Mothering Forum banner

Jan/feb '04 mamas.. our first month here!!!!

2K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Karry 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread for us here... can you believe we're mamas of TODDLERS?? I just can't.. anyway, let's chat away!! how are you sleeping?? if cosleeping, what arrangement is working for you? how many times a night are you nursing? how many teeth does your baby have? is he biting? (can you tell I have lots of questions?)

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
I thought I'd start a thread for us here... can you believe we're mamas of TODDLERS?? I just can't.. anyway, let's chat away!! how are you sleeping?? if cosleeping, what arrangement is working for you? how many times a night are you nursing? how many teeth does your baby have? is he biting? (can you tell I have lots of questions?)

Thanks for starting this thread!

I am co-sleeping - dh isn't which is not too good for our marriage, we are in a twin bed in my dd's room where she will eventually sleep alone...maybe when she is say 18?!

Nursing - say a zillion times a night! But she has been sick and getting 3 molars so its understandable. I enjoy that quiet time with her.

She has 8 incisors one full molar, and 3 molars that have erupted all at once. She was biting when nursing, then scratching but has stopped now, she has not bitten anything else though luckily!

Still very verbal and still not walking! She has about 8 words and 10 signs but lately DAT has covered a multitude of sins!

Anyhow love hearing about everyones babies and ideas of how to entertain their beloved toddlers!

Also:

Books I am reading (and taking what works leaving what doesn't) would love to hear more!!

Tears and Tantrums - Aletha J Solter (very interesting)
The Emotional Life of Toddlers (interesting but dry)
Happiest Toddler on the Block (good for understanding your toddler)
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for toddlers (disagree with a lot of it but some is good)
The Discipline Book - Dr. Sears (very helpful esp. when frustrated!)
The Truth Will Set You Free: Overcoming Emotional Blindness by ******, Alice (in the mail)
The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley (excellent and working on it slowly but I have a high needs child here)
Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma J. Bumgarner (excellent!)
Parenting the Fussy Baby and the High-Need Child: Everything You Need to Know-From Birth to Age Five
by William Sears (excellent - need to re-read toddler section!)

I read when she is asleep luckily I don't need a lot of sleep myself!

#4 ·
I can't believe it...toddler? my little baby? but it's true...he's not walking on his own yet, but that can't be far off (although how long was it between walking on all the furniture, with hands held - to walking on own?), he says only a few words (papa, mama, doggy, bu-bye, hey) and squeals, laughs, bonks his head against mine, plays, plays, and plays....busy happy boy. Teeth are a struggle - he has 2 bottom and is cutting his first top with what looks like 3 close behind. That and he's had a cold this week, and DH was gone this weekend...i'm one tired mama. Anyway, sleeping has it's ups and downs. We don't cosleep, but DH or I is in the chair in his room holding him for awhile at least once in the middle of the night.

anyway, glad to find you all here. It's nice to read what's going on with others.

#5 ·
I can't decide if I was excited or sad to see us moved to this forum. But there is no denying it, I have a toddler.

Yep we are co-sleeping. We had been using the co-sleeper, and my queen size bed. DH hated how "small" the Queen was, but I had the bed from before we met when I was single. But when DS fell out of bed for the first time (crawling already) we switched to the King size mattress, put it on the floor and child proofed the room. Everyone is safer and has more room.

We have a very strong nursing relationship. In fact he was sick last week, and didn't eat solids for like three days. Now that he's well, it's as if we are introducing solids all over again. He is just not interested in anything but nursing.

I figured out that DS doesn't like to have the covers over him at night. So I put him in fleece PJ's and on top of the covers at night, and he is sleeping for much longer periods in the night. I can nurse at night without waking up, DH has witnessed the night nursing where niether DS or I wake, just sort of find each other in our sleep. Anyway I think he's only waking 2 or 3 times a night to nurse, and it's not disruptive to anyone, we go right back to sleep.

He's got 8 teeth, the four front ones top and bottom. He's been working on lower molars for at least a month, but nothing popped through yet. He's really good about not biting me. He has once or twice but I told him, that hurts mommy, and he started to cry. Such a sensative little boy. He didn't do it again.

The biggest news for me is he is finally napping!! He had been doing three 20 minute cat naps a day for so long I thought he would never settle. But now he's down to one nap a day and it's a long one. Anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours!!! Woo Hoo!!!

