Learning Tower buyer's remorse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2005, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I got an amazing deal on a learning tower yesterday. $75! It's something that I always thought would be kind of cool, but hadn't thought of too much just b/c they're usually so expensive. So now I'm feeling guilty, b/c on an impulse I spent $75 on something we didn't plan for.

So tell me, how do you like your Learning Tower? What all do you use it for?

I'm sure eventually I'll get over the guilt & we'll be happy we got it, but help me get over it a little faster ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 05:44 PM

where did you get it for $75 I am dying for one!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:47 PM

I love love love mine - in fact, I asked for it for MY birthday . My dd (25mo) uses it at the counter to help cook, pour, play, color, paint with water, etc. It's been great.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 PM

I thought you were going to say you didn't like it! We love ours - DD helps with dishes, cooking, food prep (she cuts strawberries with a butter knife...lol). It's awesome. We paid over $100 for ours and will get a LOT of use out of it for years to come!

Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranger
where did you get it for $75 I am dying for one!
A local store (Happy Bambino) was having a big 2-day post-Christmas clearance, w/ select toys 50% off. I went in to see if there was anything we were interested in, and there they were! The sale ended yesterday, though.

I'm sure my remorse would be worse if I *hadn't* purchased it. And lord knows, I get nervous perching dd on the barstool at the kitchen counter so this will be very helpful!
Old 01-31-2005, 06:24 PM

I am curious to hear the answers on this too! I have 'till tomorrow to decide if I want get one as my 50% off item from a Natural Family Boutique party I had on Sat. First I was going to get it, then I decided no, now I am not sure!!!

tayndrewsmama
Old 01-31-2005, 08:29 PM

It's funny since I was going to visit today to specifically ask advice about this very thing.

My ds's second birthday is just around the corner, and I've been toying with the idea of getting him one of these. It's way more than I would like to spend, but I'm so tired of the fights over the bar stools at the breakfast bar. And he so loves to be at the countertop height to color and play with playdough, etc.

My worry is that it will be either unused, or I'll end up having to move too much stuff from the kitchen counters (canister set, toaster oven, the usual stuff) that I'll end up wishing I hadn't bought it.

So do you all really, really, really think that it's worth $150? I tend to think that he'll love it and that we may end up using it for several years, but it would be nice to hear from some of you!

Oh, and if I decide to go ahead and order it... where should I get it from? I'd sure love to find a deal like the OP did, but I'm kinda in a hurry at this point!

--Olive
Old 01-31-2005, 11:55 PM

We love our learning tower! We actually carry them in our store and I ended up speaking with the woman who created them before I ordered them and she is sooo nice! Our daughter is just over 2 and we have had ours for about 4 months. She uses it all the time. It helps keep her near when we are cooking, she plays in the sink. She likes to stand in it and eat at the counter. It is also big enough that she and a friend can stand in it together. I am really glad we got it and would recommend the investment.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:35 AM

..We've had ours 4 or 5 months. We have a small kitchen, but we leave the tower at the end of the counter all the time - I have cleared that bit of counter of anything she can't play with. We don't use it for anything specific, yet we use it all the time. I leave DD's playdough tools and playdough up there, and so that's her playdough spot - helps keep her from trying to cart the playdough all over the house. Though she does sometimes drop it below the tower, it generally stays up there. One thing I didn't realize before I ordered it is that it is designed with holes such that the kids can climb up into it. She also just likes to play up there, on her own or when I'm working in the kitchen. She's bring toys up and play with them on the counter while I cook or clean. I think when she gets old enough to want to help cook (or at least when I get brave enough!) then it will be really great then too.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 02-01-2005, 03:47 AM

I just decided tonight while preparing dinner that I needed t purchase one for DD who just turned 2. She will LOVE it.

Anybody know where I can get the best price. Man - I would have loved to have paid $75.00 but Oh Well!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:03 AM

I would love one. we use a plastic box so it would be great for us, but probably too bulky for my apt.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:47 PM

We LOVE ours. I have a low cabinet next to it that I keep available for dd's kitchen things - cups, measuring spoons, mixing bowls, tea set, wooden cutting set, etc, etc, so she always has something ready to do at the tower even if she is not actively helping me cook. I must caution you however that she took a nasty fall onto her head from trying to climb UP the tower (on the top rails) - she actually got a concussion from it But that did not change my opinion of the tower - it just helped us all drive home the point that she CANNOT climb on top of it! She is a climber - if it wasn't the tower it would have been something else, and in general I love the safety of the tower.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:53 PM

