Mothering Forum banner

Choking Hazards...when is this not such an issue?

647 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  slightly crunchy 
#1 ·
Hi all -

Just wondering when one doesn't have to be so vigilant about one's child choking on small objects? Is it when they aren't inclined to put things in their mouth at random? Around what age does this tend to happen?

Kristen

#2 ·
I'm guessing every child is different in how "oral" they tend to be at a given age, but with Daniel, he stopped putting everything in his mouth at about 18 months or so---gradually he has been less and less likely to do that. Now at 22 months he is able to play happily with smaller objects like marbles or coins without seeming at all tempted to put them in his mouth (but I still play with him actively and watch closely when there are small objects involved---you just never know, and I'm still nervous about it).

#3 ·
After hearing about the 3 yo child who choked on popcorn in the movie theatre and died, it's got me thinking more about this and what I need to watch out for as DD gets older. Obviously the poor parents felt they "knew" what their own child could handle and must have thought that at 3 (when most toys say 'Not intended for age 3 and under" and we worry about foods less at this age too I guess) popcorn is okay. I would have thought the same.

#4 ·
I know what you mean---I worry more about food than objects as they get older. Locally a 3 year old choked on a cheese cube (party tray type) and died, and another 3 year old choked on a piece of hot dog. Melon cubes and whole grapes are dangerous as kids get old enough to eat food laid out at parties, and I personally know someone whose 4 year old choked on a marshmallow and required the heimlich maneuver to dislodge it. Very scary.

#5 ·
This is something that really terrifies me. Ds stopped putting non-food objects in his mouth for the most part several months ago. However, he often still gags and chokes on food, even though I always give him small pieces and encourage small bites. I wish I could figure out how better to prevent this or at least when it will stop. It's so scary. I don't think my heart can take one more episode of holding him upside down and patting his back.

#6 ·
My DS has stopped putting everything in his mouth, but I still am fairly vigilant about small objects. I supervise or just do not let him play.

He seems to not have such a problem these days. But you can never be too careful. I try never to turn my head
It can happen so fast.

#7 ·
This may sound like a stupid question, but what size of an object is a choking size? I can understand choking on a hot dog or cheese cube, but what about a raisin, or pieces of apple or pretzle?

Going along w/ that, my ds is a pretty slow eater, but lately he won't sit down and eat, he wants to wander around w/ his food. I wonder what might be safe to let him eat as he wanders, and what he should have to stay in his high chair to eat.

#8 ·
{I'm joking, really,
my dh and I joke about the warnings all the time - as if it's magic and you can stop paying attention!}

Apparently, age 3. Every warning on every thing I've ever seen always says "Choking hazard. Not for Children Under Age 3". Obviously, when children turn 3, they stop putting things in their mouths, stop choking, etc.

Honestly, I don't know - I've seen older kids choke on things too, so I think vigilance is important for many years. That said, my son (13m) puts less in his mouth than he ever has, but we still watch him like a hawk!

#9 ·
My 80 year old grandma almost choked on a peice of chicken. So it is always a concern. We just practice safe eating habits no walking with food.

My son (10) almost choked on a #$@#$# lego. HUMPH!! We would believe me about using his teeth to take them appart.

I do think I started to worry less when they stopped putting things in their mouth to explore. Each child is different on when they do this.

#10 ·
I worry much less about this at 2.5 years old.

I agree that food is a concern, but honestly I can't imagine restricting a 3 year old from eating popcorn. My ds has been eating it (one piece at a time) since before 2, as long as supervised.

Adults also choke on food plenty often, so it is always something to be aware of. I have been in a restaurant 2 different times when someone had to give the Heimlich to an adult man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.