#7 ·
Can I join even if ds is a March baby? Benjamin just started walking 2 days ago (though he's been trying for much longer!) and so is officially "toddling" all over the house.

Benjamin has no teeth yet, but it looks like the bottom two are trying to poke out. So much for sleep! Speaking of sleeping . . . we've got a queen and twin pushed up together on the floor, dh on the twin, of course. He's not happy about it, but at least he's in the same room as we are! :LOL . Benjamin still nurses all night long, mainly to get back to sleep rather than eat. artgoddess--my ds doesn't like the covers, either. I think I'll try what you did.

He only has one word in his vocabulary: mamamamama. though I noticed just today he's trying some new sounds. It's such fun, isn't it!

#8 ·
another March babe here!
it's so hard to believe he's almost 1!
Like I said in the other thread he's been walking for over 2 months now..just recently he started saying "kitty cat" which is too adorable!
some ways he's so independant already and others still our little baby, I am savoring each day and soaking up the remaining babyness.

btw I am wondering what did you all do for your dc 1st b-days btw? did you have a big party? did they have b-day cakes? we are counting down the days already and want to do something special but not too overwhelming.

#9 ·
We will have a "toddler" as of Sat! I can't believe our little boy is going to be one!!! Seems this year has flown by. He's toddling around. Taking more and more steps each day. Took his first step about a month ago but never took more than 2 or 3 steps. Now he's walking (drunkenly
) across the room. He has 4 teeth and are working on more uppers. He'll bite me occassionally because he likes to turn to see what Daddy's doing without letting go!

As far as sleeping at night - our normal routine is he'll sleep in his crib the first half of the night and then come to bed w/ me when DH goes to work. But the last couple weeks, he's been fighting colds, an earaches, teething and just plain growing and won't sleep in his crib more then 30 minutes. So DS and I have been sleeping in the daybed in the guest room til DH goes to work. Also if I could get him to sleep longer at night. He's worked about 3-4 hours off his total night sleeping in the last couple months. Is this normal?

My dream would be to get him to take a nap by himself. He'll take a 2 hour nap but only if I hold him. If I try to lay him down he's up and won't go back to sleep. And he knows what I'm trying to do if we go back to our bed and lay down. Any tips?

He's not talking much at all. He says "dad" and "mama" but that's about it. I think part of it is bacause DH and I aren't together much to talk alot in front of him. Trying to read more to him.

Glad to be around other moms. Have no one irl.

#10 ·
I'm holding onto my baby for 2 more days! :LOL

We're still cosleeping, we coslept with the older two until they were 4 and 6 and will cosleep with Aidan as long as necessary.

He has 8 teeth (4 bottom, 4 top) and is trying to cut a couple more on the bottom. He "brushes" them with Sissy and Bub.

He started walking about a month ago and is now RUNNING and spinning in circles (his way of dancing, spin in a circle until he falls. :LOL)

I am LOVING this age!

#11 ·
Signing in with my toddler, who has been toddling for quite a while now. Parker started walking at about 9 months and now, at 13 months is running at breakneck speeds...It's a frightening sight to see an 18 pounder tearing around the neighborhood!
:

As far as nursing, she is going strong, 3-6 times a day for quick pit stops. She has never really been the lay around and nurse type (as I struggle to type this she is kicking me in the face, writhing around and making this terrible grunting noise at the breast.
) She is suddenly very into solids though and has a very adult tastes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by artgoddess
I figured out that DS doesn't like to have the covers over him at night. So I put him in fleece PJ's and on top of the covers at night, and he is sleeping for much longer periods in the night. I can nurse at night without waking up, DH has witnessed the night nursing where niether DS or I wake, just sort of find eatch other in our sleep.
Ditto what artgoddess said as far as co-sleeping, just exchange the "DS" for "DD."

Parker has 7 teeth and as far as I can tell is working on at least 4 more. She's a known biter but we're working on it.

She is very verbal: signs about 20 words and says about 10. She has also taken to screaming and throwing herself down on the floor which I suppose is another form of communication too (though it is sometimes hard to remember that).

Anyway, I am loving having a toddler...most of the time!

#12 ·
I've been going to the baby forum and just today realized I should probably in the toddler one! I can't believe this happened so fast!

