Do you paint your toddler's fingernails? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Have you or would you ever, paint your toddler's nails?
Yep, we paint them! 50 37.31%
No, we haven't but we might. . . 19 14.18%
No, I would never paint them. 55 41.04%
Other 10 7.46%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While on vacation my DD darted into a salon and one of the women working there painted 1 nail for her.

Boy, did we get mileage out of that one! DD was delighted with it. She fell asleep checking out her "pretty fingernail" and woke up looking at it, too.

So once in a while I paint a nail or two. She really digs it and blows on her nail. She still smudges a whole lot but sometimes one nail manages to stay done.

Do any of you paint your toddler's nails? Why or why not?
#2 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 11:11 AM

if i had a girl i would paint them (if she let me)
they are pretty squirmy.

i think it would be cute.
#3 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 11:35 AM

My brother's girlfriend painted my ds's nails once (they were going through her purse, as he is wont to do with any visitor's things) - must have been while they were babysitting. DS loved it, but I wasn't thrilled simply because I was reluctant to use chemical nail polish remover on him.
#4 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 11:57 AM

My three year old saw a friend with painted fingernails and asked if she could have hers painted so I got her a formaldehyde free type at the natural food store.
#5 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 04:33 PM

Nope. Not because of any "feminist" issues, but because the paint on her nail(s) would end up all over the furniture the minute I let her hand go!
#6 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 04:47 PM

yes i paint them for her as a very special treat...i do a very light coat and blow on them untill they are dry she gets a kick out of it since her older cousins always have theirs painted
#7 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 05:11 PM

I had to vote "other" because while my dd is only 8 months old now and my answer is a resounding NO, I'm aware that my opinion could change drastically by the time she's old enough to want something like this. I'm pretty sure that when or if the time comes, I'll try to sway her in a less femme-y direction. I want her to be a kid for as long as she can be before she starts worrying about the way gender gets acted out and the standards of beauty imposed on women.
#8 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 05:21 PM

I never paint my nails,too much trouble, but my daughter loves painting her daddys toe and finger nails. Who says men don't wera nail polish too?
#9 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 05:29 PM

Funny that you asked...my teeneage SIL just painted my dd's toes today. My dd really hasn't even noticed since the actual painting.
#10 of 56 Old 08-12-2002, 06:55 PM

I checked other. When dd #1 (who is now 17) was little, I would paint her nails on request. We used the kid's Tinkerbell kind. It dries very quickly.

DD#2 isn't old enough (she is 12 mo) to know what nail polish is, but she likes looking at my painted toenails and my dd#1's painted fingernails and toenails.

I suppose I will paint her's, too, when she asks.
#11 of 56 Old 08-13-2002, 12:04 AM

My dd is 3 and we paint hers. We didn't until she asked herself, but I didn't have a problem with it. Fron the get go she has always had a facination with things on the body like nail polish, tatoos, peircings, jewlery, henna, anything. Not neccesarily girly things, just on the body things. Dh and I decided when she was born we would let her peirce her ears when she was old enough to ask, and really want them, etc. She started asking when she was 2!!
#12 of 56 Old 08-14-2002, 12:59 AM

got to admit my youngest son loves the glitter nail polish on his toes
#13 of 56 Old 08-14-2002, 01:15 AM

i was a heavy nail painter through the first year of high school (gothic black: )

then i turned ultra hippy /actvist and stopped useing it for the chemical reasons for about 6 years.

for the last 7 years i go through phases. sometimes its really really neat to do it, until it begins to feel like a chore, then i just quit for a while. but oops this was about kids

a few months ago when i was painting mine ds really wanted me to do his,hes three and a half. i hesitated, all this contradicting sexist thought going through my head "he cant, hes a boy""if it were a girl, i would DEfinatly not" and so on, untill i was like "sure ,why not?"

he loved it and loved blowing on his toes (couldnt bring myslef to do his fingers) and he even enjoys blowing on mine to help me out -mommas little helper -

but when daddy came home and saw it, he had to take a moment to reset his sexist ideals that he was raised with as well and just sort of grinned and beard it. -toung in cheek here-

then a few weeks later i painted dss fingers and he just loved it again. daddys made his peace with it by now and is totally cool about it (he went through his little goth phase too )but i will still embarrased when we went out and i forgot to take it off. o well,i think it might be a good thing, maybe he wont grow up being all intimadated by "girly" things?

i dunno, i dont think its a big deal, as long as it doesnt become on of those things that HAS to be done to feel good about oneself, just as an addition if you will.

i sometimes wonder if i would feel diferently if i had a girl,(and sometimes makes me wish i had one) it seems like such a different issue to address, or am i way off base?

theres a natural nail polish? cool, whats it called?

vanna's mom, my ds wont want to put it on unless its glitter too
#14 of 56 Old 08-14-2002, 09:49 PM

when I get the chance and the inclination to paint my nails my 2 year old son always wants to join in and loves showing them off to anyone who will look
#15 of 56 Old 08-15-2002, 01:13 AM

My dd had her nails painted twice by babysitter. She LOVED it, but I wasn't too crazy about it. She's just 2.5 and sucks her fingers. Needless to say, I don't want her sucking the nail polish. Anyways, as she gets older, maybe I'll use that as an incentive to stop sucking her fingers when she gets a little older.
#16 of 56 Old 08-16-2002, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All the time. It is a favorite pass time here. We use cheap nail polish so that it isn't nessecary to use remover. I have been doing the grls since they were babies. For madeline it started with Christmas cards and a gols paint pen. The temptation was too much With Lilyka I am sure it started at Birth because her big sister wanted to show all the really cool stuff about being a kid.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#17 of 56 Old 08-16-2002, 03:39 PM

With dd1, it was one of those Friday night 'girlie' things that we did. We painted toe-nails.

