The Second Birthdays are here! *Nov/Dec 02* - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a change of pace, I have BeanBean asleep in the sling in front of me. Ah, the joys of having a little fellow! :LOL He's always excited to get into the sling, because that's usually BooBah's spot these days, but she's in bed asleep so he can have his turn. He's curled up, a little ball of Bean.

Casina, you sound really busy! I was busy yesterday too, though in a different way; both of my children decided that they simply couldn't get through the day without physical contact. I put BooBah in the bouncer so I could get the mail, and the world ended. I put BeanBean down so I could pee and you'd have thought the Four Horsemen were knocking on the door. I spent most of the day sitting in our one comfy chair in the living room with both kids on top of me, wiggling, playing and nursing. . They even took a really long nap on me. I was totally pinned down, I couldn't even knit all I could do was sit there with my shirt up around my neck and my nipples freezing. I was kind of irritated but kind of amused. BeanBean didn't move from me (willingly) until he heard Mike at the door. Then he got all excited and ran for "Daddy!!!!" :LOL BooBah was excited to see him, too. So was I, for that matter. I said "Thank God you're home, I'm taking a shower!" Of course, I had to take the kids in with me because BooBah had the biggest poopy mess on her behind and BeanBean can't bear for anyone to take a shower alone (he doesn't like to, so why would anyone else?) but the kids got out and went to daddy and I got a few moments to myself.

BeanBean is refusing to eat food for me at all these days. "Do you want cereal?" "I don't want cereal, I want to nurse." "How about some meat?" "No, I want to nurse." "Would you like some yogurt?" "No, I don't want yogurt, I want to nurse." That's pretty much our conversation for the day. I've tried offering him anything and everything I could think of, but he won't take it from me. Then Mike comes home and he acts like he's starving, eats anything that Daddy puts in front of him in a hurry and asks for more. : Maybe if he'd eat something for me, he wouldn't be so ravenous in the evening!

Oh! Casina, everyone's getting scarves from me this year, too. :LOL I really ought to be knitting right now, but I'm taking a break...:LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#242 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 05:11 PM

Christopher met Santa for the third year in a row and he didn't scream at all. My child has no fear except for the vacuum and DH's air ratchet. David looked around and took everything in. Here are the pictures of the boys and Santa. I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.candidsbykate.com/santa/6938.html

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#243 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 05:35 PM

soo cute heather! and what a great santa
#244 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 06:47 PM

nak

Cute pics Heather. I'm not sure we're doing the Santa think this year- I'm pretty sure my kids would scream, LOL.

Anyone else's babes HATE brushing their teeth???

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#245 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 07:14 PM

i was just going to ask about teeth brushing.. elwynn used to HATE it. i didnt do it often, mostly because it was tramatic for him and me...then my mom got him an electric car shaped one and he disliked that even more... so after that i just sat him on the counter while i brushed my teeth and gave him his little unelectric one and i got some organic flouride free cherry toothpaste and let him taste it and now he LOVES brushing. he likes to do a bit himself then ask for help. he likes the spitting part, he calls it something else and it makes me laugh, but i cant for the life of me remember.. so, yep teeth brushing is no longer an issue..but he always makes sure that i give him the "no loud! quiet one"

nice pics heather

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#246 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

BeanBean loves brushing his teeth, with any toothbrush he can find. He prefers his own ("Mamma, where's my yellow toothbrush?") but will just as happily take his cousins, or mine, or Mike's. :LOL He doesn't particularly enjoy it when I try to brush his teeth, although he doesn't mind when Mike does it.

I doubt that BeanBean will be seeing Santa this year. I'm Jewish, and Mike didn't do Santa growing up, so we'll be raising BeanBean and BooBah without him. :LOL It's possible that someone will drag him to see Santa, but it certainly won't be me! :LOL

#247 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Zoom loves to brush her teeth, she has at least two or three toothbrushes :tooth because she always ends up in some other room with them, or chews them up She doesn't really like me to help, but she will often let daddy. She use to hate to let us help her, so I started singing her a song that my mom sang to us about brushing teeth and we tell her things like "Oh I see some eggs on that tooth! We better get them off. Oh no!! There's some kefir back here!! etc." She thinks its hilarious. We still don't get to brush them as often as I would like, but we are working on it, slowly but surely.

As for Santa (great pics by the way Heather!) even if we did celebrate Christmas, there's no way Zoom would get anywhere near Santa! She is not comfortable around new men at all. Often to the point of tears and screams, espesially if they have facial hair. Anyhow, dh was raised Jewish, I was raised in several different christian faiths, and my mom converted to Judaism when I was twelve. Neither dh or I feel a great connection to any of these faiths though. We've been reading some about Buddhism lately and I'm really enjoying that.

Dh is reading The Art of Happiness right now and he keeps reading me snippets. I can't wait until he is finished so I can read it.

