Strange Bedtime Routines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-01-2004, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's getting a bit out of hand. dd keeps adding things to the bedtime routine. Now after pajamas, teeth brushing, choosing 3 books to read, she wants to sniff every bottle of perfume and essential oils on my dresser. It started with just wanting to look at the pretty bottles. If we try to skip this step or cut it short with only 1 bottle to sniff, she stands up pointing at the dresser making exaggerated SNIFFING gestures. She really enjoys it and I guess her olfactory senses are getting a good workout but then for the rest of the night, she stinks of perfume and oils.

It just made me wonder if anyone else's toddler has any strange bedtime routines?
#2 of 5 Old 09-02-2004, 09:45 AM

That's funny! Me thinks she's trying to delay the inevitable, while satisfying the olfactory senses. Any chance you could do this before bathtime? Or at the beginning of the bedtime routine thing? Might make it less stressful. I know it's hard to switch around night time routines though.

The only weird thing my son does is he likes to lay right on my neck when we're settling down for sleep. I mean, right on my artery there. If I try to move him, he moves back! I must have a warm neck and I do love being so close to him, but I don't like the entire right side of my body going numb before he crashes.
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2004, 01:17 PM

That's hiarious! Dd doesn't do anything like that at bedtime, but if we're in a store that sells candles she wants to smell them all!
#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2004, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
That's hiarious! Dd doesn't do anything like that at bedtime, but if we're in a store that sells candles she wants to smell them all!
OMG, a scented candle shop, my dd would think it's Christmas! I never thought of that, next time at the Mall, I'll take her in. She'll probably enjoy it as much as the playground.
#5 of 5 Old 09-02-2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
: I smell all the candles. I can't help it, if I see one I like and I might want it, I have to smell them all... it's an OCD thing...

Wombat, I'd try putting a dot of each on a cotton ball or a card for her to sniff as she likes once she's already lying in bed. That way there's no stalling and it takes a bit less time than opening & sniffing every bottle. Try a cotton ball with each in a baggie or something like that.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page