sippy cups bad for teeth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-18-2004, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to a new playgroup yesterday, and when I mentioned my 10 mo. old was starting to drink from a sippy cup got a horrified "didn't you know sippy cups are bad for their teeth and jaws and can cause speech problems?" I never heard that, couldn't find any info about it on the web sites I usually get medical advice from, and had used sippy cups for my older daughter who is very verbal and easy to understand. Anyone know anything about this? Sigh - I go to playgroups hoping to get some support and just end up with more anxiety sometimes!
#2 of 8 Old 09-18-2004, 04:33 PM

i can't help on the teeth aspect (the only thing i've heard that's bad for teeth is sleeping with a bottle) but DEFINITELY NOT on the speech problems! I'm a speech & language pathologist & I have NEVER heard that! I'd ask questions- lots of them. Where did they hear this? More specific- what kind of teeth problems, what kind of teeth problems? Please feel free to tell them that a speech-path tod you there is no danger for speech problems & my dd uses them every day for every drink (except her milk!)
#3 of 8 Old 09-18-2004, 04:50 PM

here's the article

it was originally in the Wall Street Journal-not where I usually go for my parenting advice.
#4 of 8 Old 09-18-2004, 06:00 PM

We are in a time of age where everything causes some sort of problem...or so everyone claims! My son rarely liked sippy cups, he was already use to drinking out of our own cups that I guess he figured he wasn't getting the ''real deal'', but none the less we offered them to him.
My best advice is for you to go with your own instincts there are tons upon tons of children that drink from a sippy cup and they are perfectly fine. If you aren't satisified talk to your ped. and they'll tell you if there have been any reports of such. Good luck
#5 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 01:45 AM

The article says "prolonged" use if sippy cups. It never states how long. I have never heard of it causing jaw problems, or speech. It is not so much the cups that is bad for the teeth, but what is in them that is. If you give a child a cup of sugary juice(or any other sugary drink), espically if you let them go to sleep with it, that can cause major tooth decay. I make sure ds always has a cup of water around. If he sees it, he is more likley to drink it rather than if he has to ask for it. I think it is fine for a child to have a sippy cup until they are ready for a regular cup.
#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 08:52 AM

"lazy speech patterns from the delayed development of the tongue and cheeks are appearing in preschool children. Articulation of certain sounds is difficult"

oh boy the use of the word "lazy" to describe anything at all about children is just disgusting.

i think the real problem is children who are given a bottle/cup all day long to soothe themselves in lieu of soothing from a parent. it's just like prolonged/overuse of a pacifier, thumb, etc. in some cases, there are teenagers who still suck their thumbs and it's considered acceptable. says a lot of the level of comfort that's been available to those kids
#7 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, moms, I think you're right that it's whats INSIDE the cup that's more important than the cup itself. I think I got freaked out a bit because the person who brought it up is supposedly a well-respected early childhood educator and I was trying to make a good impression. It's probably true that someone, somewhere, has something negative to report on just about everything - how to sort it all out? Think I'll take my chances with the sippy cup - I really, really hate wiping up spilled milk (although if the dog is in, I don't have to )
#8 of 8 Old 09-19-2004, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobica
i think the real problem is children who are given a bottle/cup all day long to soothe themselves in lieu of soothing from a parent. it's just like prolonged/overuse of a pacifier, thumb, etc. in some cases, there are teenagers who still suck their thumbs and it's considered acceptable. says a lot of the level of comfort that's been available to those kids

I think that's exactly right - the problems come with children who have those sippy cups attached to their faces 24/7.

BTW, if you're concerned about the sippys, what about using a straw cup instead of a sippy? Not sure how much better it is, but my son never used a sippy and went right to the straw cups.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page