Yep, we're still here~Nov/Dec '02 mommas&babies~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 647 Old 07-30-2004, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi mamas. i'm still here... :
erin has taken to eating crayons. I'm kinda bummed because, well, I don't want to tell her 90 times a day no crayon eating. So off to the shelf they go for a bit. Any ideas on why? Is she missing a nutrient? Is she curious? Is she almost 2? yeah. probably all that.

speaking of eating. we are dipping like crazy. Did you know that if you dip your snap peas in the milk they taste good? Did you know that if you want your toddler to eat snap peas you teach them to dip them in the milk you have already poured by pretending to dip and eat?

Erin's had a rough couple of nights sleeping. She was really in a groove and well, something's up. All my IRL friends' kids are funky sleeping now too. This too shall pass and domestic bliss will return. Sigh.

Littlemiss -- best of luck with the housing/job business. That kind of stuff is so hard to deal with.

Mamas with new babies --- hug them extra for me. I'm wanting a baby but not wanting the first six months. I think I'm wired for toddler/preschool age kiddos. I love to drool over other peoples babies. I'm just pleased as can be with my family right now though

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 647 Old 07-30-2004, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ava has suddenly upset her sleeping rythem. I htik ther is somehting up with these near two year olds.

Funny that erin is so into eating crayons. Is she dipping them in something first Its a 2 year old thing. the must be tasty.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#123 of 647 Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 PM

Almost my entire family has been diagnosed with some form of depression, or Bipolar Disorder. I was pretty depressed, and I took meds for a few years, before I had Zachary. I was so afraid I'd be thrown into this huge hole of PPD after his birth, but I actually felt better than I'd ever felt in my entire life. YK- aweing over the sheer miracle of growng a child inside you, staring at your perfect new born, enjoying your newly created family. I attribute the change in attitude a lot to breastfeeding. I think the release of those feel-good hormones must have "knocked something loose", so to speak, so it all works correctly now. All those seretonin releasing and absorbing cells are working at full force. Breastfeeding has been the best thing I've ever done for myself!

I also agree that you can do A LOT to improve your mood, memory, energy, and general brain function by avoiding certain trigger foods, and doing a good herbal cleansing every now and then. It can't fix every problem if a person does indeed have a chemical imbalance, but it does a lot for those that just have some blockages throughout their bodies.

Zachary finally slept better last night- he has been sleeping horribly since we got home from vacation. He's re-coop'ing from a cold. Now his asthma is flaring up. He has recently decided that he doesn't want to take a nap during the day , so between 3pm-5pm he is a terror. He might finally pass out at 3:30 or 4, but if he doesn't he gets a second wind and has a huge surge of energy. It's too funny watching him fight sleep. It's like he's drunk or something- swaying while he walks, talking jibberish, with red, bleary eyes.

About dipping- my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If we're eating anything that has a dip, salsa, cheese, etc. with it, the kids HAVE to dip. Their faves are potato chips and dip, or veggies and ranch. It's really funny when they try to do it themselves, and they get ranch on their entire hand, and then they wipe their eye or something and they get it all over! I always ask them "Do you want some veggies with your ranch?" because they like to dip-lick-redip-lick...

Crystal turned 8 yesterday! I can't believe she's a little lady now- I still think of her as a baby . We're having a party this weekend at Grammy and Pappaw's where the kids can play and swim with the cousins. We're making a bunch of cupcakes and letting the kids decorate them themselves. Should be interesting!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#124 of 647 Old 07-30-2004, 02:44 PM

Mona- Yeah the convention was exciting but I am exhausted now! I need another 4 days to recooperate. Funny how my life has changed all of my friends and co-workers were off the fabulous star studded parties every night and I just didn't have it in me. No matter what time I go to bed I still get that 7 am wake up call! Actually the last few days it has been 5:30 : I think since I wasn't around at bedtime that when she woke up at 5:30 (which is usually just nursing and back to sleep) and saw me it was 'yeah playtime mommies back'

Another change I noticed since becoming a mother was that I was really moved when Chris Heinz was introducing his mother. I was so weepy as he talked about what a great mom she was to him.

We are off to the beach for the weekend to reconnect and play in the sand!