Hope you mamas are doing well

p.s. abranger, im so glad you enjoyed your experience as a helper mama. I hope next year I can be one.
#248 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkprincessmama
She is not comfortable around new men at all. Often to the point of tears and screams, espesially if they have facial hair. .
omg this is totally dd. she is very shy around all men, but freaks around really large men and/or men w/ facial hair.
#249 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

: A Jewish friend once told me a really funny story about her first encounter with Santa. She was in kindergarten, and they had Santa come in and she watched several of the children sit on his lap and get a present. She totally freaked out in the middle of class, lost it and got hysterical. When they got her mother on the phone, she said "Mommy, there's a strange mand wearing a costume and he wants the children to sit on his lap and he's giving them candy!!" Santa Claus perfectly fit the description she had been given of a dangerous person and she was having no part of it! :LOL

#250 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 PM

rynna i'm

it's so true if you think about it!!!
#251 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
: A Jewish friend once told me a really funny story about her first encounter with Santa. She was in kindergarten, and they had Santa come in and she watched several of the children sit on his lap and get a present. She totally freaked out in the middle of class, lost it and got hysterical. When they got her mother on the phone, she said "Mommy, there's a strange mand wearing a costume and he wants the children to sit on his lap and he's giving them candy!!" Santa Claus perfectly fit the description she had been given of a dangerous person and she was having no part of it! :LOL
:

#252 of 399 Old 12-15-2004, 11:04 PM

ive never even considered taking elwynn to meet santa.. i think its okay if he believes in him..because he represents magic! but to go to a mall and sit on some smelly strangers knee? eek. i dunno. he's probably not be too into it.. we dont really celebrate christmas..more solstice and yule.. i like the tree and i like the snow and the fun of opening stockings full of treasure, but thats as far as the tradition goes for us.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#253 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 06:31 PM

I think it is neat how everyone celebrates around this time of year. I am not that big into Santa but my mom thinks they are the cutest photos. We lucked out since Santa visited our mom's group holiday luncheon.

#254 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 07:01 PM

This month is so busy for us b/c we celebrate christmas and hanukah and of course GA's birthday is dec 27th. DH is jewish and we are raising GA jewish but I am really attached to christmas and santa and the whole thing. We decided when we had GA that we would celebrate hanukah as a religious holiday with no presents. so we light the candles say the prayer and eat latkes.

GA's photo with Santa last year is her sitting on daddy's lap next to santa clinging to daddy for dear life with a look of complete terror on her face. we use the caption (I'M JEWISH GET ME AWAY FROM THIS GUY!)
#255 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranger
This month is so busy for us b/c we celebrate christmas and hanukah and of course GA's birthday is dec 27th. DH is jewish and we are raising GA jewish but I am really attached to christmas and santa and the whole thing. We decided when we had GA that we would celebrate hanukah as a religious holiday with no presents. so we light the candles say the prayer and eat latkes.
Mike's really attached to the tree and the idea of Christmas, but he's weird about it. It just doesn't mean anything to him other than "it's a tree" or "we give each other gifts" but he's not into wholly Jesus-free secular Christmas. I don't quite get it, how can he go through the motions of spirituality without feeling spiritual? :

#256 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 09:38 PM

I can answer that, rynna. I think that what is important about christmas for people is the tradition and ritual. we lack so many rituals in our society, and we crave it during the time when everyone else is getting into it. especially if you are raised in a chistmas-season-loving home (who isn't?) wheather it's x-mas, hanuka(sp?), or yule, everyone has to celebrate this time of year when the days are the shortest. it's dark out much more than usual so we can huddle up close with our friends and family and feel like there still is warmth somewhere.

(mind you, I guess it might be different if you live in a climate where you are wearing shorts on x-mas day)

we are doin a little x-mas thing this year. have the fiber-optic tree out, and I've been buying presents since october. I'm so glad that i don't have cable here... I don't have to watch all those annoying christmas commercials. I can't help it though, i love the tree and the snow and the majik.
#257 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 10:03 PM

yep. i agree with you jazz,

our society really lacks ritual..i like to think that every family hads their own rituals and tho they are named "christmas" or halloween" or whatever its what you make them, not the label..just like people..you can label someone punk or conservative or black or white..but the name isnt whats important its who they are inside..

anyways, ive had a bit of a rough time these last few days.. i was sure i was pregnant..feeling sick and tired and hungry and not hungry and sleepy and then i couldn't sleep past 5am.oh and my AF was late too...anyways yesterday i started to bleed(miscarry?!) and i cried almost all day. i was getting excited and so happy about it( the baby). now im in kinda in a cloud of sad. i know that i should be happy for what i have..but somewhere out there is a little being wanting to be with us.. its a hard thing to ignore. anyways... elwynn is a bright star in my cloudy sky. and ill get over it soon.

