how much sleep for a 22 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son is 22 months and we cannot seem to get him to bed before ten. he just is not tired, even though we try to wear him out! he takes a nap usually 1-2:15 or 3 and wakes up in the morning at 8, (that is with me waking him, he would sleep longer, but then he will skip teh nap enitirely and crash at 6:30!). also, he will only nurse to sleep. i feel badly about that. does anyone else do that and have any ideas on how to transition out of it? i am getting a bit worn down with it. any help?

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Well he's sleeping 11-12 hours per day. My dd at that age slept about 11 hours per day.

Plus, untill I phased out naps she pretty much never went to sleep before 9.

The issue here doesn;'t sound like how much your dc is sleeping, but when he's sleeping. What is it about the late bedtime that isn't working for your family?
#3 of 6 Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM

My ds is 25 months old now, but he doesn't want to go to bed until 10pm usually either. I'm lucky if he sleeps in until 7am, though. He usually takes a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. The other day his nap only lasted 10 minutes (the dog woke him up and he wouldn't go back to sleep) and he still stayed up until after 9pm. The late bed time actually works for us since my husband works late. He sometimes gets home before 10 and can spend some time with ds, though. It's the 5 and 6am wake ups that do me in sometimes. I've tried to alter his schedule a little bit here and there, but have come to the conclusion that it's easier just to let him sleep when he wants to. Sorry I don't have any great advice. He nurses to sleep, too. Sometimes I wish someone else could get him to bed and sometimes I'm thrilled that I have a sure way to get him to sleep every night. I don't know what I'll do when/if my supply drops or when the new baby comes for that matter!

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm ... i think that i am just struggling with not having time for myself after a day at home with my ds and the half hour to hour of nursing down that it takes at nite. and we co-sleep, which i love, but it means that it is a long day and recently a lot of nursing at nite. anyone else experience a sudden increase in nite nursing? i guess he is getting enough sleep... and i know that it will change ... it always does! i am glad to hear that other kids go to bed late, in my community it seems that there is a 7:30/8 bedtime for all the other babies! but i think there is a lot of "sleep training" and not a lot of extended breastfeeding. i sometimes doubt my choice to respond to the schedule that seems to work best for him. it is great to hear about other moms and kids with similiar schedules.
thank you!
#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2005, 02:05 PM

Dd is 2 in 2 weeks and we co-sleep but she doesn't feed anymore. She still goes to sleep around 9pm usually downstairs on our laps as she did when I fed her. For the last few nights she has slept all night til 8.30. We are feeling odd about this still and wondering when longer sleeps actually start paying off your sleep debt! A month or so ago she was sleeping in til 9 or more in the morning and the earlier waking has only been since she started sleeping differently in the night.

She doesn't have a daytime nap and hasn't for about a year. The only time she sleeps in the day is on a Tuesday evening when I have to be at college and we are in the car at 5pm when its getting dark. I meet dh at college and he drives the kids home leaving me his car for later. He says she sleeps til they get home but wakes up fine when they get out of the car. This is like a once a week bonus nap for her but she doen't seem to need it other days - she's not cranky or over-tired.
#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoginimama
i am glad to hear that other kids go to bed late, in my community it seems that there is a 7:30/8 bedtime for all the other babies!
I know what you mean. My mil always make comments when she talks to dh or I on the phone later in the evening and ds is still awake. Dh's one brother's kids go to bed at 7pm everynight, no matter what. Needless to say they are being raised much differently than our ds!

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page