Amy
#125 of 647 Old 07-30-2004, 04:47 PM

Casina I guess you could say I am getting close. I am sitting at 35 weeks and 1 day and the baby dropped at 34 weeks. I don't know what labor is like though. I know all of you are thinking "How could she not know what labor is like?" I had pre-eclampsia, they induced me, gave me magnesium sulfate, which in turn gave me a horrendous sinus headache, so the nurses gave me stadol which in turn knocked me out. I remember just a little of the first dose wearing off, still having the headache and getting a second dose. I also had an epidural. All I remember is waking up the next morning and the nurse telling me that I was complete so I could start pushing. I slept through my labor. I am hoping that this time I will go into labor naturally. So far no Gestational Diabetes and my blood pressure is relatively low. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I don't want Pre-Eclampsia again. My doctor told me that if it shows up again that they will do a C-section this time.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#126 of 647 Old 07-31-2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mamajaza*
I'm getting a real taste of being a mother of two now. My babies daddy left yesterday, back for his home, and he was helping me out a lot.
Sending you lots of love!!
Hang in there.
#127 of 647 Old 08-01-2004, 01:21 AM

kerc, your post was delightful. eilonwy, i've been thinking about how much i admire your strength in dealing with bipolar and how impressed that you know your limits enought to handle it.

heather, i'm sending happy labor vibes. keep eating healthy.

i've got the suddenly feisty to go to bed syndrome as well. it started this week. along with: more than an hour nap is a mistake.

i've been reading a book from an anthropological/evolutionary perspective called the descent of the child by elaine morgan.

i did it. i cut a doorway today between my "dining room" and the "master bedroom" which is just a big mess of kids stuff and my sewing space - the workshop. now they can run some circles, there is more light, and my home seems bigger. what this also means is that now we technically have only one bedroom in my house, and that cosleeping is here to stay.

discussions concerning my employment have ceased for the time being. meanwhile i've got a 6 yr old birthday party to get my home in shape for in two weeks? i guess i need to set a date and get that going.
#128 of 647 Old 08-01-2004, 01:14 PM

nak

wise mamas- what is the best way to remove ink from clothes?

#129 of 647 Old 08-01-2004, 01:20 PM

We have a 6 month old baby boy! Well, for two weeks anyway. He seems to have adjusted to being here very well. He fussed every 20 minutes or so until 1am the first night, but has slept well since then. The babies love him. They're constantly kissing him and patting his head! I have to be careful though because when they bend down to kiss him they lay their hand on his chest and put their whole weight on him. They have only been a tiny bit jealous of him- trying to climb into the swing and infant seat that I brought out of hiding since thier days of babyhood. Zach doesn't seem to mind me holding Jose and feeding him a bottle. He just pats him and repeats "baby, baby" over and over again. This gives me hope for when we have another one of our own. Although DH doesnt think we'd give J. and Z. enough attention if we had a newborn around, so we're still waiting...

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#130 of 647 Old 08-01-2004, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona
nak

wise mamas- what is the best way to remove ink from clothes?

that depends on the kind of ink and the kind of clothing (fabic/color).

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#131 of 647 Old 08-01-2004, 09:42 PM

DecemberSun I am glad to hear that everything is going well with the new addition. I was worried about how my son would take to a new baby but so far things look good. Everytime he sees a baby sitting in a bucket, he will walk up to the baby and lightly stroke their legs and feet and say "Baby". I don't have any good tips for getting ink out of fabric.

#132 of 647 Old 08-02-2004, 05:52 PM

Hey mamas, I just spent the morning with punkprincessmama and her dd and dh. What a lovely family they are. I took some pics which I'll post when I get them transferred from the camera. It was a sweet morning with our dcs 'playing' together. Mariah would gather little rocks for Mukti who would say "yakoo mama" each time she handed him one and then he would toss them and ask for more and then Mariah would find some more and the process began anew. Punk's dh is a real sweetie, a gentle caring papa, supportive dh and an all-round nice guy and Mariah is a delicate flower. Punk, herself, is one hip mama with great dreads and a lovely smile. We talked about all y'all, she wanted to know if Heather was still , how Casina was doing. We admired *mamjaza*'s UC and I filled her in on DecemberSun's latest addition. It was a lovely morning.

And I thought y'all would like this pic from the chicken pox week.
#133 of 647 Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 PM

Rose, your son is just beautiful. There are no to ways about it! I'm glad you got to meet a fellow MDC mama IRL! That's so fun, isn't it? I wish I could meet all of you in person... I feel like I know you all pretty well now!

Well, I spoke too soon about everything going well with the new baby. Last night he pretty much cried all night long and I didn't get much sleep. Today he wasn't much better. DH is gone taking the baby to visit his birth mother (black hair, red and black eye make-up, 15 yrs. old or so...) and he supposedly gets all whipped up after a visit with her- not sleeping well, not eating well, generally off kilter. I'm hoping and praying that he'll just get worn out and sleep nicely tonight. Zach has been very understanding it seems, but his patience for sharing his mama is wearing thin. It's going to be a long two weeks...