Quote:

#258 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 10:43 PM

MamaFern

#259 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 10:56 PM

We are definetley feeling the lack of rituals here in our family, and trying hard to remedy that. Personally, I love the Jewish traditions, but dh doesn't feel a connection to them, and his family isn't near by so.... We are thinking to start some traditions to celebrate the new year together though and I am looking forward to that.

This is going to sound ignorant, but can somebody explain to me what yule is, and how it is celebrated? :
#260 of 399 Old 12-16-2004, 11:15 PM

yule is A celebration of the winter solstice(predating christianity)..i feel a kinship with it because it was the tradition in iceland and that's my heritage.. or part of it anyways..

the yule tree is similar to the christmas tree..again..names differ, but the idea is the same..here we use evergreens..traditionally rowan tree's were used in iceland(outdoor) and they had candles and other decorations and the idea behind it is to have an ever present light on the darkest night of the year.

infact most of the christmas traditions stem from yule tradition..because it was a way for the christians to take that away from the "unbelievers.." or whatever they called it and make it a christain celebration..even though jesus was born in march.

i really dont know a lot of the traditional stuff.. but its a lovely way to celebrate the solstice and winter and all of the rituals that we love..

Quote:

#261 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 03:57 AM

rynna, i've been chuckling to myself about you describing me as busy. my kids are extraordinarly active. something about two sets of two year spacing and two boys first. and asian frenetic genetics. if i sit down i am a target for headbutting or latched by two. a three ring circus. but i'm not depressed like i was before kids. i have no time to fret about saving the world. i happen to have shrunken healthily as well.

i wish there were more community rituals i agreed with. like in mpls there is a mayday parade.

today i had to specifically remind reed to skip mentioning the lack of santa's existence since there was a girl going on about it at kung fu. i had him practice the phrase, "i'm happy for you" or "i'm glad you are excited" when someone talks to him about their christmas glee. i had to do it last year, and i guess i better indoctrinate clay. it is weird teaching them something rote. reed doesn't mind doing it because he knows something secret others don't. but clay may want to be devious and wreak havoc with the cousins. damen told me today at the library clay wanted to ask the librarian about books that featured eyes squirting blood and things that come out of butts. good thing dh asked him privately first.

ruby is starting to put two words together, and is willing to learn the types of horses. she is usually covered in marker especially face and hands and feet. her clothes too and most of the house. i'm so used to it but the general population keeps pointing it out to me. she is my shining delight. even with the new scary shrieks she has devised this week. she has also made it clear this week that she is to participate in shopping. um, she's a bit short for me to explain that the avocado was too soft? and that tomato looks inedible to the point of plastic ? and i don't like presqueezed lime juice? hey, i bought the tangerines, and the green beans, and no m&ms but unsalted sunflower seeds is okay and ruby, i can see that you want these things and you have every right to be upset, but i am not going to buy them"......and i'm talking out loud so that everyone staring and my boys can see i'm being reasonable even though she is freaking. and yes, i check out with screamers. i have only left a cart of stuff once, and that was because the store employees made me furious and i haven't been back there since even though it is down the street.
with baby reed, and baby clay i could just put the items in the cart but set them aside and not buy them but ruby and clay combined remember and look for them. i guess i need a new plan of action. i have to get food.

clay doesn't even allow me to get cross with the others. he defends them even when i say something to help him. me: reed, move over so clay can get by. reed whining and stomping if he's tired: i don't want to! clay kicking me: mom, you hurt reed's feelings he doesn't want to move argh! me: clay, i don't like being hurt. clay: i'll stop hurting if you give me candy! (i have never rewarded him thus but he has the litany down) meanwhile ruby is either totally engrossed with a book or marker or food and happy, or totally needy and everything is fever pitch loud.
clearly, i have never worried about child abduction.
#262 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 04:32 AM

:LOL wow, casina, I'd love to watch you all go shopping. Sounds hilarious (and challenging)

oh fern, I was wondering how you were doing. You'll be getting a "yule box" in a few days. hope it cheers you up.
#263 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 01:52 PM

same at ya mamma

im sending yours on monday by greyhound, so you should also get yours in a few days. will you be able to pick it up?

we are getting things ready for elwynns birthday party. i dont think its going to be a big affair..just a few friends and family. i was trying to think of games and last night i had this grand idea to have everyone do musical chairs because i think elwynn would think it hillarious. oh and stick the hat on the gnome..

whenever elwynn see's a santa type figure he says "gnome!" i guess because we are into gnomes and elwvs and faeries so thats what he believes he is..which is fine because he doesnt know that this gnome brings presents or any of the other things attached to santa clause...he just knows he's a gnome and that he likes gnomes a lot.

