Mothering Forum banner

super posessive 2 yr old

405 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  OTMomma 
#1 ·
I am a stay at home mother of 2 (Frankie 2yrs. & Celia 4mos.)
I am having major problems with my 2 year old. He cannnot get along with other children. When other kids come over to our house he immediately panics. He hoards his toys, and screams and cries uncontrollably if they touch anything! I have tried everything I can think of to get him to share, and get along, but with no luck at all. I have tried completely ignoring his tantrums, I have tried postive reinforcement when he isn't screaming, removing him the situation, removing the toy fom the situation, removing the toys that he is more attached to or sensative about prior to having other chidren come over, even 123 Magic timing him out, and Fast Food rule. His tantrums will not die down on their own, when we have tried ignoring them all together, he will just keep screaming and crying nonstop for hours. i am at a total loss here!! we only have one car that my husband taes to work everyday so i feel totally isolated because we can't have anyone over to play.
I would be very grateful for ANY ideas or suggestions!!!

#2 ·
I have no good clue what to do about your 2yo. but I do have an idea for you. How about having a play date for Celia and you? If you have a friend with another small baby come over that might not be so threatening to Frankie- and you would get to socialize? That way his toys and personal space wouldn't be threatened so much and he might get used to visitors.
Also, do you have a park nearby? Frankie might do better learning to socailize in "neutral" territory. If you can walk both kids to the park and meet friends there Frankie would not have his toys or space threatened and might decide other kids aren't so bad. Or he could ignore them and go play on his own with you getting to see friends anyway. Personally, my dd does better socializing at other kids houses and at the park. (Dh often takes her when he gets off work too) But I do advise: Do not take a ride on toy to the park!! I have had to deal with WAY too many fights other those, and after all the other kids wanted a turn, my dd decided she never wanted to share that toy again! And before that experience she was much better at sharing than she is now.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.