See if you can guess what these words mean in "Zach language". His pronunciation is still horrible on these few words, but he has over 90 words in his vocabulary, and he's FINALLY starting to put two and three word sentences together!

fowoh..........fire
beenbah..........rainbow
bopt..........rock
dun..........drum
boopt..........book
tuddy..........tubby (as in bathtub)
faffle..........puzzle
ming..........swing
neen..........drink
pappoh..........apple
mone..........milk
bobey..........berry
totch..........squash

DH got some really great pictures of the kids swimming yesreday at Crystal's b-day party, so as soon as he downloads them I'll post them here!

#134 of 647 Old 08-02-2004, 09:11 PM

Rose-- is your son's name Blessing? (Or am I missing something? ) Eli's first name is actually blessing-- it's Baruch. We gave him the Baruch because he got off to a bumpy start in life; right now, I'm looking for a name to give BooBah, too, to help her on her path since it's kind of bumpy too.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#135 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

That's awesome, solsticemama, that you got to meet one of our fellow nov/dec 02 moms.. we're a pretty small group.
All I could think when I read about how cutely your babies were playing, was, "it sure wouldn't be like that if my DD was there". She would probably be *throwing* the rocks.:

Today, fern took out a wooden train for elwynn to play with, and haeven took it and really whacked him with it. Oh, god. I hate that so much. I really think she wants attention (MORE)... but I do as much as I possibly can with her. There is always *someone* watching her. We live in a pretty busy house.

Raising children is definately a BIG job. No slackers allowed.

Does anyone know the definition of "spirited child"? I wonder if that is what she is, because she really thrives when we go out "on the town".

Decembersun~ I feel for you! a infant/toddler mix is really hard.
#136 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 05:34 AM

rubbing alcohol for ink. not exact but i think isopropyl works better than ethyl? keep on rubbing it in with the offended garment on a flat surface, you need more than you think since the alcohol will evaporate. this was something i learned on a job when i was pregnant with clay.

i'm not getting notified lately.

zach language looks normal to me.

rose, i'm glad i got to see a picture of you. though i'm not sure why. i guess it's the kinds of stimulus my body needs for things to be real. whereabouts are you and punkprincess anyway?

spirited..... mamajaza, i recommend you have a ten minute ritual everyday where you are alone with haeven not nursing, doing something mild like a walk or just sitting together, concentrating on her, even in your thoughts, just being there with her and soaking in her loveliness.

love you guys
casina
#137 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 11:45 AM

Solticemomma and everyone else. I am still pregnant. I am currently 35 weeks and 5 days. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and she said everything looks great. The baby has definitely dropped and is head down. She said my BP is low and Urine is clear. No spilled sugar or proteins. Now I am just waiting.

Christopher is starting to count. Both DH and I make sure we count as we read books with him. My friend was watching him yesterday when I was at the doctor's office and she told me that he could say 1, 2 ... and then he would get stuck so she helped him with 3, 4, and 5. She said that her son was fascinated by the way he was counting. Owen will be 16 months on the 10th. They had fun playing together. Christopher threw a big fit as we were leaving. Cindy promised him that he could come back especially since I now have to go to the doctor once a week. I think Christopher will like that.

#138 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 04:53 PM

DecemberSun, thanks. You know oftentimes I look at ds and think, I am looking at the most beautiful being on the planet . As the cp progressed something interesting occurred--the spots got redder and more dramatic and ds became softer and filled with light is the only way I can describe it. His mouth loosened, his gaze gentled even more. I imagine it was the alchemy of the illness but it was fascinating to watch.

MamaJ this morning I was thinking that even tho it's hard right now your dd's predisposition will probably serve her well in the years to come. She sounds assertive and strong, good qualities for a woman to have, tho not always appreciated by society as a whole.

Both Punkprincessmama and I envisioned all of us Nov/Dec. moms getting together at some point for a gathering of sorts.

