Toddler doesn't nap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2004, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sure this has been asked before, but since I a new here, please humor me.....

Does anyone have a toddler how no longer naps? I realize they are all unique little beings but I don't know anyone with a toddler who does not nap. My 19 mo dd has started sleeping 12+ hours at night and no longer wants to nap. We practice ap, so I am going with her flow. She seems fine. I am just curious is anyone else has experienced this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 09:38 PM

My DS is only 14 months old, but he barely naps an hour a day. And is perfectly happy! Sigh. I so envy those moms who get two hours. The things I could get done!
-Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 PM

My DD stopped napping at about 18 months. She napped pretty well (for her, that was 60-90 minutes a day) from a few months through about a year, then I had to work really hard to get that nap in for the next 6 months, and then we just gave up.

On the bright side, once she stopped napping, she did go to bed much earlier in the evening. It still took another year and a half for her to sleep long nighttime stretches, though.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:50 PM

I started a thread in this vein a few months ago, I think in this forum.

DD2 stopped napping at 18 months, when I stopped nursing.

She still doesn't nap. Now that she is 2-3/4 years old, she *may* nap at childcare, when her caregiver says it is naptime. I don't know why, but the caregiver says "lie down quietly" and she does. She won't do it with me.

I have also been giving her a homeopathic remedy to ease DD2's anxiety and nervous tension. It is the Hyland's product: Calms. I'm also trying Calms Forte, but I don't like it as much. Neither product gets DD2 to nap, but they do get her to calm down enough so that the whiny/terrible two days are quite so terrible.

For a while we could trick her into napping by taking her for a drive in the car, but she wisened up to that strategy... the Calms does help for that.

I feel that DD2 doesn't nap because of our family atmosphere: (1) I'm a pretty wound up person who doesn't nap --type A personality, and (2) we don't have much of a daily routine. ... I am somewhat powerless to change these things... she doesn't nap when I nap, and DH is not supportive of establishing a routine... you know the type: he prefers sponteneity and impetuousness.

Edited to add: DD2 does show signs of needing a nap, and is much happier if she has rested.

-- Caitlin
Old 11-04-2004, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I think you hit on it, cwaddick, you sound just like me and your house just like mine, except we are still on dd #1.

thanks!

Kathy
Old 11-04-2004, 11:44 PM

My oldest dd, now three years old, resisted sleeping during the day from just a few months old. Even then she was a very intense little person who seemed afraid the world would pass her by if she slept during the day. She began going several days between naps at 18 months and by the time she was two, she had given them up entirely (as had I... spending 1 hour helping her to sleep wasn't worth the 20 min. nap).

Once napping was past, I had to be more aware of dd's energy level (and my own ) ... giving regular, nutritious snacks, esp. in the late afternoon.

Afternoon playdates may be hard to come by for a while, but we didn't mind so much as at-home dates with dh began much earlier in the evening.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:53 PM

Me too...
DD naps for me, most of the time, but doesn't nap for dh, and hasn't since 14 months, unless she's totally & completely exhausted & it's hot--then she'll sleep in the stroller. But since it's November in Wisconsin, that won't be happening too often. She seems to need 11-12 hrs/day, and so if she takes a nap for me on the wkd she's then up later at night & wakes up a bit earlier in the morning. OTOH, she's also in a better mood in the late afternoon, so the trade-off is definitely worth it. If she doesn't nap it really shows, and then she wants to go to sleep as soon as I get home, often at 5:30 or 6.

No words of wisdom, except that valerian occasionally works. We try not to use it too often, though--just on days (like today) when she clearly needs it but isn't giving up.

User Tag List