need potty training tips - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-11-2004, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi mamas! i didn't think i'd need to ask this, since iv'e potty trained my 2 older toddlers, but i'm now trying to potty train my 27 mo. old dd and she's not being very cooperitive. if she has her pants off and no dipe then she goes to the potty perfectly when she needs too. The only problem is that it's not summer anymore so it's too cold for her to be going around half naked Anyways she just isn't cooperating on telling me when she needs to go. If i sit her down and it's just that perfect timing on my part, then she'll do what she needs to do and is so exited. But for the most part, i'll catch her probably about 5-15 min. too late and she's gotten her training pants wet. I've been sitting her down for 5-10 min every hour and if she wets her pants then she has to practice what she's supposed to do (go thru the whole potty routine from going to the potty to sitting and doing pee pee or poo poo on the potty, not in her underwear and then getting up and pickingup her pants when she's done) about 10x's, although i'm going to shorten the # of practice times because she seems to be zoning me out after about 6 times. So can anybody give me any other suggestions? She super smart, and i know the if she wanted to she could get the hang of it right away, she just doesn't want to it seems. Any suggestions will be much appriciated.

P.S. she has a potty chart with stickers when she goes in the potty.
#2 of 5 Old 11-11-2004, 07:51 PM

It sounds to me like she's not emotionally ready, for whatever reason. Why not just wait a while longer until she seems interested? I recommend the book "How to Be the Parent You Want to Be" -- it has a really good chapter on potty learning.
#3 of 5 Old 11-11-2004, 09:13 PM

I wouldn't make her practice if she makes a mistake. Especially since you said you think she knows what to do, she just doesn't want to. If you are taking her to the potty every hour, I think that is enough practice. If your child fell down while learning to walk you wouldn't make her get up and practice walking, she would just progress at her own pace. Likewise so will your daughter progress in her potty learning experience. 27 months is so young! If I were you, I would just stick to the regular potty times, plus the chart, and accept for now that that is the stage you are in. If she wets her training pants, just get her some clean ones, and try again next time. Just my .02 though!
#4 of 5 Old 11-12-2004, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, so maybe I'm expecting too much of her huh? If i backed off a bit, i wouldn't want to put her back in diapers becuase that could take away the progress we've made already, at least that's what I'm thinking. Could this emotional delay be becuase we recently really got down to getting her to stop sucking her thumb? We've been trying for a long time, dh a lot more then me ( I didn't think it was that big a deal at her age) but dh would really get on her and sometimes slap her hand a bit when he caught her with her thumb in her mouth. Something i never did. So to help her out and hopefully not have to see that happening anymore (slapping) I found some bitter nail biting stuff, and it really seems to be working! And she's not really reacting to it or anything, which is surprising. She just saw that her thumb tastes yucky now and she hasn't even tried to put it in, in the last 4 days (or at least i haven't seen her) But maybe even though i don't see it, this was a hard enough habit to break for her? Should i just stick with the training pants, even though they're being kinda used as diapers ?
#5 of 5 Old 11-12-2004, 07:48 PM

i think you should just ease up on her a bit , and leave her in training pants. i read this thread because i am having potty training questions too, but my ds is 33 mos old... in my experience if he is wearing those disposable pull ups he just pees in them but if i have him in underwear he has an easier time remembering. even still, we are having accidents and he has diaper days if i am too busy to keep it up. a few weeks ago he was utterly opposed to going in the potty, even though he knew how to do it. i really believe in waiting till they are ready. everyone i know that starts early and struggles with the kid, ends up struggling till the same age...seems like 3 is the magic number for some kids. some kids are ready earlier. but no matter what you do you cant pressure them or force them, it doesnt seem to work, so why stress both of you out, just be casual about it. you might find that after a few days of merely suggesting the potty alot rather than a strict regimine, she might get more eager to try, thinking its "her" idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page