This morning ds was eating breakfast with us and, like all your dcs, he likes to dip his food. I had spread some flax oil on bread for him and dh was having a hot and spicy mustard with his eggs which ds wanted. So we gave him some and he would dip his bread into it, look up with mild discomfort and say "help" before drinking his rice milk to cool his mouth off and then beginning the whole process again :LOL

Rynna, you pose an interestingly intuitive question. As you know, one of the next traditional words after Baruch is Hashem. The etymology of Shem includes the words 'name', 'sound' and 'vibration'. One of the meanings of one of ds's names is 'to hear the divine inner Sound' So while his actual name is not 'blessing' there is a strong association and link with the word itself. Btw the title of the pic 'blessing mudra' has to do with his hand movement. Mudra is a sanscrit word for divine hand movement and the particular position his was in at the time, which I didn't realize till after the pic was taken, is the 'blessing' hand movement or mudra.

Mona, where are U?
#139 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 06:13 PM

Can I show off my babies? pictures

Some of them are a few months old, but there are a few from our vacation in WA, and the swimming ones are from last weekend. The last picture is of our "temporary baby", Jose.

#140 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I added some pics to my sig

Decembersun~nice to have a face to the name now! And you too, solsticemama. Beautiful mamas!
#141 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 06:49 PM

DecemberSun and Solsticemomma you have beautiful babes! It is nice to put names to faces.

#142 of 647 Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM

:LOL i addes two new pictures too. they are the last two on the site. i will add some from our florida trip sometime soon i hope.

i am always oohhhh'ing and ahhhh'ing at our babies pictures. so sweet and beautiful.

let's see...where to begin....

language development- this is definetly the area where dd is the slowest in her development. she is talking now more, and reading aloud to herself or others, but the language is not discernable by most. she does use some words that make sense- shoes, ball, ect. other times she leaves off the beginning or end of the word- cat is "at" or "dat". i just try to affirm that she is indeed talking out loud, and be supportive of her. and repeat words that i know she comprehends. her comprehension is actually quite incredible. but for whatever reason the language is just not there yet. which is fine, bc if she is anything like her papa, she will talk non stop once she begins. :LOL of course part of the issue may be that i am not listening closely enough to discern the words dd is using- i have a hearing loss, so sometimes that makes it a bit harder.

food- dd is still getting most of her nutrients from nursing. i'd say.... 80-90%, depending on the day. she had a great dinner tonight, but that is unusual. she will have one really good meal every few days. in b/w those times, she just takes bites here and there. the foods she likes changes from day to day, although there are a few constant favorites (olives, sauerkraut, carrots, avacado).
does anyone give their dc a supplement? i know her iron is a bit low (from a wic test), so i've been thinking about it. in the mean time, i'm trying to be more dilligent about taking a multi vit. myself.

clingy ratings have been sky rocketing around here. i can leave dd w/ papa for 30 minutes, and by the end of that she is sobbing. sometimes a video will distract her for awhile, but she often sniffles while watching the video. this makes it very hard for me to take the much needed mama time, but i'm trying to do a bit every day regardless. and the nursing, what she calls "mon-yahs", is pretty constant too, and it's not a hunger thing bc she often stops before anything starts. i'm fine w/ it all, actually, except when i hear her sobbing accross the house. who ever said it recently, dec sun maybe?, that nursing was the best thing they have ever done- i totally agree. no matter how many times dd wants her monyahs, i am always awed by her sweet mouth suckling at my nipple, w/ my arms wrapped around her soft body. nursing is truly a gift from the goddess.

lastly- a tribal mdc mama gathering would be so wonderful. glad sm and punk got to do this together. how neat!!

brain cells running thin, must go.

love to all-
lisa
#143 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Haeven's not doing too much talking yet, but you know what, I heard that einstein didn't talk to he was 3, so I'm not pushing her. Maybe she'll be the female einstein.

solsticemama~thank-you for reminding me that I have a strong-spirited little grrl, and that this stage shall pass. She'll definately be kicking some a$$ when she "grows up". I hope she gets along with her sister, and they take over the world together.:LOL
#144 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 01:55 AM

just when i thought i would have some peace and quiet! i have been adopted by this kitten. he appreared in my house a week ago and is not leaving. i named him finnagin. he's sweet but very attention deprved! anyways..its been a long time since ive been able to keep up with this forum thing-but i got a computer finally! its nice to see that you mommas are still talking. our babies are growing up so fast! elwynn is using his potty lots now and talking talking talking. the other day he got mad because i cleaned off his little chair where he eats and it was a bit damp and he said "its WET!" and wouldnt eat till i dried it off..hehe.he also LOVEs books and always has one in his hand and his new thing is nursing and reading at the same time. he props the book on my boob and reads to his hearts content.sigh.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#145 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 03:08 AM

hey mammas. i'm tired but well. my house is starting to take shape with my efforts. i'm loving all the pictures they are giving me goosebumps. i have no experiences with dipping and very little talking here with ruby though her understanding and awareness i continue to find incredible. mamafern i'm glad you are here. mamajaza, spirited kids are here to teach us. they got it from somewhere. and you are in transition having two children. i said something the other day to a newish acquaintance that helps me define things from time to time. i believe in the role of the parent what i can definitely and actually control with guaranteed positive outcome is making sure that my children feel loved, and having good food available. everything else is lagniappe.