DD is going to be one next week (sniff, sniff). She is not walking yet but it will be soon, I think. She jabbers nonstop but the only "real" word she says is mamamamama. She has eight teeth, two on bottom and four on top. Occasionally she bites me when nursing, then smiles really big at her joke. I tell her it hurts mama and set her on the floor. She usually starts to cry right away so I pick her up and let her nurse again. This happens every couple days or so.

We are co-sleeping and have no plans to stop anytime soon. She wakes up a few times each night to nurse but I either barely wake up or don't wake up at all. She also nurses a bunch during the day and is just now starting to eat more solid food.

mysonshine, I have the same problem with the naps. I hold her for her 2-3 hour nap every day because she won't sleep otherwise. I usually don't mind because I just play on the Internet or read, but sometimes I'd really like to get some things accomplished!

We celebrated her birthday with my family, who lives out of town, two weeks ago. We are having dh's family here on Saturday. It's going to be a small thing (eight people) but I think dd will have lots of fun.

I am so enjoying being a mama. This is absolutely the best stage yet. I'm making a movie for her with pictures of her whole first year and, sometimes when I'm working on it, it makes me cry because I can't believe how wonderul she is and how fast she's grown! Okay, done being sappy...

#14 ·
Alkenny & MoMommy - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who holds their DC to nap. I love holding him but it gets frustating to not be able to do anything. Esp. when I have things I need to do before I go to work.

Just as an idea (since every DC is so different) - how much does your 1yo weigh? DS at an appt last week was 19#6oz.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonshine
Alkenny & MoMommy - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who holds their DC to nap. I love holding him but it gets frustating to not be able to do anything. Esp. when I have things I need to do before I go to work.

Just as an idea (since every DC is so different) - how much does your 1yo weigh? DS at an appt last week was 19#6oz.
Me too, she will only nap on me! I like it though!

Celeste weighs 25 lbs - but she was 27lbs at 6 months and is still chubby.

#18 ·
Glad I checked this Forum and found you guys.

Alyssa is really walking well now. Still not talking much. Mama and dada is about it. And Bob, whoever that is. We are still co-sleeping. She likes to sleep upsidedown and sideways on the bed, so dh and I are usually over on one side of the bed, while she takes up the rest. I haven't been sleeping well since the other morning I woke up to her climbing over the Snug Tuck. Luckily she was getting onto the nightstand, so I heard her, but it scared me. Now I am paranoid she will crawl off the edge of the bed. We can't put the mattress on the floor or our huge furry dog will be able to get on it. She still nurses all night long.

I need to get some of those books you are reading Destinye. I don't know how I will find the time to read them though.

I too have to hold Alyssa in order for her to take a nap. It would be nice if she could sleep alone sometimes at least for awhile so dh and I can have some "alone time."

She weighed about 19 lbs last I checked a few weeks ago.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysonshine
Alkenny & MoMommy - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who holds their DC to nap.
Another nap holder here
My girls are asleep in the slings on me right now!

I can't believe we've moved to the toddler forum - wild! My girls are definitely toddlers, though! They're 13 months and have been walking since 11 so they're experts now

Nursing - still going strong. My big complaint these days is that if one of them is nursing, the other *must* nurse, too, even if she had no desire to the second before

Sleeping - we're still 5 to a bed
They're sleeping pretty well - maybe getting up 3 times a night most nights. The best part is that they pretty much consistently go to sleep around 7pm, are in bed around 7:30pm and stay asleep for most of the evening

Teething - Sadie has 14 (!!!!) teeth and is currently getting 2 more - she's a teething machine, it's crazy! Ella has 8 teeth and there's no sign of any more right now.

Talking - Ella has about 5 words - mama, daddy, bath, dog, cookie and a few signs as well. Sadie says most of the same words (not dog, though) and signs, too. They're definitely much less verbal than dd#1 was at this age.

They love playing with their big sister and I am *so* enjoying seeing their relationships develop. They love to dance, too, Ella does this funky shoulder thing while Sadie is into spinning

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BooBerryParker
She has also taken to screaming and throwing herself down on the floor which I suppose is another form of communication too (though it is sometimes hard to remember that).

Anyway, I am loving having a toddler...most of the time!

