Potty training a boy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought that all this stuff was kid stuff when we had three girls and then along comes a boy and proves that not everything is equal between the sexes. <sigh> Now first let me tell you that this is a VERY strong willed boy. As an infant he could out cry me through any nap that he was supposed to be taking as well as at night time until 1 a.m. when he finally passed out. I am no pushover, but how do explain to an infant that they are supposed to be taking naps and sleeping in a bed and not on an adults shoulder. I hurt a lot during that period from holding him so much. Ok, now you know how strong his personality is, let me also say he is as sweet as pure sugar and will hold a puppy gently and cautiously and kiss it on the head and tell me what a pretty baby it is and if he steps on a foot or bumps into someone he will say, "Oh Sowwy." before he runs off again. That is all good, I can deal with the personality and his sweet side, but this potty training is driving me NUTS! How in the world are you supposed to break a boy from pee peeing and pooping in their pull ups? He will also do this in cloth undies, although not as much, but generally speaking won't do it in the buff and will run to the potty if naked. He had great success for two days in pull ups then the last two days have been complete failures.
I have tried the candy jar, but then he has to pee/poop every two seconds and generally is really straining since he is just trying to squeeze a drop or two out. Exactly how does this method work and where am I going wrong?
<sigh>
Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can tell you what worked for my two year old boy, and that was going pantsless at home. It took about a week of this for him to get it down really well, and then we started wearing knit pants and underwear (so he could pull them down easily). I really do think it was the being naked that helps.

I am not a fan of Pull-ups.
#3 of 7 Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 PM

lurking, for the future...
#4 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 AM

My DS started to show and interest early on, so we ran with it (sorta). At 18 months we got a little toilet. We asked him if he wanted to go, and if he did, great. If not, no worries. We usually asked in the morning and before bed/bath.

Kept doing this even while we lived with my parents for 3 months over the summer. He did it more and would sometimes tell us before going. He particularly liked to go when my father was going. At the time, my dad was using a walker (broken hip in April), so DS always heard him walking to the bathroom and would beat him there. LOL!

I digress. At the new house, we kept the same momentum but "kicked it up a notch" after DS turned 2. Asked him more.

Then I got some cloth trainers (snap-ez) to use at home after the holidays. At nursery school, he uses pull-ups. (dislike pull-ups and huggies brand, but... Last week, the teachers said that we should start bringing him in with regular cloth trainers. So, I think we will finish off this week with the pull-ups, then go with old-fashioned gerber trainers -- I've spent too much on the good stuff! LOL

Anyway, at home, we do a lot of commando time. It really helps though DS did pee in his chair the other day. I also bought two big packs of stickers -- one set for upstairs and one set for downstairs. We have several free calendars, so we put one in his bathroom and one downstairs. He gets a sticker for each pee, and 2 stickers (or a big fancy helicopter one) for poos. He LOVES this. DH and I are both overweight, so food rewards would set a very bad precedent in our home -- plus I have no control and would eat all the sweet stuff. :

Your son has to be ready and show an interest or else it will really backfire. That is what happened to my nephew. He was sooooooo stubborn and my sister and BIL pushed so much that he would refuse to go at all. He would get constipated from holding it in and then a whole domino effect. He wasn't potty trained until almost kindergarten and would still have accidents at school if he was mad. Bad situation all around.

What I want to know is how the heck do you get them to stay dry at night. DS's diaper is SOAKED by morning.
#5 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

He is usually dry in the mornings, I just have to encourage him to get his diaper off and go. (yes we are using the diapers till we run out, but at night only) He has shown interest off and on in potty training, but it isn't consistent and when he is on the potty, he has to have the door shut and be left alone, he doesn't want any audience. lol. I wish he would take more of a stronger interest in it. He is less than one month shy of being three.
Lou
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 03:13 AM

i agree with the pants off at home suggestion.. thats how we do it. when my son has pants or undies or a diaper on he will go in his pants.. unless i take his clothes off and take him to the potty, but if he is bare, he will go on his own. i think the feeling of being covered up is confusing because they are so used to peeing/pooping in their diaper. my little guy is 2 and dfor the last week has pooped and peed in his potty exclusivly.. we still put i diaper on at night, but he wakes up dry. be patient.. all kids learn in different ways and speeds..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 12:34 PM

: My 3 year old has no to extremely mild interest in the potty. I'd try the nakie thing but it's so cold here & my house is old and drafty even if we were crazy (or rich) enough to set the thermostat at 75. I have the feeling that he isn't gonna get outta diapers until late spring / eary summer

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page