exposure to strep - anything I can do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-09-2004, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, my 19 1/2 month old son was exposed to someone who had strep - this someone (his friend, 17 month old) wasn't showing any symptoms yet - but he'd been exposed to a contagious 1 year old 4 days earlier. This morning the 17 month old was taken to the ER and it was confirmed that he has strep. I was told there isn't anything we can do - that it's practically a given that within 3 - 4 days, my son will have it too.

Isn't there anything I can do???
Thanks
Amy

(I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm posting it in the health forum, too. If any mod wants to delete it from one or the other forum, please feel free...)

edited to correct my grammatical faux-pas
#2 of 7 Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 PM

I don't know, but you could maybe give him something to boost his immune system? Maybe some extra vit. C (crush a vit. C chewable tablet, and put it in his drink)? We haven't had to deal w/ this yet, and I hope your little one doesn'thave to
#3 of 7 Old 08-09-2004, 05:48 PM

A few weeks ago, my 6 year old and 2 yo nephew were visiting us for the weekend. They got here on Friday. The kids played like crazy, rolling all over each other having just a great time. That night 6yo came down with a fever of 103. He still had the fever the next day, so BIL took him to urgent care. He tested + for strep. That night his fever went up to 105! Anyway, BIL asked the dr. what to do because dd (2 1/2) and ds (5 weeks at the time) had been exposed. The dr. said they typically don't worry about transmission to children under 4. I thought that was weird and we did lots of handwashing and not touching for the rest of their visit. Neither of my children or his little brother got strep. 6yo had a really bad case of strep back in June and his little brother didn't get it then either. Hopefully your ds won't get it.
#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2004, 09:03 PM

Our Dr also said that it is very uncommon in little children but they said under two. They (DRs) and the nurses also kept insisting this when my dd tested positive for it five time in the last school year my dd is only 22 months now. It was the mildest of all her infections though. Don't get too worried just try for lots of fluids and rest hard to do I know.

Good Luck
Erin
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 PM

I believe its always a good idea to use a childrens echinacea formula to boost immunity during/after exposure and also periodically throughout the year to keep the immunity up. A good organic forumla is good tasting especially mixed with some honey or mollasses...dr shulzes forumlae for kids is in a syrup and is very yummy tasting...dd loves taking her echinacea and she has had a few colds (winter detoxes) and thats it, good luck with your little one.

dust.gif
#6 of 7 Old 08-10-2004, 01:11 PM

Whoever told you that was wrong. It isn't a given that he will be sick, too. He may "have" it, but at any given time about 40% of the general population has strep in their system. It's very very common and almost impossible to keep totally away from it. But, not everyone who has strep gets sick. The body does a pretty good job of fighting it off, obviously, or else we'd be sick with strep throat (and worse) *all* the time. I think boosting his immune system and getting extra rest is a good move in a case like this, and probably good idea anyway, of course.

And if he gets a sore throat, take him in right away for a culture test and treat it if need be. Don't believe all the hype about not having to worry about strep infections in young children. That is also not true.
#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2004, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Eli woke up with a fever of 102 at 4:30 a.m. - we're on our way to the Dr.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page