok, I wrote a book, gotta run. Ds just got his purse and said "I'm going to go vote!"
#637 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 01:38 PM

oh, wanted to mentin that it took a week for the dime to appear when she swalled that.

dd burned her hand on the burner today. so no parent of the day award for me today.
WAH!!!!
#638 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 04:11 PM

ming plays with money also but has never put it in her mouth, she called it "tootie" and puts it in her pocket or purse. took her to the library this morning for a storytelling thing. it was ok but not much to my liking, don't really know why yet but i didn't get a good feel. ming didn't seem to like it much either.
as far as the privates thing...yes ming tries to touch her dad's penis, he asks for it though. walking around naked. she calls his penis "boo boo". she hardly calles anything by it's real name, she has her own little language. no matter how much i tell her, i'd be like, "that's money, say money" she'd say " yeah mommy tootie"...ok whatever.
Darcelle
#639 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 04:16 PM

:LOL :LOL that was so funny what you wrote about the language thing.
dd is the same way. i KNOW she can say certain words, but just is set on her own verbage.
#640 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 04:34 PM

it's really weird eh. cuz sometimes i hear her say the right word but when i ask her what she said she goes back to her own stuff. oh well, i'm not worried about it.
#641 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

My DD is the *same* way! She calls boots, boogers...wil not say yes.....says "Maya" for Samaya, and uses maya for a lot of other words My DP really doesn't like it when she doesn't use the right word, and they will "argue":LOL, but I think it's cute! I know shes just a strong independant grrl, and will be a good talker once she wants to.
#642 of 647 Old 11-02-2004, 09:46 PM

The whole language thing is amazing to me. DS has a lot of his own words for things but I am sad to say some of them are disappearing. He used to call his drink/cup "go-go" but now he says drink or cup or water. About the only one he says anymore is the one for stroller which I couldn't begin to spell. DH uses DS' own words, I tend to repeat the correct one. I guess that's why they are disappearing.

Ooops, DH is getting him out of the tub. Jammie time.
#643 of 647 Old 11-03-2004, 01:29 AM

elwynn is pretty good with words but he does have his own too.. he says "goh gosh" for all gone and "hide" when he wants the other boob. he started to call nursing boob.. he is nursing a lot these days and is really really whiny and very attached to me. ive been pretty busy painting for the last few weeks and i think he's feeling upset about it, but im still right there! i just dont want him in the room with paint fumes. i think his dad feels upset because i have had a friend staying with me and elwynn seems to get along with him better.. but i think its because my friend just gives elwynn anything he wants?! im not sure. i hope that they figure it out with eacother so no one feels bad for too long. do any of your little ones prefer you over your DP? is it normal and are your littles teething right now? i get the feeling that the whininess is due to pain in the mouth. its my best guess anyways. potty training is going very well. he's had dry pants for two days with only 2 tiny leeks and we made it to the potty to finnish up. im so proud!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#644 of 647 Old 11-03-2004, 06:38 AM

mamafern, sometimes some people just get along better than others, and kids have a special instinct for those people that are open and nonjudgmental and respectful. and of course ones that will do anything for them. and yes, this crosses family lines since we are such individuals in this society. if your dp has any fears about being a dad, i would imagine that elwynn can sense it. and no, there's not much you can do about it. it is their relationship. even in my very bonded marriage i have had to learn to step away from the politics between the kids and dad. i have to trust that he is daddy and and they all do what happens. otherwise is it just meddling where everyone just gets mad at me. now on the other hand, my best friend has done very well with her ex and her dds - she has facilitated their relationship by making sure that they have access and freedom with each other, to the point where he is a better dad than we expected. but still, how he interacts with them personally is beyond her control (yes, even when he talks bad about her, which is starting to only make him look bad), and kids are smart enough to know that it is separate from mamma if she is not in the thick of the problem.
maybe you can find a way to ventilate the paint fumes. maybe a fan pointing out a window? or possibly he would find a mask amusing. if he is tolerating being around you while you do any kind of work, i strongly recommend you facilitate this very special boon so that you can reap the rewards. i sure wish i had and this is one of my biggest struggles - learning to be me and mamma at the same time.

