Butt rash on potty trained toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
My 2 1/2 year old son has recently potty trained. (about 2 weeks now) i started off giving him M+M's for using the potty. He very rarely ever gets any candy, so this was a huge treat.
So a few days into it, i start noticing an eczema type rash on his check. It's red and very dry and flaky. i though it might possibly be a reaction to chocolate...since he'd never had it before. So i switched to reeces pieces. The rash appeared to be clearing up.
Then yesterday i notice he has a huge rash on each butt cheek. He's wearing underpants not diapers or trainers. The rash is red, slighty raised, covered with bumps and itchy. It's on his upper buttocks. At night i have been putting disposable training pants on him, and he wakes up dry 99% of the time. Last night i put diaper cream on his bum, and the rash is almost cleared up..but now the eczema looking patch on his face is back.
Would this be a reaction to sugar? Any thoughts? Does the butt rash sound like ezcema too or is this maybe from the disposables? we used cloth before. Help!
#2 of 3 Old 10-29-2004, 01:35 PM

The butt rash defnitely sounds like it could just be from the disposable diapers. My guys get a rash whenever they're in sposies. . . even the "good" kind that supposedly don't have chemicals in them. They don't seem to have particuarly sensitive skin otherwise, and never get rashy in cloth. I wonder if babies who are in sposies from birth just develop a tolerance for them early on. They do make cloth overnight training pants if you're interested, or maybe you could just have your ds go without since he's dry so much of the time anyway.

Regarding the exzema, I would doubt that the sugar is the culprit, but I don't know for sure. I think it would more likely be a reaction to something else that's in the reeces's pieces (some coloring or preservative. . . in which case you could try giving him a more "natural" treat instead, something organic and in a relatively pure state) if it's related to that at all. It's true that exzema is generally related to an allergy of some sort, but this is a time of year when exzema can flare up just because it's getting so dry out (at least where we live). Both of my boys have developed really dry skin in the last couple of weeks.

I would also just scrutinize your ds' diet and see if there's anything else that he could be reacting to. It could be something that's he's had before, but that he's suddenly eating in larger amounts or more frequently. Or a new soap, laundry detergent, etc.

HTH, and congrats on the PT!

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#3 of 3 Old 10-29-2004, 02:15 PM

My oldest went through the same thing after I put him in underpants. The culprit seemed to be the underpants. He was in the regular fruit of the loom type undies, and at first I thought it was the dye in the undies, so I got plain white ones and that wasn't it. So I searched high and low and I found some undies with natural fibers from sarasprints.com and that seemed to do the trick. Before I found these, I went through every brand/type of undies.
I wouldn't think it is the sugar for this kind of rash.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page