Then, I started reading about all the gunk that is in the nailpolishes and threw them all out. We've been polish free about a year now.

If there is a great natural brand out there - post it. I miss the time and my daughter somewhat misses the polish, but I just didn't want her exposed to the chem.s in it.
#18 of 56 Old 08-16-2002, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hlsanders -

My dd nick name since she was about a year old has been punkinbutt. I am not sure how it got started but it has just always been. One year for halloween she went as a pumpkin and when opld ladies ask her what she was she would proudly proclaim "I am a punkinbutt!" Much to thier hooror (she was 2)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#19 of 56 Old 08-17-2002, 04:56 AM

me me!

I grew up with my strict father who never let my sis and I wear any makeup or paint our nail (becuase of the strong smell).

He didnt agree with feminist stuff.

But to bribe my dd to let me cut her fingernail sine they hurt me when she kneads my breast during nursing I had to cut her nail. So I came up with the clever idea to paint her nail as a bribe for letting me cut them. It works.

But was worried about the chemical since she will suck on her finger or chew on her finger and the paint comes off. I will look into the one at the health food store like someone mentioned earlier. Thanks for the tips.

Great poll!
#20 of 56 Old 08-17-2002, 05:49 AM

I didn't vote because I have only painted dd's toenails. I wouldn't feel comfortable painting her fingernails as her fingers end up in her mouth sometimes.

The whole reason I painted dd's toenails this summer was because her nails started to look dirty from playing barefoot all the time....even after washing. I wasn't about to take a sharp object to clean them out and her nails weren't long enough to trim, so I decided to paint 'em. She loved it...especially since older sis and mommy have their toes painted too.
#21 of 56 Old 08-18-2002, 06:01 AM

my neighbour did dd's toenails a couple of weeks ago & she LOVED it!! They were a silvery blue colour & she would tell everyone she saw, "I got painted toenails!!" & try to take off her shoes if she was wearing any. It was pretty cute.

It's mostly worn off now & I'll just leave it rather than using that nasty smelling remover. If someone wants to do her toes again I guess I wouldn't mind...but definitely not her fingers. Like others have said, I don't want it in her mouth.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#22 of 56 Old 08-20-2002, 03:55 PM

I hate haveing paint on my nails, I like the french manicure look better, But recently our neighboor bought my 7yr old a pixie dust makeup kit, which included some jarring pink nailpolish, Both the girls wanted their nails painted So I let them, I think it looks cute.
#23 of 56 Old 08-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Banned

I don't believe in make up for children or women (or men...)

#24 of 56 Old 08-20-2002, 11:45 PM

Soleil, aka Sully, loves having painted toe nails...we always match them up, lots of fun, but I use the natural stuff, also from the natural food store...it's great, my sis works there, 50% off all items...bonus!

I think painted toe nails are awesome!

mamasoleil
#25 of 56 Old 08-21-2002, 08:45 AM

But I used to paint DD fingernails and toes nails when she was little, actually she still ask me to paint them for her, she is 10! I don't think I will be painting DS fingernails....lol althought DD keeps asking me if SHE can paint his.....little stinker
#26 of 56 Old 08-22-2002, 12:05 AM

Does anyone remember a line of children's products called "tinkerbell" that had a peel-off nail polish called bopo? (brush on, peel off) I have heard of a brand in health stores that is similar, though marked to adults, but have not seen it. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I would be less reluctant to paint my daughter's nails if I didn't have to remove it. She LOVES having her nails polished.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#27 of 56 Old 08-22-2002, 06:28 PM

Yup, occasionally we'll do my son's toes.
He's 23 months old and calls it "shining"! He loves having his toes painted and you should see him stick his foot out for the polish and when it hits his big toe, the toe just jumps straight out. We get such a kick out of it that we just do it whenever it hits us.
A few weeks ago I gave him some clear polish and he went from person to person painting their toes, even the cat! I have this great photo series of him painting his own toes, and then finally the cat's. The cat is holding his paw up and everything, truly hysterical. If anyone wants to see, let me know and I'll give out a link.
Email me privately
karengus@yahoo.com
Take care!
Karen
#28 of 56 Old 08-23-2002, 12:40 AM

I never paint any of my nails but while we were visiting my family my sisters and neices painted their nails and toenails and abby sat and insisted her toenails be painted (shes 18 months) she sat quietly through the process which shocked me..

Not all those who wander are lost 
#29 of 56 Old 08-25-2002, 12:49 PM

I voted "other". DD1 is 6 and claims to love nail polish but we only do her nails once every couple of months. She has a half dozen little bottles (most given to her as gifts) but she rarely thinks to ask and I don't offer. But she does love them painted and thinks she is quite grown up when they are.
DD2 will turn 2 this week. She has had her fingernails painted once - we were at the beach cabin for 4th of July and a bunch of girls DD1's age were painting nails. DD2 went in and sat very still while a teenage girl painted them for her. It was cute - I took pix. But in general, I think 4 or 5 is a minimum age (for my house) and even then not too often.
I very rarely paint my own nails as I prefer to leave them natural.
Kirsten
#30 of 56 Old 08-25-2002, 01:28 PM

I haven't. However, dh is the nail guy in this house. I have never been able to cut a baby's nails, so dh did that, and he also does the painting of them! Dd1 has had fingers and toes done, but dd2 has only had toes. Dd1 has also painted dh's toes for him. Very cute.

I was given a gift certificate last year for a manicure and pedicure. I didn't have nice fingernails at the time, so I took dd1 (almost 7 at the time) and she got the manicure, I got the pedicure. She was allowed choose whatever she wanted colourwise, and ended up with a different colour on each finger. Luckily she likes pale colours!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page