mona, unfortunately, this is how kids (and adults!) learn that stoves can be dangerous simply by the consequences. i have found that i have an easier time with this since i started having a gas stove (obvious flame). hope you don't feel too bad about it otherwise. it definitely does not reflect on your parenting! these kinds of things happen to many of us mammas.

and bethkm, same for you on the fall! i'm sure you are more than a decent parent and accidents happen. we cannot protect them from everything, and we should not or nothing exciting would ever happen. uhoh, i might be quoting finding nemo. when i was in new orleans for a wedding ruby slipped on the wrought iron chairs and had a big goose egg on her head. she tends to howl more because she's mad that it happenned rather than the actual pain. i did feel bad but not enough to leave and had to remind myself that a big bump on the outside was better than a concussion on the inside. i think it is our reactions that count at this point - showing that we love them is more important than feeling fearful and angry, though that has it's use as well.

sorry gals, i know that ruby might be a little less frustrated when she can talk, but i'm just enjoying her lack of command. i do love hearing her little voice and her wonderful words and singing, but my atmosphere is filled with verbage already. being able to talk does not mean that they know what they want, and her lack of talking keeps me from trying to reason with this itty bitty child.
i have little pieces of modeling clay and playdoh everywhere now but no more water and food slurries and potions from her. it's a compromise. i've given up on the drawing for now. i'm just so thrilled i have a child that draws at all. this also means i am tattoed with marker and pen. i've been rubyfied!
#645 of 647 Old 11-03-2004, 02:38 PM

I totally agree Casina. We can't protect them from everything and I feel Tyson has learned some valuable lessons by experimenting and sometimes getting hurt.

Well, the penny saga continues. We are going for an abdominal x-ray after his nap this afternoon. I'm dreading it because he is so scared in any new situation. I'm worried that the penny is in there and they'll have to go get it, but I'm also worried that it's not in there and he never really swallowed it and this is all for nothing. DH was alone with him when it happened and now he is second guessing himself. I guess there's only one way to find out....
#646 of 647 Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM

well, i went back to bed with this feeling of peace and how we all just need total acceptance. especially me towards my kids and here i am feeling sour having broken some of my rules. i have already threatened daycare and school and even implied than females may be better than males which is a first. ugh. now i have the rest of the day to forgive myself and get out of this funk and learn to be in the now. it just gets so hard sometimes to be this mamma that i intellectually know i can be and am able to be sometimes, when i wake up acting like my own mom. it is partially my fault for allowing them some of halloween and the sugary wrecks they are and them staying up til midnight the past few nights and still popping up early. they do not have the discipline to understand those consequences and i will just have to learn to have the discipline for them and find the adult in me. bleah!
#647 of 647 Old 11-03-2004, 05:24 PM

I get a kick out of it when BeanBean talks. I especially enjoy it when he freaks people out, but I work extra hard not to make a big deal about it. Sometimes he doesn't want to talk to people, and sometimes he does; I don't push him either way. I'm confident that he'll let me know if he needs something, and I don't feel like his speech (or lack thereof) is any comment on my parenting or anything I've done, so it's just not a big deal to me. It's fun, but it's not what I think of when I think of my son, you know?

We're having a birthday party for him on Saturday. A small gathering of friends and family, celebrating the fact that I became a mother, and that I've made it two years without any major issues despite the horrors of the pregnancy, labor and delivery of BeanBean. Yes, I'm the first to admit that this party is for me. I expect to hear about all the things I've done right for the past two years, and to bask in the reflected glow of his brilliant Babyness, soon to be lost forever as my BeanBean evolves further into a Little Boy.

I think it may be time for a new thread, don't you?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page