. he really is into snuggling stuff..we went into a store yesterday and he saw a wooden "gnome" and asked to snuggle it then, to put it "back" when he was done. and while i was checking out his little hand reached out and picked up some candy and i asked him once nicely to put it back..and he looked at me and at the candy and put it back and said "ok" it was so great to be able to just say one or two quiet words and not to have to make a big deal...so we went to the grocery store and he got to choose some yogurt and we sat on the sidewalk in front of safeway eating organic maple yogurt, which tastes more like icecream if you ask me... and yes people stared. "havn't you ever seen a momma and her kid eating yogurt?"

Quote:

#264 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 02:13 PM

i imagine that you and elwynn were too fascinating to watch. and no, most people don't do that kind of thing where i am. what, stop and smell the roses? especially if it is not exactly 70 degrees and proper eating is supposed to be in the privacy of a home? what really gets stares is when i sit on the ground. or rather, concrete. i love your tales fern.
#265 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 02:28 PM

i like your tales too

its so weird, this world we live in..i mean, i would have sat on a bench and not on the ground except that there was no bench in sight and elwynn was hungry 15 minutes ago..

mostly i got smiles, but a few strange looks, but ive become accostomed to strange looks.. im a young looking punk rock mom with a beautiful child..everyday 15 times a day i get comments like "(s)he is the most beautiful baby.." "(s)he should be in GAP adds" Yick! like i'd ever do that in a million years or for a million dollars.. and they dont usually look at me..

once i was in a thrift store and one of the sweet lady's who works there was talking to him but he wasnt looking at her he was looking at me and she said " your mom is so beautiful isn't she" it was really lovely.. she saw how he was looking at me and really accepted it instead of trying to get his attention..i hate it when people make stupid noises or poke him to get his attention. or any kids for that matter..

have a nice day everyone.. elwynn and i are going to make chocolate truffles and more gingerbread.

Quote:

#266 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 04:06 PM

Oh you mommas are such a great group of women. I'm back to do a couple of hours of clean-up and box up the odds and ends. We had a rough day and night--Mukti has developed several canker sores in his mouth and they are causing him such discomfort. He hasn't been able to eat much and last night was a rough one, tears and wakefulness, and all three of us up. I'm thinking it's how he's manifesting the stress of moving. It's the only indication he's given me, being otherwise cheerful and accepting of all the change involved in moving to our new home. Anyway I was feeling pretty tired and a bit low but reading all the posts has cheered me. Thanks mommas

On the topic of ritual, well y'all can imagine how much the Solstice means to this momma In fact Mukti came in with the turning of the light.

Lovely stories mamafern and casina. Blessings to all.
#267 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 08:09 PM

mamafern- i'm making truffles tomorrow for holiday gifts. how did your day go w/ it? it's my first time, so i'm a bit nervous.

rose- what time was ds born? dd was born at 4:57 am- so a bit before the light, but close.
#268 of 399 Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 PM

ive made them lots of times, but i used a different recipe this time and it didnt harden right..its more like hot fudge sauce than truffle mix..maybe i did something wrong..im going to try again tomorow. good luck.

Quote:

#269 of 399 Old 12-18-2004, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

That's funny, I sit on the ground and eat with my kids all the time. As long as it's not freezing cold or so hot that the yogurt will turn before we finish it, why not? I do get funny looks, but people don't know why it's funny, iykwim. It's like, they look and their first reaction is "That's really strange" but then they think about it and realize that there shouldn't be anything strange about it.

BeanBean has been sleeping very little of late. Last night, he didn't fall asleep until nearly three am, then he woke up about ten minutes before Mike's alarm went off this morning (5:20!!), went back to sleep and woke me up at a quarter after 7. He's been awake since then, except for a 15 minute nap in the car, and is now, at 1:15, snuggling beside me on the floor. I really need more sleep than this!

Family traditions-- I guess I can understand wanting to have family traditions, but I can't understand not wanting any substance to them. In my mind, a tradition should have meaning outside of "it's a tradition." It should be something you do for a reason which is deep and meaningful, even if only to you. Going through the motions just for the sake of tradition strikes me as somewhat... empty. For me, it's got to mean something. I think I'll have to find a way to talk to Mike about it tomorrow.

In other news, I am getting ready to mail my box of hand-knitted things out! I hope that they are appreciated, if for nothing else for all my hard work. I'm going to borrow MIL's camera and take pictures of them tomorrow. Maybe tonight, if both of my children will go to sleep. :LOL

#270 of 399 Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 PM

Made my first batch of truffles, and they are not the most beautiful things in the world, but they look ok, and taste great! woot!! i made granola the day before, so b/w the granola and truffles, at least i know my family will be eating. :LOL
this afternoon i have to work on the photo albums and some hand print angels, and then i have to make a ritual robe for my best friend and her dh. YIKES!!! What have i gotten myself into!!! (I haven't even gotten my sewing machine out of the box since my mom gave it to me)

hugs to the no sleeping mamas- i'm there right w/ you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page