Birth control? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What type of birth control are you using?
Nothing: we want to get pg 20 100.00%
Extended BF, co-sleeping, nurse on demand, etc. 57 100.00%
Condoms faithfully 37 100.00%
Diaphragm 7 100.00%
The Pill 17 100.00%
Other 89 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got pregnant with an IUD. Miscarried at 13 weeks.
I got pregnant on the pill. Baby Erin died of SIDS at almost 6 months
I got pregnant on NFP. Baby Caitlin is now 17.
I got pregnant using nothing. Baby Madeline is now 8.
I got pregnant using condoms and film. The condom broke, so I was scared and took emergency contraception. Baby Claire is now 2. She was born emergency C-sec, so while they were in there I had a tubal ligation. They did not want to do this, but I insisted. I think I am allergic to birth control!!!
#62 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Banned

Not that I will ever have sex again, but I thought the sponge has been off the market for sometime? No???
#63 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 01:24 PM

I heard that some company bought the sponge company, and they're selling them online. Anyone know specifics??
#64 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gagesmom
I don't like the thought of an IUD, all those fertilized eggs not implanting seems too much like aborting them to me (I am pro-choice but abortion just isn't an option for me),.

i just want to say that this is not how the iud works. that is what they used to think, newer studies show otherwise.

the iud caused small inflamation in the uterus and the inflamation(read white blood cells) actually kill the sperm long b4 they are close to the egg.

im not trying to talk you into it, lol. i just want to dispell rumors.
#65 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tinaq

T The only thing that bothers me w/ the IUD are the SUPER heavy periods. I would really like to use The Keeper, but I'm afraid it just won't work w/ my cycles. Anyone w/ IUD & heavy periods tried The Keeper?
me! it works well for me. i use the keeper and a thin cloth pad just in case, but i only ever leaked once.

even if youre bleeding a lot. it seems a lot less when you use the keeper. even if you have to change it every hour or 2.

ive actaully heard that using hte keeper can lessen the amt. of bleeding (if youre using tampons) bc the fibers from the tampons and dioxins int he tampon can get in your skin and cause irritation and therefore cause more bleeding.

i dont know if its true, but its an interesting thought
#66 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 05:33 PM

THANK YOU, Fishy. Needed affirmation about the method the IUD worked (I'll fwd this to my dh, who also had ?s about that) & about The Keeper. I'm ordering one TODAY!

Tina
#67 of 78 Old 03-10-2003, 09:26 PM

Another copper IUD here but haven't resumed menses yet (think it's coming, though)... I'm curious to see if it's much heavier as I know that's a possible side effect and a couple women mentioned experiencing it. I'm also glad to hear the Keeper may be "doable" with an IUD as I'm interested in getting one.

I won't take hormones and NFP, despite sounding fascinating, is not an option for us (we don't want more children), and we got an Ian surprise using condoms.
#68 of 78 Old 03-10-2003, 10:55 PM

After trying many different types--mucus, pill, rythm we finally decided on a vasectomy. I know nothing goes without some kind of side efffect, but we have been really happy. My cycle has always been crazy and the pill made me feel like sh**. My husband and I knew that no matter what.....we were done having children. It's worked really well for us.
#69 of 78 Old 03-15-2003, 09:45 PM

I had my tubes tied and really, really regret it. I know I ddidn't need another baby, but oh how I want another one. Oh well...
#70 of 78 Old 03-17-2003, 01:31 PM

I'm pregnant right now, so we're not using anything, ( yipee ), of course now that I'm nearly 6 months along that honeymoon time of 4-6 months where I was constantly horny is fading fast, lol. Before ttc this baby we used a diaphragm.

Miranda

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#71 of 78 Old 03-19-2003, 10:10 AM

I had to check "other" because we're using the Fertility Awareness Method as described in "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. I love that book. I love tracking my cycle.
#72 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 12:56 AM

#73 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 12:58 AM

Wouldn't you agree that NFP and Fertility Awareness Method are the same???
#74 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 01:06 AM

Emma Jean, I guess when I think of FAM....I think of that allowing the possibility of barriers during the fertile time...and NFP not..???
#75 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 01:08 AM

That last post of mine really made a lot of sense, didn't it? Preggo brain at work....
#76 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 02:14 AM

No, you totally made sense. So it's more of a philosophy thing, that barrier methods are/are not ok. But they both use mucus and other signs to track fertility, right? I guess I just alwasy thought NFP and FAM were the same in the way that it's not the "calender method" or just checking your temp.
#77 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 02:47 AM

Am I the only one here that uses the cervical cap?? I just had a baby three months ago and wanted something in place for birth control. I got my moon back at 4 months with my son....so, didn't wanna take any chances. We're using sort of a combo of NFP and the cervical cap for my fertile times. I'm not totally confident in my ability to know my cycle just yet, so we use the cervical cap if I am even slightly fertile. I love it. Not as big and clumsy as a diaphragm and you can leave it in for a couple times, unlike the diaphragm.

Gotta run....my spaghetti-face 2 year old is licking his bowl...

Lisa
#78 of 78 Old 03-20-2003, 09:31 AM

EmmaJean,

My understanding is that NFP can include the FAM, but it doesn't necessarily include it.

NFP is more like a philosophy, am I correct? FAM is a more of a method and it includes mucus checking as well as temperature taking, cervix location and all that fun stuff. And you would either abstain or use barrier during your fertile days assuming that you don't want to get pregnant that month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page