BooBerry, my DS does this too! Oh I have visions of us in the target one day and telling him he cannot have the Power Rangers toy and him have a full on fit in the middle of the aisle. I mentioned this to some friends at the super bowl party (they all have children, 3 or 4 of them) and they just laughed at me and said "Well of course that will happen, why should you be the only one who doesn't go through that?"
It soemhow made me feel better to hear that.

We went to Doc about two weeks ago and he was 26 lbs. But no height was taken. I imagine around 30 inches. He's always been stocky, but he's just starting to lean out and get taller. I'll find out next week for sure at his baby well check up.

We have only a few words, Ball, mama, dada, Key-Kah (kitty cat), then there are the animal sounds, Key Kah says "mao" lion says "Grrr" chicken says "bawk bawk". There is lots of pointing going on, and "asking" what things are, so I'm trying to help him learn. I feel we are about to have a language boom.

My dancer shaks his fists and stomps one foot, like he's at a hoe-down, with and occasional spin. Very fun to watch

#21 ·
artgoddess: i have the same vision only it takes place on the barbie aisle! :LOL

parker weighs about 19lbs. and is 30" tall. She's a string bean and has been since the beginning. Oh and her quad and calf muscles are perfectly defined (since birth- my ob said "wow, you have a soccor player on your hands" right when she came out)...I only wish my legs were so shapely!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMommy
Emma took three steps last night! Her first steps!

Congrats!!!

Can I join in? I wasn't with you all for the baby forum, but stumbled on you! And like one of the pps... I didn't realize I had a toddler now!

We have never really co-slept. DH is overweight and was very worried about crushing the baby... so unless DS is having a rough or needy night, he sleeps in his crib. Lately, he's with us from 3:30am on!

Still nursing and sick of hearing "when are you going to stop?". If I'm nursing at the time, I respond "when he's done". ARG! I actually had my former-nurse grandmother tell me it was UNHEALTHY!!!
:

Matthew was 18lbs. 5 oz. in mid-December, so I'm guessing close to 20 lbs. now. He is cutting tooth 5 and 6.

No words yet although DH thinks he's trying to say "Out"--which we are asking the dogs all day... "Out?" and that's the intonation the baby uses. wouldn't that be an odd first word?!? He has some significant developmental and sensory problems, so we're kind of lucky he's doing this at all.

Not walking, but EXTREMELY close! He just Tuesday was able to stand up without pulling up on something. We've seen him move his foot an inch--like a mini-step. I think it's a matter of days (2-3 weeks at most).

He's getting so big!!! My little Standy Man!!!

#26 ·
Hi! I finally found you all.

Well as far as sleeping goes, Nitara prefers her crib. We did family bed on and off for awhile but she let us know she likes her space. Honestly for all her issues she is really great about bedtime. Sleeping through the night is another matter, but she's ready to sleep at 8 PM and I just rock her for 2-3 mins and then put her in the crib and she closes her eyes and is asleep within 5 mins. I think I earned it after Abi (who still doesn't sleep through the night).

She is tube-fed all night long so I guess I can't answer the nursing question.

Biting-- Oh my she is turning into a little biter! She bites me to get attention if I won't pick her up right away, or today she bit me because I wouldn't put her down in the museum right at that instant. I can tell this is going to be a problem but hopefully one that we can nip in the bud through negative reinforcement such as walking away from her when she does it. She has 8 teeth and is working on her molars.

She's talking pretty well. She makes all kinds of animal sounds when she sees those animals in books or wherever. She knows a few other words and understands a lot more. She will touch her foot and her button (g-tube) if asked. She still crawls about half the time. Um, what else?

She is in therapy for her sensory issues and the brush therapy is working great. She's just starting to sleep through the night finally!!! By that I mean she wakes up but either puts herself back to sleep or she requires a small pat on the back. About 3-5 times a night. But she's sleeping in more in the morning. THe last week has averaged 10-11 hours. It's really a miracle. I was starting to lose it from sleep deprivation.

Nitara is growing well but it's slowing down a bit too much so she's moving up to the Pediasure-type formula this month. She's 20 pounds, 29.5 inches tall, head still on the small side. Still not eating anything by mouth at this point, still vomiting on a daily basis (up to 10 times a day). That really stinks because she won't eat until she feels better. She's going to an ENT this week to talk about ear tubes because she vomits up into her ears and I'm tired of ear infections.

So that's it for now! Glad we are still all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.