having two kids is a rich life in a different way that most mothers i know comment on the difficulty of the new shift for us adults. suddenly i was protecting the newborn, the one i wondered if i would be able to love after soaking everything into the first. wow, it comes easily, and alarming since the firstborn suddenly seems large and troublesome. biologically i could not help but feel the pull to protect the littlest, even when i had declared publicly that i would do my best to treat the first the same since the new one had no idea what he was born into. it takes time to adjust for all (though much faster for the kids), and for me the best thing was to just accept further loss of control over little things. this is also when i realized that taking care of myself physically and emotionally was more of a priority than before. i can muddle through any situation with my family if i am healthy and somewhat sane. but if i was down it tended to be hard no matter how great everyone else was.

sorry so rambly, i need to take my own advice and go back to sleep.
p.s. my camera has been inoperable for awhile now. maybe now that i've mentioned it publicly i will go get it fixed.
#146 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 AM

Hi mamas! I'm still here--doing more reading than commenting. Love all the pics! Have one here of my own that I just love. Took it on Monday. Just a week earlier, for some reason, Owen seemed to dislike his big brother. It was rather hellish around here because of it too. He would walk up and hit Jacob for no reason and just completely avoid him. I'm glad that's over.
#147 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 10:48 AM

Still hitting

I thought we were done with the hitting/scratching/pullinghair/biting becasue we had a few good days but clearly we are not done yet. I feel so terrible about it and I know my anxiety is affecting Georgia. Now she is hiting and scratching one particular kid at daycare. His mother is not happy (I am sure I would feel the same way if my kid was on the receiving end) I just thought all of this attachment parenting would lead to a happy well behaved child. I am at my wits end. We had a well baby check up yesterday and our doc suggested that since GA is so advanced verbally (she speaks in sentences and understands everything) that she might respond to some kind of reward system ie when she has a good day at dc or a good playdate she gets a sticker. He said don't tell her ahead b/c that will casue more anxiety in her just reward the good days. What do you experienced momma's think of this? I am going to try to limit the playdates to one on one instead of playgroups for a while. Nothing I can do about daycare but there are only usually 3-4 kids there total.

Another stupid worry. GA has really small feet she wears a size 4 now at 19 months. I also feel like she trips and falls a lot.

DH is away this whole week at a class! This is the first time he has been gone since she was born. I can't even say it is the first time I am alone with her b/c my sister is living with us and she is a big help with the house work. This morning I gave GA the first bath I have ever given her. That has always been his thing. In some ways I am so jealous he gets this week 'off' although I know I am not ready to leave her overnight I could really use the break.

Amy
#148 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM

abranger- i only have a sec. my dd still wears a size 4 too. actually, she can still wear a size 3. :LOL

#149 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 AM

thanks mona-

GA actually is wearing size 2-3 teva's still although they are a little small. She is 95% for weight and 50% for height. Weird!
#150 of 647 Old 08-04-2004, 12:30 PM

Re: Nutrition

Zachary gets pretty much ALL of his nutrition from real food. We're a grazing family, and the kids are pretty much picking at fruit and cereal all day. We have one big breakfast as soon as they get up, then they play, take a nap, and we have one more big meal around 3-ish or so, as soon as they get up. Dinnertime is usually just for DH and I, although we've had beggars hunkering over us more often while we eat as they get bigger! We call them "the vultures" because it never fails- as soon as we're eating something, we have scavengers . The "bobby" is pretty much only for comfort now for Zachary. He switches from side to side over and over and OVER again, I think because I'm not making very much milk and he quickly empties one breast and goes on to the next.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you, Mona, that I've heard that lots of AP babies don't eat a substantial amount of solid foods until after 2. Just keep taking your prenatal vitamin while you're nursing!

About hitting: Zach and Julianna hit each other all the time. I don't do anything about it unless one of them is ganging up on the other one a little too harshly. Usually they can stick up for themselves and it works itself out. Don't have any advice, only wanted to let you know that it's normal (I think!).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page