Mothering Forum banner

Pre-school prep: backpacks and slippers??

720 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Clarity 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Any ideas on where to find nice slippers or soft-soled shoes for my preschool-bound toddler? My son has big feet for his age -- he'll be three next month and wears size (gasp) 11. I don't think Robeez will fit. I don't want his feet to get too hot either, so regular winter-type slippers won't really work.

Also, has anyone found a nice, small backpack that isn't made of plastic, and doesn't have cartoon characters on it?

TIA for any suggestions.

~Scout

#2 ·
Can't help you with slippers but I had a heck of a time finding a non-plastic, junior sized back pack. The best one I found and ended up buying was this one from landsend. It is nylon/polyester which was not my first choice either but it was the best one I could find. I really wanted a rolling one because heavy backpacks can do a lot of damage to young spines but then I figured-what's he really going carry in it anyway? A few snacks, a change of clothes and some toys.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...03372642177530

#3 ·
I found small sized backpacks at target and marshalls. (and rolling ones at marshalls.) Slippers, I like elefanten, but they're pricey. I also have robeez and daisy roots leather slippers in larger sizes. Chinese black cloth slippers would be an inexpensive choice. I just bought shoes at zappos.com, I might check there for slipper ideas. Old navy and children's place have slippers in winter, I don't know if they'll be out yet.

#4 ·
Clarity-

Where do you live? The target here in South. Mass is really small and they had no junior backpacks that weren't Barbie, Dora, SpongeBob or Bob the Builder!!
: the regular back packs were just too big. Maybe I'll try Marshalls tho. I hadn't thought of them. I'd prefer a roller and LandsEnds takes returns no matter what....

#5 ·
ours is shaped like a generic frog...it was left over from the summer stuff. (they had bug collecting kits, bean bag chairs, folding lawn chairs.etc.) It's between the camping stuff and the sports stuff in our target. I have one other bag, it's a small day pack that attaches to my tough traveler baby backpack. I think they sell it separately at the tough traveler web site. Also try drug stores...they sometimes have small backpacks with no characters. For preschool she's not really carrying anything heavy so I thought a cheap one would be fine.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Great suggestions -- thank you! I went ahead and ordered a Land's End backpack, but now I wish I'd ordered the one from LL Bean!! Those packs are so cute, and so affordable! I may go ahead and get it and return the other one.

I really like the Hanna Andersson mocassins, too.

Thanks again!

~Scout

#9 ·
For those with smaller toddlers: we bought a small backpack for our then 13 mo ds when he started walking. It's made by Mammut, a Swiss mountaineering company. Our ds loves the little Mamut stuffed animal that clips to the shoulder strap and the whistle built into the breast strap clip. I'm not sure where to get one here in the US, but we can't recommend it enough! DS loves to carry it around. We put his basics in there, such as a couple diapers, wipes, snacks and sippy cup. Now that he's walking, he's carrying his own supplies (which makes it easier on us!).

#11 ·
I was going to suggest the kelty one. We have the one that came with our back pack and the bottom unzipps to expand it. we have a slightly bigger version than what cam eon most of thier backpacks and it works well for our 4 year old and our 8 year old. and we havehad it for 7 years and it is still in perfect condition.

As for slippers my MIL knitted some great ones for my dd out of cotton yarn. they are light and breathable. And they love them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.