I think it is probably a great tool in house but as a PP it can be in the way in an apartment. We have one and I, too got a really good deal at a pre school garage sale type sale. (mine was 20 bucks) We really never considered getting one before b/c we couldn't afford it at all but who can't afford 20 bucks. I told my DH if we hate it we could resell it for more than we paid.
If you have a spot where it can stay I am sure it is great. It is however very heavy to move back and forth each time DD wants to use it. However, I do love the safety of it and DD really gets into helping cook. She makes salad starting wth washing the veggies and finishing it off with croutons. It is very helpful and DD does love it. As soon as I start getting ready to make meals she says, "I need my tower"
If you don't have to lug it around I'm sure you wouldn't any negative feeings about it!! Enjoy!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 02-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins
It is however very heavy to move back and forth each time DD wants to use it.
Huh! I *wish* our LT was heavier! We've had ours for a year (since L and J were 11 months), and until recently I had NO complaints. . . but then recently L and J started pushing the LT all around the apartment, using it to help them climb up on all sorts of things including the STOVE! We ended up putting it in storage a couple of weeks ago because they were just getting into too many dangerous or otherwise unfortunate situations (opening the fish tank, putting lots of stuff in there). I am hoping that we will be able to take it out again soon and that the previous uses will be forgotten. In the meantime, I am trying to think of a way to attach some weights to it or something. It's a total bummer because we were using it in a good way for so long. We really miss it, and the boys ask for it every day when they want to help me cook. We have also had to tether all of our chairs to the table because they started using chairs in the same way. . . I think our situation is pretty extreme, but I just thought it was funny that someone thought the LT was hard to lug around since I'm really wishing it was harder for our almost two-yaer-olds to move around.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:49 PM

I always had my eye on one of those but the price...ouch! So instead I bought a stepstool from IKEA, $10 I think, and it was the best $10 I ever spent! It has one step and then the top platform. It's the highest stepstool I ever found so my 2 1/2 y.o can actually wash his own hands at any sink. He can stand or kneel on it and be the perfect height for the counter AND you can use it as an extra chair...sit on the platform with feet resting on the step and it's the perfect height for the dining table. We love it. And it's not too big to keep in the corner of the kitchen. I actually use it to cover the cat food bowls so my 9 mo. old won't get to them.
Blissfully multi-purposeful!

Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Oh, I want one! Dd loves to help us cook and she wants to brush her own teeth now.

I've been asking fil to make me one since I can afford it at normal price.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHmomOF2
I always had my eye on one of those but the price...ouch! So instead I bought a stepstool from IKEA, $10 I think, and it was the best $10 I ever spent! It has one step and then the top platform. It's the highest stepstool I ever found so my 2 1/2 y.o can actually wash his own hands at any sink. He can stand or kneel on it and be the perfect height for the counter AND you can use it as an extra chair...sit on the platform with feet resting on the step and it's the perfect height for the dining table. We love it. And it's not too big to keep in the corner of the kitchen. I actually use it to cover the cat food bowls so my 9 mo. old won't get to them.
Blissfully multi-purposeful!

LINK ME please

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:56 PM

Here you go...
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=15641

If the link doesn't work (not sure I did it right) just go to ikea.com and type in "stool" in the search box. It's called "Bekvam" and it's $9.99.

Only thing is you have to assemble it yourself. No biggie though!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

It took us a week, but we got it put together and we LOVE it. We do have a small house, and it's too big to just store in the kitchen so we have to move it in & out, which is a bit of a pain. But dd really likes being in there--we often just put one of her fisher price little people houses on the counter (we have the old-fashioned kind--it used to be mine) and she just plays & plays. I think she likes it b/c she can be at eye-level w/ the house! She also likes to stand in there and eat cheerios in the morning while I make the coffee, etc.

And dh, who was not so happy when I brought it home w/o discussing it w/ him first, says "It's a really good thing." And is now telling our friends about it.

So I'd say that if you can swing it, or if you find a good deal, GO FOR IT!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:19 PM

I have the IKEA stepstool. Very easy to assemble. I stained it first so it matches my other IKEA stuff. Got it for me, not ds. He's not big enough yet. Good to know it will work for him when he is. I still worry that he will fall off it... But I guess we'll cross (or fall off) that bridge when we come to it.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:13 PM

not sure about learning tower. ive never seen one but i am curious.

but my sister has one of those ikea stools and elwynn loves it! we are moving in with her soon, so he will be able to use it lots. its great as a highchair, booster and for all sorts of creative play too..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

User Tag List