Tooth-brushing success! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At one time, our DD didn't mind having her teeth brushed, but the last few months have been really tough. She freaks out when we come at her with the toothbrush, and will end up throwing tantrums until she chokes. It's really, really hard.

On a whim, I picked up a child's electric toothbrush with a funny design on it. SHE LOVES IT! The vibration tickles her mouth and not only will she open wide for more, but she actually LAUGHS when we brush her teeth, AND she'll take the toothbrush and brush her own teeth for five or ten minutes afterward.

I highly reccomend it to anyone with toothbrush woes!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 AM

How do you get it away from her after she brushes her teeth herself??

My son isn't too bad about brushing, but when we finish and let him brush, he never wants to give it up! Maybe he'd tire more of the electric? Hmmm...
Old 02-02-2005, 01:10 AM

I think that the electric ones really do a better job, too. You don't have to worry about moving them back and forth in those tiny little mouths!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_mamamama
How do you get it away from her after she brushes her teeth herself??
Usually with a very quick hand and a two-parent distraction. DH will run up and give a run/tickle/hug and I'll kind of snatch it from her hand while her face is turned. Then it disappears. DH keeps her happy for another moment or two and by that time she's forgotten.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 02-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Not to rain on your parade. . . but the electric toothbrush only held ds's attention for about a week. Now we are back to the tantrums but with an electric toothbrush this time.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
Usually with a very quick hand and a two-parent distraction. .
Thanks - we have such a hard time getting him brushed, that often we're doing different things.(meaning I'm cleaning up from dinner and dh is trying the tooth brushing thing, etc.) I think we'll make more of an effort to be together so we can tag-team distract.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoreno
Not to rain on your parade. . . but the electric toothbrush only held ds's attention for about a week. Now we are back to the tantrums but with an electric toothbrush this time.
same here, only we started with the electric toothbrush and now I'm thinking about going non-tech to see if that works. any other suggestions.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions- I will scream it from the mountain tops as soon as I actually find something that works two brushings in a row. so far letting her brush mine while I brush hers works the best at getting tooth past up my nose and her teeth semi-clean
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM

jmoreno and grnmtnmama - we switch between the two. I hold them both up and ask which one dd wants. Then she puts the toothpaste on (sort of...she just wipes the toothpaste tube against the brush and gets a tiny bit which is all I want her to have anyway) and brushes. I usually do the last little bit to be sure she did well. She's getting her molars in so we talk a lot about brushing those new teeth. She'll then touch them and explore.

It's not always easy, but we persevered. It's one of those non-negotiables (like carseats) for me since I have such bad teeth and I'm concerned she will too. Thus, we really pushed the issue. Always gently, but it was still a non-negotiable.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:44 AM

We have found a great tooth brushing routine. DP pretends like he is the dentist.(DD went a few months ago and loved it) He says Jade the dentist is ready to see you. She knocks on the bathroom door and he tells her to come in. He already has the toothbrush waiting. He sits on the toliet and she lays on his lap. Head on on knee, kness on the other knee. She opens wide and lets him brush away. They talk about brushing and the tooth beave. Have you ever seen the ren and stimpy cartoon about the tooth beaveer?It is disgusting. We watched it with her once( I know not a kids cartoon) But whatever, she doesnt want the tooth beaver in her mouth.

Good Luck

darkstar
Old 02-08-2005, 07:00 PM

My new toothbrushing routine involves tv but it's worth it to me. I put in Teletubbies for 5 minutes and he's intranced and I brush away. The cleanest teeth he's ever had. Also, why didn't I think of this sooner, now that I told him I am CLEANING his teeth (not just brushing) he is more into it since he likes to clean. He signs "clean" when I'm done.

User Tag List